RC10 DS

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Shaker

RC10 DS

Post by Shaker »

I have been in RC for a long time and only have for the love of the hobby. I knew I had a couple of old car/truck stored but haven't had a reason to get them out because I run the modern ones. I came across the RC10 DS I got for one of my sons back around 1996. As you can see the paint on the body has begun to flake off after more than 20 years. It still works with the electronics that are on it but I would like to update to brushless. Just wanting a little advice on what may be a good upgrade. I also have the original Associated TC3 and want to install brushless on it.
Attachments
RC10 DS_4.jpg
RC10 DS_3.jpg
RC10 DS_1.jpg
RC10 DS.jpg
RC10 DS_2.jpg

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Re: RC10 DS

Post by LoboNYC »

Its awesome that you are looking to update a very very cool car, the RC10DS.

Ive restored three electric DS cars with Castle Creation's Sidewinder 3 brushless motor/esc combo units and was totally happy with performance.

The speed is adequate for me with using nickel metal battery stick but if you are looking to gain more speed then you can always opt to use Lipo packs.

Im not sure if your tires are in good grippy shape but if you cant replace them with an original set (which are hard to find without some dry rot), you can modify the front axles to accept 12mm hex wheels and mount some fresh modern rubber. There several posts on here that will aid you in the conversion process using readily attainable parts

My way was to replace the DS front knuckles and c-hubs with the those from the SC10 4x4. The only mod is to enlarge the hinge-pin hole to accept the DS pins and to reposition the ball ends for the tie rods. Unfortunately the c-hub and knuckles are no longer available from the vendor i purchased them from.

If you manage to perform the conversion then you will have options for different wheel/tire combinations. That in turn will allow you to get more creative with your rebuild.

These are 12mm hex aluminum wheels mounted on a modified front topped off with an HPI Lambo body.

Good luck with your project...cant wait to see the outcome. :D