Bolink Round Tracker: Project Awesome Bill From Dawsonville

The place for all things BoLink.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Bolink Round Tracker: Project Awesome Bill From Dawsonville

Post by morrisey0 »

Picked up a Bolink Round Tracker a little while back just to add to the pan car collection. I picked the car up mainly because many of the nylon pieces are engraved with "minicars" which I believe was a Swedish brand bought out by Bolink, but the fact that the markings are still there peaked my interested.

A little rough and dated from the beginning:

BOLINK RT 1.jpg
bolink rt 2.jpg
Did a little work to figure out the semi-close measurements of the original radio plate as the one on this car was cut in half, then printed off a few mock ups. Once I got it close, I sent the specs off to FactoryWorks. Jeff already had the Bolink Digger plates on file, which are the same front susp plate, rear susp plate, and rear pod top plate. The Digger main chassis was also the same dimensionally, but not drilled for the Round Tracker radio plate. With the radio plate worked out, Jeff was able to "place" it on the main chassis design and drill the holes to match. Cannot thank Jeff at Factory Works more for his help on this this car, another present car, and I am sure future cars!!

bolink rt 3.jpg
Before long, parts arrived. And of course did the whole restoring of what parts would be reused and replacing what was bad. Which, really nothing outside of the chassis and one oilite bushing was bad on this car, and most of the hardware was 6-32 stuff, so a trip to Lowes got most of the SS fasteners taken care of. I already had the Bolink motor sitting around, so it now has a home.

bolink rt 4.jpg
bolink rt 5.jpg
I picked up an Aristocraft Tx/Rx system [almost] NIB just because I think Aristocraft stuff looks older than it is, and I originally wanted to try to look like a 1980ish car to be correct with the chassis. The Aristocraft / HiTec black is like a brownish black, and the plugs are large and white, and just the whole thing looks more correct for an early '80s rig. I thought I had worked out a deal on a couple of Zeta Pro Micro ESCs, which again aren't as old as this chassis, but give the look of being that old. But the eBay seller decided to never actually ship them. :( I then found an Aristocraft ESC NIP from the same period, so that is on the way and should match the rest of the electronics fantastically, and it is BEC which the Zeta was not.

bolink rt 6.jpg
Then came the whole ordeal with wheeltrack and bodywidth. Basically, pan car bodies from this era were all over the place, and you just kinda hoped you found a body you liked that was somewhat close to the dimensions of your chassis. As you can see in the first pics, the Round Tracker came with some very narrow front wheels, and they didn't even match the design of the rears (this was stock). I found some Bolink "front wheels to be used with adapter," but they are literally 1.5" wide, exactly like the rear wheels. I ended up cutting a pair down to match the front wheeltrack of a body that I thought I was going to use. But then, after some random searching, THE BOLINK BODY came to me! That of Awesome Bill From Dawsonville! :D My dad was a die hard Ford guy, and a semi-Nascar fan, which meant while I was growing up in the 1980s, Bill Elliot was a hero! The wheelbase of the body is close enough, and I actually need to use another pair of front wheels not cut as much to match the body, but it should fit very well when done.

bolink rt 7.jpg
bolink rt 8.jpg
bolink rt 9.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Frankentruck

Re: Bolink Round Tracker: Project Awesome Bill From Dawsonville

Post by Frankentruck »

Any opportunity to say Awesome Bill from Dawsonville is worth it. :lol:
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Got the ESC in and installed. Made up a "stealth under-body" antenna mount. Love the look of it all. I originally thought the battery pack would have been held in by a removable zip tie system like an old Tamiya, but I ended up with another Round Tracker / Invader variant, and it had large o-rings holding in the battery. So a future goal will be finding some larger orings locally that will hold in a battery pack. I need to rewire the primary wires to the motor, which have to be 18awg to fit properly, which happens to be a gauge I don't have sitting around, so as soon as that shoes up, I can finish up that portion of it.
Attachments
bolink rt 10.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Save yourself a lot of trouble.

https://www.harborfreight.com/382-piece-o-ring-assortment-67554.html

I use them for all kinds of stuff. Motor lathes, shock limiters, etc.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:04 pm Save yourself a lot of trouble.

https://www.harborfreight.com/382-piece-o-ring-assortment-67554.html

I use them for all kinds of stuff. Motor lathes, shock limiters, etc.
I have their smaller rubber and NHBR oring kits, but had no idea they had large ones! I will pick up a kit tomorrow. Thanks!

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Rainy Sunday was supposed to be body painting day, but with the second color, I ended up covering half the inside body with overspray. Have to wait until later this week before I can get some nitro fuel for clean up and move on. But then rainy Sunday turned into finishing up the chassis, and then decided to get a little fancy on the tires. So, I am happy with the results of everything so far save the body, but hopefully it will end up okay. :)
Attachments
bolink rt 11.jpg
bolink rt 12.jpg
bolink rt 13.jpg

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I use 90% isopropyl alcohol for cleaning overspray.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Finally got 90% of the details completed. I thought when I started this that there would actually be an '80s 1/10 No.9 decal set available, but none that I could find. The small generic sponsor decals are MCI, but everything else is homemade. I can honestly say that I have more time on the body than on the rest of the car, and it still has multiple bits of "character" on it, but I am getting better as I go.
Attachments
BRT COMPLETE 1.jpg
BRT COMPLETE 2.jpg
BRT COMPLETE 3.jpg
BRT COMPLETE 4.jpg
BRT COMPLETE 5.jpg
BRT COMPLETE 6.jpg
BRT COMPLETE 7.jpg

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Well done 8)
Attachments
675AFCF4-4C76-4F93-AE3A-6C57DA5AC90E.jpeg

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

Very well done, sir! :D An excellent tribute to one of my all time favorite race cars/drivers/engine builders. I loved watching Bill win when I was a kid, because I was the only Ford guy around. :lol: Later, when I realized it was essentially a family operation, the respect and admiration climbed even higher.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Oh wow! Your ahead of me...was gonna do that exact paint scheme and wheels!
This is the greatest build ever! Should have won BOTY!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Build of the Year!
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros