New to me Factory Team RC10T3

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

wunjee

New to me Factory Team RC10T3

Post by wunjee »

So there I was, innocently browsing the ole' eBay for an RC10T roller, shocked at how brutally-expensive they've become, when I stumbled across this gem. From the body it just looked like an old T3 RTR roller. A million of them out there, right? But then I dug deeper and started looking at the pictures..

No. It's a Factory Team truck. At least I'm pretty sure it is. It looks like the original body and wheels/tires were replaced at some point along with the springs but everything else is original Factory Team RC10T3. Graphite arms, towers, chassis, battery strap and the blue anodized motor mount and kick plate are signature, along with the teflon-coated shocks and MIP CVDs. It even has the felt padding around the battery box and on the forward part of the motor mount that the Factory Team had. And it's remarkably clean. It looks like it got very little use.

I've got a new body, wheels and tires coming for it. Decided to stay oldschool and went for a modern lipo-friendly brushed setup that should still have it scooting pretty darn well.

Man, this takes me back! When I was 12 or so I had an RC10T that was ancient even by that time and my buddy had a T2. One of his friends came to hang out with us and brought his then-brand-new T3. We were blown away at how it seemed to be lightyears ahead of our antiquated junk! Haha.

Still looking for that RC10T roller though...
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Frankentruck

Re: New to me Factory Team RC10T3

Post by Frankentruck »

For that brushed motor, just be aware that long run times will cook it. I've run one with 3000mah NIMH batteries and it can get really hot if you go continuously for the length of the battery.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Nice find, really like the truck. Like Frankentruck mentioned, be careful with that cheap Radon motor. You can easily fry it within one full charge 3000mah 2s lipo. On the street at that, don't even need to be off-road. When you run it, check it every 5 minutes or less.
-Jerry-

wunjee

Post by wunjee »

Thanks for the heads-up on the motor! I've got this same motor running in an RS4 MT and an RS4 Rally (Two other cars from my teenage years!) and never had an issue but I'll be sure to keep a close eye on it.

This one's going to be a pavement princess. I found a set of new-old stock Road Hawg IIs and those are going on the repop JConcepts wheels. I'll run it every now and then on the road in front of my house and maybe on the carpet track at the local hobby shop but yeah, I'm not looking to beat it up too badly.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

wunjee wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:51 am So there I was, innocently browsing the ole' eBay for an RC10T roller, shocked at how brutally-expensive they've become, when I stumbled across this gem. From the body it just looked like an old T3 RTR roller. A million of them out there, right? But then I dug deeper and started looking at the pictures..

No. It's a Factory Team truck. At least I'm pretty sure it is. It looks like the original body and wheels/tires were replaced at some point along with the springs but everything else is original Factory Team RC10T3. Graphite arms, towers, chassis, battery strap and the blue anodized motor mount and kick plate are signature, along with the teflon-coated shocks and MIP CVDs. It even has the felt padding around the battery box and on the forward part of the motor mount that the Factory Team had. And it's remarkably clean. It looks like it got very little use.

I've got a new body, wheels and tires coming for it. Decided to stay oldschool and went for a modern lipo-friendly brushed setup that should still have it scooting pretty darn well.

Man, this takes me back! When I was 12 or so I had an RC10T that was ancient even by that time and my buddy had a T2. One of his friends came to hang out with us and brought his then-brand-new T3. We were blown away at how it seemed to be lightyears ahead of our antiquated junk! Haha.

Still looking for that RC10T roller though...
Welcome to the board. What an excellent looking T3. You can still get some good deals on older rc10B's and T's but you have to be patient.
If you are looking for street running only you can look to lower the ride height by putting spacers under the shock pistons. Running on the street you will have less concerns about overheating the motor. Just grab it every few minutes and as long as it isn't too hot to hold you should be fine. If it is drop a tooth on the pinion let it cool down and repeat. Winter is approaching as it gets colder you can go for faster and longer runs.

wunjee

Post by wunjee »

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I've been in this hobby for a very long time and it's always nice to join a new community and find friendly, like-minded people.

I got my wheels and tires in. Body came in too but I'm waiting for decals and paint for that.

So until then, have a couple pictures with my recently-restored (and already dusty.. Jeeze..) RS4 MT. Two of the best trucks of the late 90s!
PXL_20231015_005057527.jpg
PXL_20231015_005249396.jpg

wunjee

Post by wunjee »

Coming together.

She's a runner again. I still need to glue the tires on - waiting for tire glue. I didn't realize the V2 of the Quicrun 1080 didn't include the programming card so I had to figure out how to do that to disable the drag brake but everything else is good to go. I also replaced most of the hardware (at least the hardware that wasn't that cool blue...) with stainless steel.

Just waiting on paint and decals to get the body done now. Can't wait!

There's also someone selling the blue shock caps on eBay and I'm watching those like a hawk..
Attachments
PXL_20231020_054927454.jpg
PXL_20231020_060843328.jpg

wunjee

Post by wunjee »

And she's done.

I'm happy with the results.
Attachments
PXL_20231029_011348522.jpg
PXL_20231029_010401778.jpg
PXL_20231029_010349818.jpg
PXL_20231029_010341261.jpg
PXL_20231029_010323912.jpg
PXL_20231029_010311063.jpg
PXL_20231029_010257546.jpg

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

wunjee wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:08 pm And she's done.

I'm happy with the results.
That's a great looking result. You can get some foam to keep that battery from sliding around when you drive it.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Sweet T3. Yellow wheels go nicely with the blue I think. Did you end up getting those shock caps? Didn't bid, but I was watching them as well just to see what they went for. The other set on there have a buy now price of $55.
-Jerry-

wunjee

Post by wunjee »

Yeah I ended up winning those shock caps. Man, they look great on the truck!

This was a fun project. I'd really like to get it down to the carpet track on a free-run night. I think it'd be a lot of fun there.