TC3 composite oudrive wear. Alternatives?

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

OldSchoolGuy
Approved Member

TC3 composite oudrive wear. Alternatives?

Post by OldSchoolGuy »

I've been searching the threads here for some alternatives to TC3 outdrives. I actually have the Factory Team TC3, which came with the composite outdrives, part 3908. I guess the RTR and standard kits came with the steel outdrives , part 3912. But the slots on my composite outdrives are getting ovaled out where the drive axle pins slide back and forth. I can find original TC3 outdrives on eBay, even an occasional composite one. But they are expensive! And I'd need two, one for front axle, one for rear. It appears that the Factory Team TC4 had the same 3908 composite outdrives, but the steel version is part number 31062. Not sure why this part number change happened, because they both use the 6579 round (Non-D) diff rings. Are any other Associated cars outdrives directly compatible with the TC3? Or am I solely looking for TC3/4 parts? The Nitro TC3 seems to have a completely different front axle. Would that be compatible? It seems like most of the parts I see on eBay are for this axle. Then there is also the front spool conversion, but it says you lose front brakes with that, and I really am not in favor of losing the front brakes. Or did any other manufacturers make a better part for this?

Second part of this question is, while I first thought I wanted steel outdrives to replace my composite pieces, now I'm not so sure. Steel outdrives with the steel pins on the axles would wear more than the composite outdrives, wouldn't they? I mean with the composite outdrives, I think the steel pins on the axles would probably live a lot longer, restricting most of the wear to the composite outdrive cup, instead of the pin. So maybe I should just stick with the composite pieces?

JosephS

Re: TC3 composite oudrive wear. Alternatives?

Post by JosephS »

OldSchoolGuy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:09 am I've been searching the threads here for some alternatives to TC3 outdrives. I actually have the Factory Team TC3, which came with the composite outdrives, part 3908. I guess the RTR and standard kits came with the steel outdrives , part 3912. But the slots on my composite outdrives are getting ovaled out where the drive axle pins slide back and forth. I can find original TC3 outdrives on eBay, even an occasional composite one. But they are expensive! And I'd need two, one for front axle, one for rear. It appears that the Factory Team TC4 had the same 3908 composite outdrives, but the steel version is part number 31062. Not sure why this part number change happened, because they both use the 6579 round (Non-D) diff rings. Are any other Associated cars outdrives directly compatible with the TC3? Or am I solely looking for TC3/4 parts? The Nitro TC3 seems to have a completely different front axle. Would that be compatible? It seems like most of the parts I see on eBay are for this axle. Then there is also the front spool conversion, but it says you lose front brakes with that, and I really am not in favor of losing the front brakes. Or did any other manufacturers make a better part for this?

Second part of this question is, while I first thought I wanted steel outdrives to replace my composite pieces, now I'm not so sure. Steel outdrives with the steel pins on the axles would wear more than the composite outdrives, wouldn't they? I mean with the composite outdrives, I think the steel pins on the axles would probably live a lot longer, restricting most of the wear to the composite outdrive cup, instead of the pin. So maybe I should just stick with the composite pieces?
Dynotech racing https://www.dynotech-racing.com/
Has made vehicle specific out-drives via CNC to aluminum, steel and titanium. They may be able to make a run of TC3 outdrives. They usually charge 40-60 a set depending on the material. You have to e-mail them to ask. Sometimes they sell on e-bay.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Spool you'll still have brakes but no diff action so your steering will generally be reduced, both front wheels are essentially locked together.

One way will have no front brakes and will only have front drive when your on power.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

OldSchoolGuy
Approved Member

Post by OldSchoolGuy »

Cruising around eBay, I happened to find a brand new set (both front and rear) of factory 3908 outdrives for a very reasonable price. Bought them in a heartbeat! So that will definitely buy me some time and I'll install these the next time I have the car opened up for maintenance or repair. Associated recently had a blowout sale of the small gears in the differentials for only $1 per pair, so I bought several. So with new outdrives and new small gears, I should be set for a while. Last time I had the diffs opened up, they still felt nice and smooth, so the rings and balls seem to be doing just fine so far. But I probably ought to pick up some rebuild kits while I can find them. Ah, the joys of maintaining a vintage car! :lol: