restorations questions???

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

blksheep214

restorations questions???

Post by blksheep214 »

Ok, first questions,

I need parts, where is the best place to order parts from, who has the most selection?

Here are a few things I already I know I need or want. Front suspension mounts #6207, front suspension mount screws #61. Motor mount #6607. (The holes where the gear box cover screws into are stripped out.) I have a new gear box cover but it wont screw in. So either I get a bigger screw and keep drilling out the hole or get a locking nut on the back just get a new motor mount. I would prefer the new mount, but if not possible will settle for one of the other options. Also I would like to get a new transmission, preferably a stealth. Know anywhere to get one? and do they come with a ball bearing set installed? or will the ones work from the original transmission? Are there any modifications that need to be made to install a stalth transmission?
The final subject I have is with my radio. I havent looked into it too much yet, but when I got it running again and got it out on the street, I noticed a lot of interference with the signal, even up close. I have a magnum Jr. controller, any ideas what might be causing it? Also any idea where I could get a new battery holder for the controller. Or do you think I would be better off scrapping the entire thing and getting a new radio?

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Re: restorations questions???

Post by Asso_man! »

You will find a bunch of parts still available from TowerHobbies, search for RC10, but you won't find a motor plate for example, I think most of the parts for the Stealth are available. Otherwise, your best bet would be Ebay and then later on trades or deals with members. RC10 parts are quite common and you may want to buy a whole car for parts instead of buying tons of new parts. Not all Stealth trannies have bearings, and those can't be swapped between the original 6-gear and the later Stealth tranny. You could also opt for a RPM transmission change box (top shaft and cases only) to run hotter motors (higher end ratio), still available too I think from Tower. You will need either a chassis already drilled for the Stealth to bolt it to your older chassis as a pattern or find the original drill guide by Associated to install the Stealth.
Concerning your radio gear, it might be de-calibrated after all those years of sitting in the attic. I would get a newer system that is reliable, that will also help not scratching too much your beautiful gold tub...

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

parts: HERE

RPM tranny case (you'll have to source a motor plate, a diff unit and an idler gear + slipper): HERE

and more tranny parts HERE

blksheep214

Post by blksheep214 »

AAAAHHHHGGGGG!!! There blocking me from those sites at work. I guess I will have to wait till I get home to check them out.

thanks for the tips I have been looking on E-bay for parts and cars to see what I should be expecting to pay. The good news is I do have a second gold pan that was purchased at the same time. It was my brothers, I had to build it for him, then somehow I ended up with it when he couldnt fix it when it broke, and you know they do take a beating. Anyway I used alot of stuff from it on mine back in the day, I can do it again, but eventually would like to get them both going. Problem with buying a whole new car is if I did that, I would want to rebuild that one too. Kinda a vicious circle!!!

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

You might also want to take a look at the useful links HERE where you can find links to the original manuals in PDF and tons of other tips :wink:

blksheep214

Post by blksheep214 »

I just did that this morning, at work to save my ink, and my paper at home. HA, anyway come monday morning I start tearing it apart, nervous and excited!!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

blksheep214 wrote: Problem with buying a whole new car is if I did that, I would want to rebuild that one too. Kinda a vicious circle!!!
It is a very vicious cycle...I call it collectoritus! I ended up with alot more stuff than I ever thought I would from that there alone. This place only fuels that disease :mrgreen: .
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Hey blksheep,
My LHS has 2 of the motor mounts you are lookin for hangin in the shop so if you can't find one drop me a line and I can get it for ya.
Or there was a place with .99cent shipping called LiquidRC.com or something like that. One of the members sent me there and I got the front screw mounts like you need and they had a bunch of stuff too. Good luck.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!