??? Tamiya Grasshoper Oil Shocks

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fordtransman
Approved Member

??? Tamiya Grasshoper Oil Shocks

Post by fordtransman »

Does anyone have information, ads, photos, part numbers, etc. about Oil-Filled coil over shocks for the Tamiya Grasshopper, either a Factory Tamiya hop-up, or aftermarket ???

civilguy
Approved Member

Re: ??? Tamiya Grasshoper Oil Shocks

Post by civilguy »

They were the same as the Hornet shocks from Tamiya. You can find "Hornet shocks" on eBay -- set of 2 and parts about $13 (TH19) and then you will need the Hornet D tree for the plastic bits to mount them.
There were aftermarket ones as well (CRP, Parma, etc) but they are sought-after and can be pricey.
Good luck!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

I came across a Grasshopper that belongs to a friend, not much left of it, He wants to sell it. I am trying to identify if the shocks are aftermarket, I have no way to know. I was going to ask over at Tamiyaclub, but I thought I would give it a shot here. Later tonight I will post photos.

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

How much does he want for it?

Regards,
highwayracer

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Do they look like this? If so they are stock Hornet shocks.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/images/product/picture.html?category_id=250&product_id=58336&picture_id=gallery_2.jpg

BTW a ratted-out Hopper isn't worth too much unless it's got some rare hopups on it-- front oil shocks and shock tower or aluminum nerf bars. You can get the re-re kit for about $85 and the Hornet is about $115.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

Thanks for the photo. Its hard to tell, since I can't see the top of the shock in the photo. The front and rear shocks are IDENTICAL to each other, as in design and style, of course the fronts are shorter. The top cap and bottom spring cups of my shocks are slotted, which is hard to tell in these bad photos. There is blue on the front shocks, obviously from some state of corrosion from leaking. This unit may in fact be a Hornet. The fellow modified it with blackfoot wheels/hubs to run truck-style. Here are some BAD photos from my famous cell phone. (Christmas is coming) Looking again at the Tamiya page photo, the shock spring cups (bottom) do not appear to have the knurling that is on my shocks. Also on my front shocks, the entire body and cap, including the area under the spring, has slots) Also, the rear shock bodies have a distinctive "step" at the outlet area of the shock shaft, where the Tamiya page photo seems to be more of a gradual curve from the body length to the exit of the shaft. I will take off the shocks and try to clean them up for better photos.
Attachments
2d6126386802.jpg
2d6126386802.jpg (31.35 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
2d6126386802.jpg
2d6126386802.jpg (31.35 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
e03e8106d86f.jpg
e03e8106d86f.jpg (25.8 KiB) Viewed 5895 times
e03e8106d86f.jpg
e03e8106d86f.jpg (25.8 KiB) Viewed 5895 times
5014deb6e728.jpg
5014deb6e728.jpg (22.82 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
5014deb6e728.jpg
5014deb6e728.jpg (22.82 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
8f0d8a6036c1.jpg
8f0d8a6036c1.jpg (23.95 KiB) Viewed 5894 times
8f0d8a6036c1.jpg
8f0d8a6036c1.jpg (23.95 KiB) Viewed 5894 times

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

That is a Hornet rear end-- could have started as a Grasshopper tho! To me it looks like standard Tamiya rear shocks-- the photo I posted was of the re-re, so they may have changed slightly but the way they are mounted and the 'look' of them makes me think Hornet OEM parts.
The fronts are Parma units (blue color) and are collectible. If that's all there is to what he's selling, imho it's not worth much. If there's a box of parts/spares too, maybe a little more. See how cheaply you can get it. ;)

On a side note, it looks like the front axles are held in with screw pins. The original Hornet/GH fronts had a straight pin held in with a grub screw on the back of the steering knuckle. The re-res went to the screw pin.... but from memory the Pumpkin/Lunchboxes (those are LB wheels as well!) originally used screw pins-- so that may be vintage as well. Good luck!
Jeff

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

Before anyone gets excited over the front shocks being Parma, I would like to take them all off, clean them somewhat and get better photos.

At this point, the car is considered just short of junk. I spotted the shocks and thought they were different. The rest is prob just junk.

I have no idea what the demand is, so if anyone wants these shocks or other parts let me know, I would prob let them go for $10.00 and prob $2.00 to ship. Enough to buy lunch with a large soda. I know this prob belongs in BST now.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I'm sorry- I thought you were still looking to buy this. It sounds like you got it.

I wasn't trying to get anyone riled up!! :wink: Even Parma shocks that are trashed have some value for their components, just not as much as a minty set. And as far as the rest being junk, it would probably make a fine runner-- my GH looks pretty beat but it still goes like stink!! 8)
Jeff

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

hello All,

The only differences between the hornet and the grasshopper are:

motor / pinion / motor spacer
D parts tree and hardware
body
rear tires
small springs and bar that "floats" the front of the gearbox
oil shocks on the hornet

I would guess that this was a hornet and the previous owner replaced the front gearbox mount with the part from the grasshopper. Both parts were included in the hornet kit. I also did this when I got my hornet because it handled better on pavment and it got rid of the clicking noise everytime I accellerated.

The rear shocks are the stock hornet shocks. The front shocks are made by You-G and were sold by different companies. The ones I have on my car were sold by Trinity. Kits such as the Panda Cyclone and the Mugen Manx came with the You-G aftermarket parts...which included the front shocks.

Below is a picture of the shock:
hornet front.jpg
The shocks look great, but they really don't work all that well. The CRP setup (shock and aluminum shock tower) was better because the shock was much stronger, gave more suspension travel and came with softer springs.

It looks like it needs a good clean up, but would be great for bashing. Clean it up and run the heck out of it!!! We need more hornet people on this forum. :D

Regards,
highwayracer

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Hard to tell from the pictures I guess.... I believe this is a Parma shock kit:
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img13616_07032006220310_2.jpg

I was very close... lots of good info highwayracer!
Jeff

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

Thanks for the info. If that last photo is for a parma shock, it is DEFINATELY not a parma. The shock body is NOT threaded.

I am not interested in the car myself, I was hoping that someone here could use it. I will likely give him 10.00 for it, then put it on a shelf in the garage until the last calling... I cant ANYTHING R/C get tossed!!

Thanks for the shot of the You-G shock... Thats the ONE!!!