Jammin Jay Winning Edge VHS Tape

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Jammin Jay Winning Edge VHS Tape

Post by scr8p »

that video minded me that i still need the "mickey thompson" decal for the roof on my halsey replica.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

fantastic, simply fantastic. I've been waiting years to see that tape. Thank you so much for putting it up on Youtube so that everyone can watch it.

Here's one of my RC10's, does it ring a bell?

More here: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2673&start=0

Image Image Image Image Image

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

david, i thought of your car as soon as i saw the video. :)

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

scr8p wrote:that video minded me that i still need the "mickey thompson" decal for the roof on my halsey replica.

after watching that video, i think to make a halsey replica you will need a bandsaw, dremel tool, countersinks, milling machine, table saw, hacksaw, and belt sander lol.

ive have still never seen a 6 gear tranny spin freely for more than 40 seconds. i guess thats why i never did good at races backin the day lol

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

mikedealer wrote:
scr8p wrote:ive have still never seen a 6 gear tranny spin freely for more than 40 seconds. i guess thats why i never did good at races backin the day lol
Yeah, I think that's why there were so many "replacements" people came up with back in the day. MIP's weren't cheap, cost as much as the whole car, and they couldn't keep 'em i the hobby shop.

Anybody remember the chain-drive tranny? :shock:
(can't remember who made 'em)

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

team pit stop made the chain drive tranny. there welt belt drive trannys (A&L and trackmaster), along with the 3 gear designs like MIP made.

always amazed me how many hopups and options were made for the rc10, and yetthat core car, with the 6 gear tranny was always enough to win the race. hopups helped and were cool, but wasnt the deciding factor out there

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

team pit stop had the chain drive trans.

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

mikedealer wrote:team pit stop made the chain drive tranny. there welt belt drive trannys (A&L and trackmaster), along with the 3 gear designs like MIP made.

always amazed me how many hopups and options were made for the rc10, and yetthat core car, with the 6 gear tranny was always enough to win the race. hopups helped and were cool, but wasnt the deciding factor out there
I guess the point was, back in the day, it was just so frustrating to people to spend hour after hour working on a 6-gear trying to make it work - oftentimes unsuccessfully - when they were able to buy other options that worked sooooo smoothly out of the box.

The "team drivers" were stuck running factory components, for the most part, but especially major components like tranny's. Everybody else had options, which was easy to jump on - and eventually led to the end of the 6-gear (I guess after much complaining by the factory drivers). ;)

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

RER40 wrote:
mikedealer wrote:team pit stop made the chain drive tranny. there welt belt drive trannys (A&L and trackmaster), along with the 3 gear designs like MIP made.

I guess the point was, back in the day, it was just so frustrating to people to spend hour after hour working on a 6-gear trying to make it work - oftentimes unsuccessfully - when they were able to buy other options that worked sooooo smoothly out of the box.

The "team drivers" were stuck running factory components, for the most part, but especially major components like tranny's. Everybody else had options, which was easy to jump on - and eventually led to the end of the 6-gear (I guess after much complaining by the factory drivers). ;)
It seems to me that the older the r/c component, the more over-engineered it was. They seem to get simpler and simpler. Heck, you can hardly even find a kit anymore. I think that part of the draw of early r/c was the complicated design of the components. It was designed for people that wanted to spend extra time figuring things out. Then all of a sudden you had people that were much more interested in racing than building. Thus came simpler parts. I still believe that any company that pays top drivers to steer their cars will win races no matter how crappy the parts. A 6 gear tranny is a lot more fun to build, but a 3 gear tranny can win the race just as easily. I guess cheaper too when you build thousands of them. :wink:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:It seems to me that the older the r/c component, the more over-engineered it was. They seem to get simpler and simpler. Heck, you can hardly even find a kit anymore. I think that part of the draw of early r/c was the complicated design of the components. It was designed for people that wanted to spend extra time figuring things out. Then all of a sudden you had people that were much more interested in racing than building. Thus came simpler parts. I still believe that any company that pays top drivers to steer their cars will win races no matter how crappy the parts. A 6 gear tranny is a lot more fun to build, but a 3 gear tranny can win the race just as easily. I guess cheaper too when you build thousands of them. :wink:
Well, maybe.
But it more seems that back in the day they tried to take more component design from 1:1 vehicles, spyder gear diffs were around before the old 6-gear --- and so to get to the point of simplification you have to start somewhere. Overengineered is a lot better than underengineering something, 'cause any idiot with a beer can in one hand and a roll of duct tape in the other can underengineer something (before any of you get pissed I'm talking about my brother), while you can always scale back on the concept until you find something that works.

I guess you've never built a 6-gear, because they weren't "fun" for anyone. :lol:

And my problem with your "top drivers will win races no matter how crappy the parts" theory is that you've must've forgotten The Frog -- and those Tamiya pros went back with their tails between their legs when Ultima's and RC10's hit the track. :lol: :lol: :lol:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

RER40 wrote:
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:It seems to me that the older the r/c component, the more over-engineered it was. They seem to get simpler and simpler. Heck, you can hardly even find a kit anymore. I think that part of the draw of early r/c was the complicated design of the components. It was designed for people that wanted to spend extra time figuring things out. Then all of a sudden you had people that were much more interested in racing than building. Thus came simpler parts. I still believe that any company that pays top drivers to steer their cars will win races no matter how crappy the parts. A 6 gear tranny is a lot more fun to build, but a 3 gear tranny can win the race just as easily. I guess cheaper too when you build thousands of them. :wink:
Well, maybe.
But it more seems that back in the day they tried to take more component design from 1:1 vehicles, spyder gear diffs were around before the old 6-gear --- and so to get to the point of simplification you have to start somewhere. Overengineered is a lot better than underengineering something, 'cause any idiot with a beer can in one hand and a roll of duct tape in the other can underengineer something (before any of you get pissed I'm talking about my brother), while you can always scale back on the concept until you find something that works.

I guess you've never built a 6-gear, because they weren't "fun" for anyone. :lol:

And my problem with your "top drivers will win races no matter how crappy the parts" theory is that you've must've forgotten The Frog -- and those Tamiya pros went back with their tails between their legs when Ultima's and RC10's hit the track. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I assumed the beer can and duct tape was me. :lol: I overstated a bit. After I said all this I should have added that any top paid team driver with semi-comparable equipment could win. A Frog could only beat an RC10 if I was driving the RC10. :lol: I would admit that the 6 gear is not for everyone, but I always loved going through them tooth by tooth until they spun silky smooth and free. 8)
:lol: :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:I assumed the beer can and duct tape was me. :lol: I overstated a bit. After I said all this I should have added that any top paid team driver with semi-comparable equipment could win. A Frog could only beat an RC10 if I was driving the RC10. :lol: I would admit that the 6 gear is not for everyone, but I always loved going through them tooth by tooth until they spun silky smooth and free. 8)
:lol: :lol:
World class drivers against the local-track-hacks?? Of course, any time, any day.

I'd reached my end of the line with 6-gears after sitting in the sun at the track one day for a few hours after blowing out a gearbox and filing and screwing with one for two hours :twisted: to make the main at the Regionals.... and have it run like c-r-a-p. :roll:

Bastos

Post by Bastos »

It's not about Jay Hasley but...vintage

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9744