Parts organization/storage?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aconsola
Approved Member

Parts organization/storage?

Post by aconsola »

What does everybody do to keep their stuff organized? I know some of you have a ton of parts, how do you keep it all straight so you can find what you are looking for? Who's got the most organized parts system?
I had been just putting stuff in kit boxes on the shelf, but have switched over to rubbermaid type containers to avoid damaging the boxes.
My wife makes fun of how many tackle boxes I have for all the loose hardware. you can never have enough storage.
I got ahold of her label maker one day and went nuts on the boxes :wink:
Pics to follow.

Halgar
Approved Member

Re: Parts organization/storage?

Post by Halgar »

My main toolbox has several organizer trays for nuts, bolts and the like. Other than that, I've got two fairly large totes with all my gear in it.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Most of my vintage parts are in a couple of small rubbermaid bins. The cars are in boxes for now, until I can organize.

Eventually, once my workbench is complete, I'll likely hang many of my cars up, and perhaps the parts too. More than likely I will put them in one of my vintage boxes up on a shelf.

MOmo

RedScampi  It’s my birthday!
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

This has been a problem for me too. I have several sectioned plastic bins of varying sizes, some small clear plastic rubbermaid totes and, unfortunately some parts are in shoe boxes. I put radios and chargers in an old kit box. Eventually it would be nice to have everything sorted by brand, part type, size or part number, but I know that won't happen unless I get some more room to work in.
Gary

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I keep stuff in bins. But, for stuff I access regularly, I use this:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=ZAG+ORGANIZERS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=014166R&SDesc=Stanley%26%23174%3B+Double+Sided+Tool+Organizer

There's another one I use too but I can't find a pic. It's a little smaller than the Stanley one.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

alright, so you guys failed to make me feel normal, non-OCD :lol:
I've gotten a little organized with my small parts and hardware,
I got a 40% off flyer from one of the places I buy bulk hardware from this winter and stocked up. The new hardware bin is all separated by size,
organized 002.jpg
Once I did that I was no longer happy with the big bin-o-screws that was only loosely organized by fh/bh/cap head and did the same with every last used screw collated from several locations.
organized 003.jpg
Once that was done it seemed a shame to have bearings all floating around in one drawer, trying to figure out which were standard and which metric, so those got the same treatment, with room leftover for some other parts. used bearings are loose in the slot, new in tubes/bags. I know the bushings and aluminum screws are all mixed up, but I have so few of those it is hard to justify another container, at least for now. (I did separate metric/sae and flanged bushings though) :lol:
organized 004.jpg
I keep all of my parts bins on a rack next to my workbench with lots of rubbermaid type tubs for paint, supplies and parts.
organized 001.jpg
My wife and kids fed into the ocd over the winter by getting me a gander mountain tackle bag, it holds 6 of the full size tackle boxes, plus one medium, so I can take what I need when I go to the track without having to clean out a single big box.
organized 007.jpg
Not all of the parts bins are as well organized or labeled, most look kind of like this:
Attachments
organized 005.jpg

Hay Burner
Approved Member

Post by Hay Burner »

I have a few small totes for parts too big to fit in the organizers that hold the small parts. A couple big totes for tires and such. I don't know why they call them organizers I still rifle through a couple before I find what I want :roll:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

The older I get the faster I was

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Then there are the NIP parts,
I have mainly old losi stuff, which is organized into 2 bins. The one shown is the smaller of the 2. it has all aftemarket parts. I have them in ziplocks separated by manufacturer, with 2 bags of random parts from smaller companies. Most of what is left in the bin is RPM, those are separated by part type since there are too many to just put them all in one bag.
organized11.jpg
I have a bigger tote with OEM losi parts, it has 4 smaller totes inside, most having sandwich size ziplocks lined up with different parts. one bin for drivetrain, one for suspension, one for hardware, and one for lexan and body accessories(wings, dirt shield, wheel covers wing wire)
organized012.jpg
Tires and bodies are separated into a few totes the size of the one above based on size/type.
Stickers and manuals are in 3-ring binders inside heavy duty page protectors
Even the radios are organized into 3 (recycled)boxes, one each for 27mhz, 75mhz and 2.4ghz

Hopefully this has given some of you some organizing ideas, or at least a good "see honey, I'm not That bad" post to show the wife :lol:
Attachments
organizedradios.jpg

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

anthony, if you took all of your parts/screws and dumped them all over you work benches and the floor, that would be about how well my hobby area is organized. :lol:

anytime you want to take a trip down to my house armed with containers and ziploc bags and organize my stuff, feel free. i wouldn't stop you...... and neither would my wife. :P

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I keep all of my parts in those bins also but I am still finishing my Hobby room when I am done I will be completly ocd with kitchen cabanets to boot :lol: so I can hide my OCD :lol: I cant stand knowing I own a part I cant find?
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

Hay Burner
Approved Member

Post by Hay Burner »

I wish I could be that organized, but I really think that if I did reach that level of organization it maybe considered one of the seven signs :twisted:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

The older I get the faster I was

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Hay Burner wrote:I wish I could be that organized, but I really think that if I did reach that level of organization it maybe considered one of the seven signs :twisted:
No kidding. I used to be fairly organized, even when things were astray, I could still tell you exactly where everything is. Now I subscribe more to "everything has it's place, and everything is all over the place." :mrgreen: I'm lucky to find my arse with both hands anymore. :lol: :lol:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!