PB buggies. Post your pics.

The place for all things PB.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Re: PB Mini Mustang. Post your pics.

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hey Jason or James,

Did that Yellow Mustang come from S.A or N.S.W at all?

Very familiar, maybe its just because of the Model Flight decal perhaps.

Lookin good, perhaps all the "stangs" can run together at the next meeting in Syd.....

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Daz the shell came in with a lot that James picked up whilst in Sydney from that old guy selling the junk yard lot at Ryde out of the back of his panel van.
Now i want that Ace he was selling but it was in terrible shape. Doh!
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

LOL - yeah - that and the fact that you cant get alloy back into shape in a small amount of time, if at all, that is that badly pitted and worn away..not to mention the price tag either.

Then again it was super rare - it was made by Hirobo wasnt it? ;)

That shell on James's car really is familiar though...hmmmmmmm

Cheers

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Yeah the price tag was a joke .... seriously! Hirobo, yep that guy knew his stuff alright.... :lol:

James had that shell and wasn't keen on it but it was the only shell he had left for this chassis build. I think it looks fine for a runner. Hopefuly he makes it down here tomorrow and we get to run these gems. Im running a co27 now and it moves along much nicer. Im thinking of stepping it up to a 19t with 2.2inch rims and modern tyres (that grip).
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Here's that ACE.......

Why PB put the motor in the rear I'll never understand. From what Ive read it sounds like they tried pushing it as a 2WD in the end. I even read that Rob Reade here in Australia spun the trans around and made it mid motor again.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Yeah - thats the one alright - I must admit to dropping it like a hot turd on a summers day when he mentioned how much he wanted for it. I stopped inspecting it as a potential buy right then and there. :oops:

My Mustang was flying at the last vintage meeting - until I cooked the motor. I think Thomas was happy about that though - cause I had to run the MIP Legend then.

The mustang always worked better with a bit more "öomph" under it - as it was a bit of a slug to drive (read "slow to respond to inputs"). Because it was so stable, it seemed to handle the extra power better. Looking forward to running mine again - that scalpel shell has really grown on me.

Have fun tomorrow, it will be a good day I am sure.

Cheers

Darryn

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

scalpel... you mean the one from Van's invent? Outlaw for the ultima etc. wasn't it?

I don't really like the utterly small side windows on the cockpit. Maybe a bit of black paint over the style in the middle, and a thin black stripe around the window would make it look bigger (better)

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Nope - this is the "Scalpel" I have on mine Ed:

Cheers

Darryn

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

similar (take in consideration was just going by memory :mrgreen: )

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Lets be honest here - neither "Scalpel" was going to win any beauty contests!! :lol: :lol:

Increadibly hard to get a paint sheme that looks half decent, you have to try and mask that big a$$ on them!! :lol: :mrgreen:

"Baby got Back" springs to mind with these shells.

Cheers

Darryn

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Incredible_Serious wrote:Well, all.... yup, the arms were bendy.... if you didn't FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS and boil them.... back in the day, I never broke an arm. Course, I never drove like the Dazzler....

Course, with a chassis like that, you'd have problems with dirt.... if you didn't FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS and seal up the holes.... which I did, and which helped heaps. I had basic electrical tape on the motor and battery holes, and I had no dirt issues......

Then again, I only ever rany my Mini Mustang with a Technigold..... best I could afford!

Oh yeah.... quick release batteries..... worked great, if you didn't rely on the system to actually carry charge! I used them happily for years as a battery mount, just using the super-duper (at the time) Tamiya connectors to do the volt business.

But I shouldn't spend too long defending such a nice car against such bogans/neanderthals.... sure they would rather have their Nikkos... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Open the floor now to the heavy bootage....

Alex
Alex Ive read through this thread a handful of times and like the opinions that people throw up with regards to the PB. I feel most issues are easy to address and while any old numpty could see this car fail in any number of ways I think close attention to detail will pay off for these cars.
Today I taped up the motor hole with electrical tape after preping (cleaning) the plastic of any dirt or oil, sealed off the battery opening with some scrap lexan and even made little foam dust covers for each point at which the suspension arm slots into the spine. My PB runs a Schumacher slipper but you could adapt others easily enough and after all the bearings were cleaned and re-oiled Im confident the car is smooth enough and well protected from debris getting into the drive line.
So the suspension arms flex, great atleast they dont crack like Tamiya's do. There are a couple of different shock towers floating around by the likes of JG and TMS which will beaf up the dampening should you require it. Im going to keep using the original shocks. After a solid rebuild there are no signs of obvious leakage and Im very happy with their operation.
I did try running the original dog bones in the rear of my PB but there is no real way of keeping the pins in the plastic bone ( i cleaned and glued them but they work their way loose with use) so now im running uni's on all four corners. I like the original 2.0 inch rims and tyres as they keep to the vintage feel but i may look at some 2.2's eventualy.
Im running a co27 in mine and it moves along nicely when powered by my QC3 and 4200 lipo saddles. If I feel the car can deal with more I'll limmit the motor to around 19t I think.
These cars are a lot of fun when you see them going around. Sure Procat's and Lazer's will eat these cars alive but you need to keep in mind the design is years prior.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Mr. ED wrote:similar (take in consideration was just going by memory :mrgreen: )
Eric those bodies are kicking man! I liked the warrior I think it was called.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Agree wholeheartedly,

The Mustang, like any car, will work and work well with attention to detail. It is just that some require a little more attention and on a more regualr basis! :lol:

To be honest, after driving my Mustang at the last vintage meeting, I really did enjoy its driveability. Very smooth with no real major vices. They just dont feel as nimble or as fast as other cars of the era. Then again, usually when a car feels slow on a race track, it means it is pretty quick (with a good driver at the wheel). It's a shame the AMB system wasnt on during practice, I think it may have been very competitive on race day. The motor cooked half way through the first heat. :( :?

The things we used to do to try and get the pins to stay in the dogbones !! LOL - man we tried it all: superglue, melting the plastic around the pin, araldite.....nothing ever kept them in forever...until we started using oversized roll pins instead of plain pins anyway.... :wink:

I think youre right Jason - it may well be the Warrior - dont remember Dhams having a body naemd the Scalpel :oops:

Cheers

Darryn

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

mm. the pic links don't seem to work so well.
the Warrior is a different model, this one is the Ultra

just so the pics show up for everyone:
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (13.9 KiB) Viewed 891 times
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (13.9 KiB) Viewed 891 times
untitled2.JPG
untitled2.JPG (12.14 KiB) Viewed 891 times
untitled2.JPG
untitled2.JPG (12.14 KiB) Viewed 891 times
Darryl, I think the first thing you need to win a concourse is to stand-out of the crowd and these bodies certainly would help.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

LOL - I luvs ya Ed!!

They certainly do "stand out"........... :lol: :shock:

Still cant get that "baby got back" tune out of my head when I see these type of shells though!

They do look good when painted well. At the end of the day - it is all personal taste though. :D

Cheers

Darryn