New to me RC10T (Anodized aluminum today)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

m_vice
Approved Member

Re: New to me RC10T (Starting the rebuild)

Post by m_vice »

Very cool spacers, put me down for a set (4). There is decently more pride when you make the parts yourself. I am really in to making my own part but I like making shock towers and chassis and it take more time because I cut them by hand.
:D
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11802&start=0

Love the spacers.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. I think I am going to turn three more for myself, I just can't leave the one, LOL. I just finshed the spacers for the shock towers. I think it really cleaned up the look as well. I threaded the spacer and used it in place of that god alwful nut. The pic shows the difference. The main purpose of doing this was the shock body and spring would rub against the shock tower binding up the shock. I needed something to get the shock off the tower and I didn't want to use washers. The shock caps were really beat up so I polished them and they will be getting anodized black again, so disregard the Bling Bling shock caps.

I don't know about marketing the tranny spacers but I can make a few sets for anyone who would like some, they are pretty simple.

M_Vice, PM sent

Jake

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

bigjeepzz wrote:Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. I think I am going to turn three more for myself, I just can't leave the one, LOL. I just finshed the spacers for the shock towers. I think it really cleaned up the look as well. I threaded the spacer and used it in place of that god alwful nut. The pic shows the difference. The main purpose of doing this was the shock body and spring would rub against the shock tower binding up the shock. I needed something to get the shock off the tower and I didn't want to use washers. The shock caps were really beat up so I polished them and they will be getting anodized black again, so disregard the Bling Bling shock caps.

I don't know about marketing the tranny spacers but I can make a few sets for anyone who would like some, they are pretty simple.

M_Vice, PM sent

Jake

BigJ, Verry nice spacers!!!! I always hated tryin to find spacers (nuts) every time to shim shocks out.If ya need some trans spacers I got some. VERRY NICE ANYWAY JohnnySr.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Well all the parts are in and the truck is going back together. The turnbuckles on this truck are total garbage and way too long. I need to wait a bit to buy the titanium RC10GT turnbuckles (wife asking too many questions right now) so no pics as of yet. Hopefully I can snap some pics of the chassis soon.

RC10 Johnny, thanks for the offer on the spacers but I am going to make my own. It is fun plus gives me some more practice on the lathe. Here is what I have come up with. They look pretty sweet but to bad they will be hidden unless you really look.

Jake

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Those spacers are SWEET!!!!! I guess you make a mean antenna mount to. good luck on your project. If ya need a couple of turnbuckles until ya can get some let me know what length ya need.be happy to share JohnnySr.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

The trcuk is pretty much assembled except for some minor things. I need to get a shock rebuild kit since all the shocks are leaking. I still need to order the turnbuckles and a gear cover as well. Other than that I think I am ready to go. I need to mount the electronics in the truck and give it a test run. I have been trying to talk my wife into letting me but a brushless system and a new radio but that will be a while. Once I get some liqued mask in I will start painting the body.

I took RC10johnny's idea and made a antenna mount today. I have everything I need to anodize the bare aluminum pieces on the truck, I just need to set everything up. I may machine some new bellcraks out of aluminum to fix my problem of running buggy cranks. I really want to keep the ball bearings up front and making a longer set of arms to take the bearings shouldn't be too difficult. Hopefully I will have some new pics in a couple days.

Jake

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Looking good Jake, I would keep the buggy cranks but move them to the front holes.
Attachments
rc10T steering .jpg
rc10T steering .jpg (54.03 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
rc10T steering .jpg
rc10T steering .jpg (54.03 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Well I moved the bellcranks up just as mentioned and I have run into a slight problem. The ball cups to adjust camber are rubbing against the ball cups used for the tierods when I try to turn the wheels. I ended up shortening the raods up front and using a die to cut some threads until I can buy a set of titanium rods. Why would the ball cups be rubbing each other. With the suspesion at full stuff, there is no steering up front.

Jake

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

bigjeepzz wrote:Well I moved the bellcranks up just as mentioned and I have run into a slight problem. The ball cups to adjust camber are rubbing against the ball cups used for the tierods when I try to turn the wheels. I ended up shortening the raods up front and using a die to cut some threads until I can buy a set of titanium rods. Why would the ball cups be rubbing each other. With the suspesion at full stuff, there is no steering up front.

Jake
Hey JAKE, Verry clean really!!!! I come up with some stuff every once and a while.. I also read where someone took a stepdown bit and reamed the belcranks to fit bearings (it works) did both sets of mine. AGAIN your TRUCK looks GREAT 8) 8) 8) JohnnySr.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I set the anodizing station today and got good results, ok results, and terrible results in a single process. I mixed 2 parts battery electrolyte with 1 part distilled water. Got a small rubber bucket and formed a paddle out of aluminum wire and foil for the bottom of the bucket.

I then formed a hanger for all my parts and placed the parts on the hanger. (My youngest daughter thought I was making her a crown so she had to try it on)

Placed the hanger in the acid solution and turned the battery charger on. Waited 15 mins, then rinsed with distilled water and transfered to warm die. Waited 15 mins and transferred to boiling water. My tranny spacers came out perfect, but the shock spacers, antenna mount and shock caps looked terrible.

I removed the tranny spacers from the hanger and tryed again using the steps above. The shock spacers took way to much color and look almost black and the antnna mount took color but has spot all over it. The shock caps hadly took any color at all, I have no idea why. I need to try those again by them selves.

Overall it was my first attempt at this and I am happy. I just need to figure out why the shock caps are not taking color. Any suggestions? The shock caps look ok in the pic but trust me they are terrible. Enojy the pics.

Seabass
Business Member

Re: New to me RC10T (Anodized aluminum today)

Post by Seabass »

I also got the new shell painted as well. I remember paint job from when I was racing and always liked it. I had to paint one for myself. I think it turned out pretty good. I just need to find some stickers for it now.

Jake

wts873
Approved Member

Post by wts873 »

Different alloys will take the die better or worse. Also the shock caps were anodized before so that might make a difference.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Hey Jake, the blue spacers look really nice; I always wanted to try anodizing but never got to it. I think you will get it right eventually, “practice make perfect”. The Lett Cow look sis always a classic in the 10Ts., looks excellent.

The truck is looking good and I think I am going to build another one. I got a car not so long ago for my son and now planning a truck for my girl.

You also make some nice crowns, my daughter would love one.

Take care.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Thanks M_Vice,

I polished the shock caps again and placed hem back in the acid for a third time. I left them in the acid solution for 25 mins this time and they finally took the color. I unfortunately left them in the die for too long and they are darker than what I wanted. They still look good though so I am leaving them. I will try to get some pics of the truck with the shell off today. Now I need to find an RC10 buggy with a Stealth tranny. I want to build a car now.

Jake

mark
Approved Member

Post by mark »

Great work on the rebuild, looks like new again.