New to me RC10T (Anodized aluminum today)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Seabass
Business Member

New to me RC10T (Anodized aluminum today)

Post by Seabass »

Hey guys, I just bought an RC10T. The truck is in ok condition and is definately going to need some work done to it. The front arms are from something other than an RC10T and are crazy wide. The toe in and out cannot be adjusted because the rods are not long enough for the arms. The person also cut the bulkhead to retrofit the arms so it will need to be replaced as well. Other than that the truck is pretty much good to go. All the electronics work and the truck is quite fast.

I raced LXTs against these truck back in the day, but never owned an RC10T. I bought the truck for two reasons, to build a nice truck and to have something for my daughter to race at the local track with.

Here is a pic of the truck as it came. Thanks for looking.

Jake

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: New to me RC10T

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Front arms are T3, and............welcome

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Thanks for identifying the front arms. They definately do not work on this truck, LOL. I am going to tear it down and give it a good cleaning and replace the parts that need to go.

Jake

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

Looks like you've got buggy steering bell cranks too? Or are the front arms causing the illusion of the bellcranks being too far back?

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

Bugle wrote:Looks like you've got buggy steering bell cranks too? Or are the front arms causing the illusion of the bellcranks being too far back?
they look like houge buggy bellcranks.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I am not sure about the bellcranks. The front arms are extremely to long. They are roughly 1/2 wider than the rear arms on each side of the truck. I have been looking on eBay for a new front bulkhead and RC10T front arms. Once I get the right parts on the truck I should be good to go. Thanks for the help.

Jake

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

It has been a while but I started working on the truck. As said earleir I basically want a nice truck and I am not too worried about keeping everything perfect. I pulled everything apart from the tub and pulled out my orbital sander. I really went to twon on the bottom of the chassis and the nose plate to clean up the gouges that were in the bottom. I didn't have any satin black paint so flat black was used. It really did wonders for the chassis and it looks pretty good. I am bidding on a front bulk head and arms on eBay right now so I should have the right parts coming in this week. Here are the before and after pics of the tub and nose.

On a side note, someone mentioned that the bellcranks looked to be buggy cranks. They have Houge printed on the cranks. Will this create a problem for me or will everything be good to go? If I need to buy different cranks, please let me know.

Jake

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

bigjeepzz wrote:It has been a while but I started working on the truck. As said earleir I basically want a nice truck and I am not too worried about keeping everything perfect. I pulled everything apart from the tub and pulled out my orbital sander. I really went to twon on the bottom of the chassis and the nose plate to clean up the gouges that were in the bottom. I didn't have any satin black paint so flat black was used. It really did wonders for the chassis and it looks pretty good. I am bidding on a front bulk head and arms on eBay right now so I should have the right parts coming in this week. Here are the before and after pics of the tub and nose.

On a side note, someone mentioned that the bellcranks looked to be buggy cranks. They have Houge printed on the cranks. Will this create a problem for me or will everything be good to go? If I need to buy different cranks, please let me know.

Jake
Hey,glad to see more older 10's, RPM makes a good set of arms that do not collect dirt as much,tower still has lots of the parts in stock. you could get the (wider arms) as well as stock for your truck. have a good one Jake! If I can help let me know JohnnySr.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

bigjeepzz wrote: On a side note, someone mentioned that the bellcranks looked to be buggy cranks. They have Houge printed on the cranks. Will this create a problem for me or will everything be good to go? If I need to buy different cranks, please let me know.
Hey Jake, it's Steve from DRM :)

Those bellcranks are buggy bellcranks, but Associated switched to the shorter bellcranks for the RC10T2. Just countersink the two holes that sit in front of the stock ones and use some flathead screws to mount them there. Then use some shorter screws in the stock location to mount the front plate. The shorter bellcranks give better steering response; the T3 and T4 also use shorter bellcranks as well.

The front bulkhead and T2 front and rear arms are still available from Associated, or any hobby shop or website. The arms will fit the 10T without modification, all the geometry is the same. RPM arms are still available too. The RPM arms are a little more flexible, barely, and might be a bit heavier, but I'd be willing to bet they are more resilient than the Associated arms (of course I have never broken either type, but stronger is stronger).
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2914&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2913&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2975&P=M

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEU88&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEU83&P=7
The RPM parts come in blue as well, as do their front bumpers, rod-ends, and body mounts.

Seabass
Business Member

Re: New to me RC10T (Starting the rebuild)

Post by Seabass »

Hey man how are you? Thanks for the help, I just placed an order for several parts, screws, etc. I ordered the OEM bellcranks but I would really like to keep the ball bearing cranks in the truck. If they do not work out, I will have the stuff needed to convert it back. I ordered a body from Mrlexan as well. I should be set once everything gets here. As I complete other things I will be sure to post pics.

Jake

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I got some of my parts in and getting ready for the reassembly. Question for everyone, where can I find some titanium turnbuckles for this truck. There are some sets on eBay for the xxxt and T4 but nothing for this truck. Is the lenght of the arms comparable to the 10T on these trucks> Any help is appreciated.

Jake

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

bigjeepzz wrote:I got some of my parts in and getting ready for the reassembly. Question for everyone, where can I find some titanium turnbuckles for this truck. There are some sets on eBay for the xxxt and T4 but nothing for this truck. Is the lenght of the arms comparable to the 10T on these trucks> Any help is appreciated.

Jake
Associated # 1280 Ti turnbuckle kit tor the GT/T2/T3 will fit perfect!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=asc1280

If you don't like the blue and want the vintage silver look. You can use a wire wheel on a Dremel and get it all off!

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Sweet, thanks for the help. I am still trying to get the hang of searching for parts for the truck. I appreciate the link.

Jake

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Well, i am still waiting on the some of the parts I ordered so I don't have much going on right now. Because the truck plastics had been dyed black I am going to re-dye the black parts along with the new parts I am getting. In the mean time though, I have noticed some prblems with how the truck was put together and it looks like some stuff is missing or rigged with the wrong hardware.

When I pulled the tranny apart I noticed one of the bushings was missing between the tranny case and the motor plate. No problem here, I firde up the lathe and turned a nice peice out of aluminum. I am thinking about turning three more so everything matches. I know I probably could have saved myself about 15 mins of work, but there is so much more pride in the truck when I make some of the parts myself, plus I think it is fun. I am going to be turning some spacers for the shock tower here in a bit because the shocks are rubbing against the tower when they are fastened down. Sorry for the blurry pic of the machine.

Jake

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Dude, I bet you could find a market for those, that is cool and unique!
Gary