thought i'd share........

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Re: thought i'd share........

Post by slotcarrod »

Interesting post scr8p!

While Cliff was fondling the car, I bet he was thinking "How the heck did this guy know what we had in the works, who leaked it?" My point is, you would never start a design project for a major race (The Worlds) with only 4 months to spare!

I think this Rob Cutman guy needs to take his head out of his @$$ and stop blowing his own horn!

tizeye
Approved Member

Post by tizeye »

purpletimbo wrote:Many a surprise out of Pete's box

So they say :mrgreen:
Ya what?..which box we talkin about?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

slotcarrod wrote:Interesting post scr8p!

While Cliff was fondling the car, I bet he was thinking "How the heck did this guy know what we had in the works, who leaked it?" My point is, you would never start a design project for a major race (The Worlds) with only 4 months to spare!

I think this Rob Cutman guy needs to take his head out of his @$$ and stop blowing his own horn!
how is he blowing his own horn? he pointed out that it wasn't even his design to take credit for, and gave credit where credit was due. all he was doing was pointing out the irony in it. and if you care to re-read the post, the idea of the more kickup, narrow bulkhead, long arm setup on an rc10 was started a couple years prior to the 89 worlds. and it wasn't by cliff lett.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

scr8p wrote:
slotcarrod wrote:Interesting post scr8p!

how is he blowing his own horn? he pointed out that it wasn't even his design to take credit for, and gave credit where credit was due. all he was doing was pointing out the irony in it. and if you care to re-read the post, the idea of the more kickup, narrow bulkhead, long arm setup on an rc10 was started a couple years prior to the 89 worlds. and it wasn't by cliff lett.
What do you think by the words irony and ironic?

Irony : A pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning

"Cliff spent a good bit of time fondling my Terminator at the Dirt Oval nats in Burlington, NC in May of that year. I remember thinking how ironic it was that the car he designed for the worlds 4 months later had a narrowed front end with more kickup and longer arms. Now I am not claiming Cliff copied anything, lol, just pointing out the Irony." = Blowing his own horn

I am full aware Cliff never came up with the original "idea"!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

slotcarrod wrote:What do you think by the words irony and ironic?

Irony : A pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning
what motel did you steal that dictionary from? :lol: :lol:

i took his "ironic" to mean this definition of the word:

marked by coincidence or by a curious or striking juxtaposition of events

i guess you never heard "ironic" from alanis, huh?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

scr8p wrote:
slotcarrod wrote:What do you think by the words irony and ironic?

what motel did you steal that dictionary from? :lol: :lol:

juxtaposition
Damn, no wonder the bible I found in the Motel 6 is written in alphabetical order :|

and juxtaposed or any variation of that word, is one of my favorites!

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

If he wasn't blowing his own horn, he would have never mentioned it, or at least would have mentioned an earlier design as inspiration. I havent read the whole thread on DODC, but from what was posted here, it sounds like he is trying to take credit (in a round about way) for inspiring Cliff in his WC builds.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Jay Dub wrote:If he wasn't blowing his own horn, he would have never mentioned it, or at least would have mentioned an earlier design as inspiration. I havent read the whole thread on DODC, but from what was posted here, it sounds like he is trying to take credit (in a round about way) for inspiring Cliff in his WC builds.
for what it's worth, the thread on dodc was started by a guy complaining about how the terminator cars built by several manufacturers look the same. guys just keep copying other peoples designs. another guy brought up the stealth cars, with their tall kickup, narrow bulkheads, and wide arms. more or less, just like the terminators. to me, all rob did was tell a story, and the fact that he thought it was ironic that after cliff saw his terminator, the stealth cars had a similar design. and that similar design, rob give full credit to the designer......... which was not him.

i guess i just don't read so much into shit like others do. a simple story, blown out of proportion. :roll:

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I think some people miss the matthew john glory days and are just jonesin' for some drama. :lol:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

civilguy wrote:I think some people miss the matthew john glory days and are just jonesin' for some drama. :lol:
apparently. :lol:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

scr8p wrote:
Jay Dub wrote:If he wasn't blowing his own horn, he would have never mentioned it, or at least would have mentioned an earlier design as inspiration. I havent read the whole thread on DODC, but from what was posted here, it sounds like he is trying to take credit (in a round about way) for inspiring Cliff in his WC builds.
for what it's worth, the thread on dodc was started by a guy complaining about how the terminator cars built by several manufacturers look the same. guys just keep copying other peoples designs. another guy brought up the stealth cars, with their tall kickup, narrow bulkheads, and wide arms. more or less, just like the terminators. to me, all rob did was tell a story, and the fact that he thought it was ironic that after cliff saw his terminator, the stealth cars had a similar design. and that similar design, rob give full credit to the designer......... which was not him.

i guess i just don't read so much into shit like others do. a simple story, blown out of proportion. :roll:
You would have to know Rob to understand that he was relaying a story, and Rob much like his buddy Jim Deiter have way too many accomplishments under his belt to need to "talk up" himself, Rob is so humble about his designs, he came to me during a race and complemented me on my design and was asking me questions about it. And as the person in charge of Customworks, a too many multi-time National Champ and employed directly by Tony Stewart he really doen't need to say much else.

Reggie

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

My take is Rob wasn’t blowing his horn…. Seemed to me he gave all credit to Joe Schmitz, some to Chuck Saladin, and George Vardzik, with plenty to Cliff Lett as well.

I have a lot of respect for Mr. Lett, but as a guy who has been involved in full scale suspension design for a long time, I would suggest the concepts mentioned go back a lot farther than this story in any event. Seems Cliff was just taking advantage of every chance to see how other people had approached things, that’s what good designers do.

I enjoyed the story (several mini stories?), thanks for sharing scr8p.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, i mean, realistically, the double wishbone/a-arm suspension is pretty standard. if some kickup is good, some might be better. maybe less is better. there are pretty much 1 million permutations of this suspension design, and the running theory at the time, which carries through to present day, is to provide adequate free travel to absorb the terrain.

I was thinking of making a longer arm car, especially looking at those stubby original rc10 arms when I first got into this hobby, based on all the full scale stuff I was interested in.....

look how many buggies there are today, step back 5 ft, and see which ones you can tell apart.....you go with what works.

I won't say the guys in this thread weren't moving the industry forward, I'm glad they did, just that there is no real 'novel' ideas out if this.

that cool car with the motor standing up to utilize the rotational torque is something I would consider groundbreaking, however. that's a customworks, right?

cool stuff nonetheless, interesting stories to hear from back in the day.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Dynotech

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Hmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,, where have I heard that name ,AhhhhAAA yes HOT AIR....now I member.... :twisted: