FIBERGLASS BATTERY HOLD DOWNS...OEM...Back me up.

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

liquorboxracing wrote: Man you are not kidding there! I have never seen a unpainted untrimmed clear one anywhere!
I did. I saw one auction, I think it had one unpainted, untrimmed and one unpainted but trimmed. I think it ended at over $150.

Another good idea, which is up in another thread, how about a Mirage or a Turbo Mirage for the RC10? But, the JRX2 would definately be the big seller. That would be able to fund a lot of other projects.

Does this count as one of the elusive clear gear covers? Let the bidding start at $1million. :lol: If the bids reach $1.5million, I will throw in the uncut headlight and knockoff tree. :lol: :lol: :lol:

liquorboxracing
Approved Member

Post by liquorboxracing »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
liquorboxracing wrote: Man you are not kidding there! I have never seen a unpainted untrimmed clear one anywhere!
I did. I saw one auction, I think it had one unpainted, untrimmed and one unpainted but trimmed. I think it ended at over $150.

Another good idea, which is up in another thread, how about a Mirage or a Turbo Mirage for the RC10? But, the JRX2 would definately be the big seller. That would be able to fund a lot of other projects.

Does this count as one of the elusive clear gear covers? Let the bidding start at $1million. :lol: If the bids reach $1.5million, I will throw in the uncut headlight and knockoff tree. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I could pull a mold from that. I would have to do something to flush plug the hole in it, then probably work the mold before pulling any off of it, but it could be done. At 1 mill though the it will make the parts I pull off of it pretty expensive for the everyone else to buy! :lol:

qctires
Approved Member

Re: Prototype...

Post by qctires »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
qctires wrote:Well., I can't blame you guys if you don't believe what I am saying. I justso happend that in 1985, my parents bought two kits for me and my brother .which is the reason why I am lookin for those parts because I have had it once in my lifetime . I am trying to find parts for my RC10, not searching for a debate...I feel proud I had it...sorry for you, you did'nt. As simple as that. You guys can call me anything and don't ask me for part numbers. Here is the deal...if I can proove to you guys that what I am saying is true...
...you know what? Forget it. Go ask AE...Call them Monday. They know what I'm talking about. AND I KNOW WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT! I won't be that stupid to look for something that does not exist. This is one thing I hate about forums. Someone will come in and kill the fun just for a debate...WELL< IF YOU ARE REALLY INTO THIS RC10 THING>>>HOW COME YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT?? :!: :?:
Calm down already, try not to take things so personally. I'm the one who brought up the prototype idea, I didn't do it as an attack on you, I just brought the idea up because it seems like the most likely story to me. I've been in RC since 86 and I've been collecting and watching RC10 stuff pretty heavily for the past 6 years. I would love to have you prove me wrong, it would just add one more cool twist to the RC10 story.

SkidRowe, it is very possible that if the fiberglass battery hold downs and diamond wing mounts did exist, they could have had the part numbers that the pieces we all now have. Since they have the same function and look similar, AE could have just substituted the pieces as specs changed during production.

liquorboxracing, I believe any-pre production machine, whether it's a mock up for a photo shoot, or an R&D car, or a racer counts as a prototype.

Now, back to the debate. I think this is going to be a fun topic. But keep it civilized, let's not forget we're only talking about toy cars among friends. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Quite a challenge. I'll cpme up with somethig just to justify my claim. I am pretty sure some of those first batches still exixt back home. for sure with the owner of theRC shop whre my Mom got it from. Late'.
No harm done. 8)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

liquorbox, you could make that million back in the first week of sales. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm about 95% sure that this clear gear cover is actually a Parma part. Still cool though.

qctires, I can't wait to see what you find. I'd love to see some of those parts. Which really makes me wonder where the actual prototype cars are right now. I'm sure Jay and Cliff and Masami still have their old cars, but I wonder about the rest, the ones that weren't racer's personal cars.

I know it's not exactly what we're looking for here, but I bet it would be very, very easy to fabricate some of those fiberglass battery hold downs. Just get some fiberglass stock and trace the outline of a regular plastic part, grab the Dremel and the drill and there you have it.

Which brings me to another point. Hate to bring up ethics, we have to talk about that with repro parts. Since the parts that may be reproduced are very rare (that's the reason they'd be remade) when the repros come out, the prices of the originals will likely drop. They will definatley drop if the repros are exact duplicates. liquorbox, have you thought about maybe putting a date stamp in the mold, or anything like that? Just a thought. I don't know how hardcore RC collectors can be (personally I'm not a super hardcore fanatic, just kind of one) but in the vintage BMX world, and others as well, this is a big issue. People have reproduced parts and sold them saying they were originals, got found out and totally lost all repsect and reputation in the community. Just something to consider. And, a whole new can of worms I just opened.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i'm not sure if it would be long enough, but you could probably use the rc10L front end cross brace to make those battery hold downs. i think the width is right, you'd just have to cut it in half, and round the edges. or, just buy a sheet of fiberglass and make them yourself.

liquorboxracing
Approved Member

MelvinsArmy wrote:liquorbox, you could make that million back in the first week of sales. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm about 95% sure that this clear gear cover is actually a Parma part. Still cool though.

qctires, I can't wait to see what you find. I'd love to see some of those parts. Which really makes me wonder where the actual prototype cars are right now. I'm sure Jay and Cliff and Masami still have their old cars, but I wonder about the rest, the ones that weren't racer's personal cars.

I know it's not exactly what we're looking for here, but I bet it would be very, very easy to fabricate some of those fiberglass battery hold downs. Just get some fiberglass stock and trace the outline of a regular plastic part, grab the Dremel and the drill and there you have it.

Which brings me to another point. Hate to bring up ethics, we have to talk about that with repro parts. Since the parts that may be reproduced are very rare (that's the reason they'd be remade) when the repros come out, the prices of the originals will likely drop. They will definatley drop if the repros are exact duplicates. liquorbox, have you thought about maybe putting a date stamp in the mold, or anything like that? Just a thought. I don't know how hardcore RC collectors can be (personally I'm not a super hardcore fanatic, just kind of one) but in the vintage BMX world, and others as well, this is a big issue. People have reproduced parts and sold them saying they were originals, got found out and totally lost all repsect and reputation in the community. Just something to consider. And, a whole new can of worms I just opened.
I always state that my parts are reproductions. I would never sell something I made an exact copy of as an authentic part. I understand what you mean by that though. I value my reputation to much to do that, and I try very hard to keep a good name for myself. I honestly think that the price of original parts would not be effected by the introduction of original parts. Originals are still difficult to find, and if the parts are clamed as new then the original packaging should be present as well. It is just becoming increasingly more and more difficult to find the smaller items that complete these older cars. When I come up with a solution to my own needs like reproducing a part, it more often than not becomes apparent that others are searching for the same thing. If I can offer them an affordable reproduction then, I feel as a hobbyist, I have provided a viable service. I feel that reproductions are a valuable asset to the hobby. Some originals are flat impossible to find. Take the Mirage body that is stirring up so much attention in the other post, can the average collector really afford to pay 100.00 plus for a lexan body? I feel reproductions offer an alternative, and a solution. No one is forcing anyone to buy a non-authentic part, but if a reproduction is available it does make a nice alternative, even if you are buying it as a stand by until you find or can afford an original. :D

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

That's cool man. I just thought I'd bring it up to see if you had thought about it. 8)

Now make me a JRX2 body!! And then I'll go buy a JRX2. :lol:

liquorboxracing
Approved Member

I'm looking bros. I'm looking. :D

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

I would also be so happy with an ultra-rare to find JRX2 body, please tell me, my price is yours... :D

qctires
Approved Member

bars

Post by qctires »

Wow. :?

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Here is another one, yours will now only value at half a million bucks :D , I really think it was made by Hot Trick since both of them are clear and fitted with the red plastic part, which is typical of Hot Trick (I am sure of this last one)

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Asso_man! wrote:Here is another one, yours will now only value at half a million bucks :D , I really think it was made by Hot Trick since both of them are clear and fitted with the red plastic part, which is typical of Hot Trick (I am sure of this last one

Nope, Parma. Hot Trick did not do any Lexan pieces.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

mea culpa, but the red transmission cover plug is definitely a Hot Trck one, ain't it?

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Nope, purely Parma. Those little caps were bulk container lids for little plastic vials. We used to get diff balls in plastic bottles that had identical caps. Many guys only used the Parma diff cover and the Parma "monster" wing, with big side pods on the side. As much as I dislike(d) Parma products, we all used them.

Hot Trick was predominantly red fiberglass and red anodized aluminum items. In fact, I'm having trouble remembering an upgrade they made that didn't include either or both. ;)

doug

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

now, maybe you'll believe me, these are mine and NIP:

PS: take a look at my collection in the Reader's ride section (let's see what you've got) I am not a rookie in collecting RC10's :wink: