Approved Member

Re: Losi XX racer, help with steering

Post by jamin »

First place next time out then :D

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

sgirouard wrote:Now I have to redo the rear suspension because I put in a brushless motor which is substantially heavier than the brushed motor.
Why do you have to redo the rear suspension? what are you going to redo it with?
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Stiffer springs and/or compression on the springs and bump up to 35wt oil.

I'm also going to play with the shock positions.

First is definitely the plan. I'm jumping from a losi 15 turn garbage RTR motor to a 3500KV brushless motor. :shock:

More speed, more handling. MORE MORE MORE!!!!

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I just put a 4000kv brushless in my XX. I still haven't gotten it all wired up yet though. I'm replacing a Trinity P2K2 stock brushed motor with it!
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

What brand Fredswain?

I'm actually thinking of changing things around. I have a Reedy 3300KV system in my short course and a tacon 3500KV in my XX now. The Tacon is considerably heavier than the Reedy, so the Reedy motor is probably going to end up in the XX and the Tacon in the short course.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I decided to try out the HobbyKing 8.5T. I figured I don't have a whole lot to lose since it is a sensored system and the motor only costs $30.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I got the brushless wired up tonight and all I've got to say is MOTHER OF GOD!!! Where has this power been all my life! I have never pulled the front wheels off the ground at near 30 mph before. My gearing is off too. It's noticably faster than my 19 turn brushed motor that was gps clocked at 32 mph. This car is geared so conservatively that I think the motor was the same temperature when it came out of the box. I'm going to go down 11 teeth on the spur gear and then try again but it's already over the other motor on a nimh battery. My lipo doesn't fit this chassis so I'll have to get a different one.

Talk about needing help with steering. I can get huge understeer if i'm on the throttle too hard.

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

HAHAHA yeah an 8.5 turn on a fairly light buggy. You should see a 5700KV in a pan car :shock: that was fun (in a straight line).

People say brushless are comparable to brushed and they're right in a small way, but when you look at the overall power delivered, there's no comparison (such as a 17.5 brushless vs a 27 turn brushed).

I've slapped a 3930KV in my JRX2 and TRIED to race it. I'd try to pop the acceleration on a big jump and would end up pulling a wheely ON THE RAMP. I actually had to get off throttle about 4 feet before the jumps and just let the buggy coast LOL.

The fastest motor I'll use is a 10.5 or 3500KV. Any more motor is just too much power for me.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

:shock: :lol: That funny stuff. I have a 6900kv combo I have yet to try on something, hmmmm

if anything its gotta make you smile
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Yeah, I don't understand how so many people run such fast systems while racing. Granted, I run on a very small track so anything more than 10.5 is useless (even a detriment).

I do have a nice 13x2 brushed motor that can run pretty crazy speeds too, but that's different. :D

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Wow thats funny you all say the brushless is faster? I had a the same PK Fred took out and I went to a novak 17.5 in my Jrx Pro se. and I think its a lot slower, when I went to the Vonats I changed it out and was very disapointed in the Brushless. it might be my Battery, I also with the brushed I ran a 3800 nimd, and a 4200 lipo with the brushless. but the Novak wasnt as punchy, now it had a lot more topend. which was useless on that Very Small Short track we were racing on. it didnt get to speed until it was time to slowdown and turn. the PK2 was right their with the punch the brushless seem to have a lot of lag. but the motor was used I might try new motor before next years race. and yes we changed the gearing up and down to get it the best.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Slightly off track, but a few summers ago at a little outdoor track, I was lapping guys with my xxx-t 17x3 absolutly schooling them, with slashes /blitz/ rc10sc etc with big brushless systems. Only useable power is needed in racing situation IMO. But hell its fun going down the street pulling 30 mph wheelies....weeee
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

The powerband and gearing are just so different. It's like comparing a big block engine that makes 500 hp at 5000 rpm to a smaller high boosted 4 cylinder engine that makes 500 hp at 8000 rpm. Peak to peak they can be the same but the way they deliver power is radically different. This motor is definitely faster than what I would ever need and I don't want to run that fast of a motor in my RC10 or JRX's. I killed a JRX gearbox with a 19 turn brushed motor. This would shred it. I'm thinking a 10.5 or even a 13.5 for them.

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Yeah, they are very different. I always found brushless to have more punch with the same top end. Basically same horsepower but much more torque through out the entire power band.

But these are personal feelings.

I have a 17.5 sensored setup that is mediocre at best, I changed the esc and kept the 17.5 motor and ran it sensorless (no punch or anything, just running it sensorless) and it feels twice as fast.