Losi XX racer, help with steering

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sgirouard
Approved Member

Losi XX racer, help with steering

Post by sgirouard »

I'm going to race a Losi XX and I'm running into issues with the amount of steering, specifically to the right.

Just to put it out there, the radio is maxed, I've used many servos. But I haven't tried a longer servo arm.

Without the servo, there's a TREMENDOUS amount of tire movement, but once installed, it seems like the servo's travel restriction doesn't allow for full movement. Any ideas on a fix? Should I just look for a longer servo arm?

jamin
Approved Member

Re: Losi XX racer, help with steering

Post by jamin »

A longer horn would help for sure, but I never had any problems using the stock horn - if thats what you are using.

Have you made sure the servo trim is in neutral on the transmitter and the horn is a close to vertical as possible on the servo splines so that you get equal travel in both directions?

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Thanks for the quick reply.

It's not the stock horn so I think I'll have to look at that. Aside from that, I've tried everything. The current horn is 100% vertical.

That at least gives me a starting point. Don't get me wrong, the steering is good, but I race on a very small curvy track and want as much steering as possible.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

The stock horn was quite small too - you can only go so big until it hits the upper brace...

If all fitted correctly, you should be able to get full lock either way - so the spindle carriers go up against the hubs and cant pivot any further.

Have you also made sure you are not running a silly amount of toe-in? Try and ensure the wheels point straight and parallel when viewed from above. The more toe-in you use, the less likely you are to reach full lock.

Setup wise, remember that steering also comes from the rear of the car - by changing rear camber links/springs etc you can induce more rear roll which helps the car rotate.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Did you center the servo before installing , POwer up the servo and center then the radio to 0 then install horn to vertical. also check that there is no binding or the horn isnt touching the x-brace when it swings.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

slapshot1979 wrote:Did you center the servo before installing , POwer up the servo and center then the radio to 0 then install horn to vertical. also check that there is no binding or the horn isnt touching the x-brace when it swings.
I don't want to ASSuME but I figure Scott knows enough to do that, and besides, the problem isn't steering not being centered--which your suggestions would certainly remedy--but that he's not getting ENOUGH steering. The first thing that comes to mind is that the servo isn't throwing enough in either direction...at least, that's how I'm interpreting it. Maybe it's the radio, could be the servo. My vintage Futaba Magnum Juniors had a screw you could adjust to increase or decrease the amount that the servo turns in either direction off of center.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I agree it would center it up but would also possibly allow more steering to the right if servo horn was set off to the right, I cant know everyone here or their experience level. Its all good. I just find sometimes it doesnt hurt to point out the basics as we all get flustered sometimes
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Scott check the center link between the two arms, it moves in and out it will give you more or less through also. I cant remember it it has a turnbuckle or a RPM link
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Thanks for all the tidbits everyone. I'm still learning the more advanced setups on cars so this thread has helped a lot.

As an update though, even with the "limited" steering, I took her out to race Friday night at my local track. I didn't tell anyone what she was and we are running an open class for all non-short course trucks. Basically there's about 6 guys who want to run buggies and stadium trucks. I had her set up with my RTR electronics out of my XXX-SCT, so it had the MSC12L esc, 15turn Losi throw away motor etc and even with the steering not at 100%, I took second. Everyone kept asking what she was. Is that a 22? Is that a B4? I just kept quiet. I took second behind a brushless XXXT-MF2. After the main, the XXXT driver says on the stand, "Guys you just got beat by a 17 year old car".

I love how the XX drives. It's different than the more modern cars but just as capable. I had to change my braking style, the XX seems to steer better under braking than the more modern cars, but worse under power so that was an easy thing to figure out.

I think once I get the steering dialed in and my 17.5 system in her, she'll be able to keep up with any modern buggy.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Very cool great job on second!!
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Thanks Rick. I'm going to check out that link you mentioned. I think if I lengthen it just a bit, that will help.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

That will adjust the ackerman and affect the handling - be careful. I recall never having to adjust that, I would keep it stock length if I were you, or at least dont go crazy, otherwise you'll end up with some weird steering angles that may affect the handling, which may cause you to place third! HAHAHAA :D

Great work on beating the newer cars, very satisfying I bet, also proves just how little performance there is to be gained now chassis wise.

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Thanks for the heads up Jamin. Yeah, I'm at the "tinker with it" stage to find the set up that suits me best.

You're dead on, it was very satisfying LOL. I did a few practice laps to see if it would turn okay, (the track is small with lots of turns so if you can't turn well, you're done) and after playing around with driving styles, I found the one that worked best for me with the XX.

It was interesting because I had raced the JRX2 way back when which required intense breaking and throttle for the corners because they push so much under power and then I was racing the XXX which was very different. The XX really is a mix of the two but I will say, the XX is a much better jumper than the XXX which caught me off guard. It's rear end stayed level a lot more than the XXX did for me and on bad jumps where one front tire plants first, it landed square and straight EVERY time.

I let one of the kids run it around a few laps at the end of the night and he was a NATURAL with the XX while really struggling in his Short Course truck (owns a slash LOL). He was keeping up with the 4th place guy in buggy (a rustler with a good driver). The kid really wants a XX now. LOL Hard to tell him he's not going to find it on any shelf (except maybe a collectors).

ASC6000
Approved Member

Post by ASC6000 »

I recently was TQ of all classes for the day with a XXT running a stock brushed pink motor and a 1700scr.....
It can be done ! Sad part is I was slower in open buggy with my xxcr :cry:

Just for grins take the servo out and check it's function by itself. iv'e had gears chunk a tooth and do what you are describing.

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Nope, solution was even easier. I did have to move the servo horn over 1 tooth. The way the servo sits, the horn has to be either a hair to the left or right. It turned out it needed to be to the right, and originally was to the left. I figured this out when I checked out my end point adjustment and realized that my radio allows for 120% and not just 100% and after setting both sides to 120%, the servo was buried to the right and not quite full motion to the left. :o

Gotta love on the fly adjustments LOL.

Now I have to redo the rear suspension because I put in a brushless motor which is substantially heavier than the brushed motor.