Citroën ZX Optima Mid LWB Rally

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

j0pp3
Approved Member

Re: Citroën ZX Optima Mid LWB Rally

Post by j0pp3 »

Great to know about the bumper! It's the best candidate so far. I also checked the scale car body mount set but the mounting posts might be a bit short for a Citroën body. At least for the rear. I will get back to this when I have measured the height needed.

Thanks for all the input!
Cheers
Joel

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

j0pp3 wrote:Thank you EvolutionRevolution! The bumper you are using, does it fit the Optima Mid without any modification? I have only seen it on models based on Ultima.
You need part number OR-46.

There's also a later bumper that fits all Optima, Lazer, and GP-10 cars and that has a better design.

For the body posts, you can try Kyosho Spider part 92322, which has adjustable body mounts.

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Alright! The later version you mentioned, may it be OR-29?

Cheers
Cheers
Joel

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

I've just posted up some pics of my F40 project in my Optima Mid thread.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=29489&p=325034#p325034

Keith :wink:

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

j0pp3 wrote:Alright! The later version you mentioned, may it be OR-29?

Cheers
No. You can see it on my Lazer ZX-R Mk II here.

Unlike OR-46, it won't bend down (and eventually break) when you hit something.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Watching this thread with interest... as I have a Citroen body somewhere (I think, haven't seen it since I moved!). Those SI-12 body accessory parts are like golden rocking horse doo-doo to find.... I think mine will be a road version if I ever build it.....

As an aside, I'm just finishing the rebuild (finally) of my Kyosho Celica GT-Four (original pictures here: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=40949&sid=154), which is Lazer-based rather than Optima-based. Not bad, seeing as it needed a rebuild in about 2006.... once I'm finished I might have to create a thread for it too. Then we can all work out what body I should put on it, as the original is basher-fine, but pretty much toast for anything else.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Incredible_Serious wrote:Watching this thread with interest... as I have a Citroen body somewhere (I think, haven't seen it since I moved!). Those SI-12 body accessory parts are like golden rocking horse doo-doo to find.... I think mine will be a road version if I ever build it.....

As an aside, I'm just finishing the rebuild (finally) of my Kyosho Celica GT-Four (original pictures here: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=40949&sid=154), which is Lazer-based rather than Optima-based. Not bad, seeing as it needed a rebuild in about 2006.... once I'm finished I might have to create a thread for it too. Then we can all work out what body I should put on it, as the original is basher-fine, but pretty much toast for anything else.

Alex
Nice. I remember those rally models that were based on Lazer Alpha. I think I have a Kyosho mini catalog where a few of them are presented.

/j0pp3
Cheers
Joel

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Sunny weather in Stockholm today so I got a few parts done with the Dremel. Optima mid front tower and a Slingshot rear tower plus front/rear suspension plates. I'm not sure a Slingshot tower will work as I want but I want to try it. The Optima Mid tower I used as a template was modified with extra holes that don't even line up but I didn't realize that until the tower was finished... Right now it's no big deal as I will try different shock setups anyway.

Cheers
Joel

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Another update. After some testing I decided to use the slingshot tower in the front instead. It makes it possible to get a good suspension geometry with shocks laying down. It is also a bit lower than the standard Mid tower which may help with body positioning later on. Don't worry, I will fix the negative camber angle. The front suspension plate seems to work fine.

Cheers
Joel

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Got some more time spent on this project! :mrgreen:

I ignored my first idea of having short shocks in the rear as the long shocks gets a better mounting position after all. As in the front, the rear shocks are mounted in the hubs and I found out that they can be mounted in the gearbox if they are fitted behind the wishbones. As you may suspect the rear hubs are placed backwards.

Rushed it a bit and just had to try the wheels on even if the car lacks rear turnbuckles and dog bones all around :lol:

Next on the list is to craft a matching top deck.

Cheers
Joel

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Interesting project, j0pp3...looks like you're trying to go as low-profile as possible, judging by how you're mounting your shocks. I love the simplicity in the design of the Optima Mid series' chassis. The original Optima is a nice chassis but can be a real bear to work on.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Yes, I'm aiming for a low profile this time as it seems to fit these kind of cars. I'm going to craft a shock tower just to be able to attach the rear body mounts. Mounting the body will take a bit more work than usual because it already has holes (adapted for the original Raider chassis). I will solve it anyway but the holes will "control" how the mounting setup is arranged. I have found some vintage mounting posts that almost looks like those included in monster truck conversion kits. Might give them a try as they feel sturdy. The rear part of the body is relatively high compared to other onroad cars so the mounting posts have to be put higher than normal.
Cheers
Joel

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Some more parts made. You might ask why I chose to copy a Rear Plate (L) adapted for a mechanical speed control and the answer is that I only have that version in metal. I prefer copying metal parts because it's so much easier to follow the contour without hurting the original part too much :D

Next update will show an almost complete roller!

See ya soon...
Cheers
Joel

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

You might want to modify that rear plate to cut down on unnecessary weight. I did something similar to the attached image, cutting out the unnecessary triangular section in my own Mid SE build because it serves no purpose without an MSC. That and a bit of grinding/filing to round the edges and it'll weigh less and be just as strong.
PartMod.jpg
PartMod.jpg (6.66 KiB) Viewed 880 times
PartMod.jpg
PartMod.jpg (6.66 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Cutting weight is good. Thanks for taking your time illustrating the modification. I'll fix it tomorrow!

Cheers
Cheers
Joel