- Asso_man's custom Classic -

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

shodog
Approved Member

Re: - Asso_man's hopped-up Classic -

Post by shodog »

That looks really nice. This build is going to turn out great

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Hot Trick would be proud! Looks great! 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

I dig the contrasting black and red on the shocks.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Oh, that is looking very good! Your also doing a red black contrast on the nylon right? Not sure if I would mill the red chassis, I don't think the silver will pop as much on the red as a black chassis would, even though it would still be cool to do!

You have great taste!

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

That's looking nice, David. I really like the red and black combo and they did a great job matching the red across all of the parts.

I'm not sure about milling the chassis parts, either. But with all of the detail on those JConcepts goodies, maybe... It's going to be a killer build at this point regardless of which way you go! Are you planning on anodizing the REC wheels as well? 8)

SofaKing
Approved Member

Post by SofaKing »

This is going to turn out real nice, the best take on a rere so far :D

Not sure which way to lean on the milling though, could look nice with a bit of exposed silver and either stainless or silver aluminum hardware throughout. Then on the other hand all black and red would give it a real "mean" look :twisted:

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

That's a great color! It's going to look great finished!

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to building it. I think I will dye all the parts black. I also thought about leaving the arms, ball cups (I'll use Yokomo ones) and shock parts white and the rest black. Still undecided... The REC wheels will most probably stay bare aluminium. Today I built a pair of CVD's that were never offered as a kit and will fit the theme nicely I think:

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Spent some time on it during the weekend: after an unsuccessful dye bath with a Dylon dye that turned the parts into an awful light blue/grey when it was supposed to be black, I ordered some good ol' Rit Dye on the web as it is not available here in shops and after 30' the parts eventually came out pitch dark.

I also spent some time on the shocks, two extra spacers were added to each rear shock and they could probably even get a third one but then removing the two super thin ones included in the kit. The infamous Green Slime was of course used throughout all four shocks. Pityfully enough I lost one of the shock collars (why didn't they include a lip on these collars or at least a centering collar?) and had to go through my stash to find an alternative, I ended up with four DS/B2 era black shock collars which will do the job nicely. What is nice about this kit is that you don't have to worry about period correctness :P

Today I will order some black yokomo rod ends as I don't feel like dying old perfect white ones along with hardware to fabricate the front and rear sway bars 8)

Next step is to start building that awesome tranny from REC! Sorry for the crappy night pics. Stay tuned...

Blacktiger355
Approved Member

Re: - Asso_man's custom Classic -

Post by Blacktiger355 »

Looking good!

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

So ironic, now that we have re-re and a supply of white parts, everyone is fine with going the dye route! :lol:

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

flipwils11 wrote:So ironic, now that we have re-re and a supply of white parts, everyone is fine with going the dye route! :lol:
So true, but I guess it's human, when resources are scarce you tend to try to save them, and when it pours you tend to use them at will. For me the Classic was a real opportunity to try different things I never dared to do before with a genuine vintage example but always wanted to. I really felt more free in terms of imagination and cutomising methods, not even mentioning period correctness. And I think this also shows in the other Classic builds on this forum, it really boosted creativity IMO. On top, I really wanted to give a real tribute to this legendary kit and tried to offer her the best clothes available :) I really enjoyed every single step up to now and I'm not about to be done.

Anyway, back to the build, my wife is away for a few days and I spent the whole evening (and part of the night :lol: ) yesterday to progress after the kids went to bed. I couldn't stop actually, I was feeling like an old addict :mrgreen: Light was poor and I didn't have an opportunity to take some good in between pictures.

While waiting for the re-re World's rear hubs to be available, I played with some RPM GT rear hubs but they will unfortunately not do the trick as they slightly narrow the rear track width and cause some binding issues when shocks are fully compressed. Too bad as they are looking good on there.

I also had to use one plastic shim between the rear a-arms and their respective mounts as I experienced too much play at that spot.

I am now patiently waiting for the REC wheels to arrive and I also ordered a Keil/Yokomo front/rear sway bar kit that I plan to modify and adapt to the car. It has some nice red anodised alloy bits that will look da bizz on there 8)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang-

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

:shock: That looks terrific!!!!!! I love the red on black theme!
Jeff

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

looks nice. I gotta ask, how is the spacing on the jconcepts bell cranks? does it have a little more spacing between the holes than other bell cranks?