Story of an AYK legends revival. BOOST!...MORE PICS 19/03/08

The place for all things AYK.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Re: Story of an AYK legends revival. BOOST!...MORE PICS 19/03/08

Post by RETRO R/C »

Wow - this thing is painfull - yet at the same time extremely rewarding.

First - the pics of some work being done. Then the story of why this is happening and how it will end up.

NOT your average AYK differential here!

DID I MENTION R U S T before?? LOLOL

The AYK fans among you will immediately notice that this is a very different set up for the drivetrain. These diffs are a hybrid of original AYK and Kyosho Optima Mid ball diffs. When I get around to it - I will give a step by step on how to do it for yourself.

I have to mention the Product Simple Green....I have never used anything so brilliant on plastic parts in my entire racing life. I continuously saw it mentioned on US forums - but never tried it. A year or so ago - I got a bottle and haven't used anything else since. The best part is that it is relatively easier on the environment and is fully biodegradable...No - I don't get free stuff for the "plug" - just thought I would share with non US members that I can verify that this stuff is killer at removing everything from dust to rust to grease from just about any surface.

Now - back to the story of this car and why it is being built. This car will most definately be a runner. I saw the famous A Final placed car in person back in 89 at the Worlds here in Australia. I have always thought what a great car it would be to drive and own. While that car was a "Pro Radiant" - the Boost is almost identical - and looks allot tougher in my opinion. I have few of the Boost series of cars, but none that I would want to drive as they are all perfectly new. I recently came across this car in a big purchase of a top drivers cars from the 80's and 90's. Sadly - they are all in this terrible state - however there are literally works cars in the lot. Cars like a factory TRX-1, Schumacher Pro cat - TEAM spec and several others. Now this guy had a father that was into modifying their cars for the best performance. This Boost really caught my eye. It had a custom made conversion to belt drive and a limited slipper for the top shaft. I thought this would be the best chance I would ever have of really going for it and building a car I had always fantasized about. At about this time - Bormac also mentioned that he was going to try and get one together too.....so Team BOOST was quickly formed. I have been madly trying to get parts for not only Jasons car (and he has been trying hard too - thanks SCOTT), but mine as well. Here is what some of the features of this runner Boost of mine will be:

1) Belt drive
2) Custom carbon fibre side plates and lower chassis to allow saddle pack batt layout
3) Carbon shock towers
4) Custom adjustable front camber links
5) POSSIBLY Yokomo or Kyosho axles and wheels to allow fitment of more modern tires.
5) A few more secrets that should make it a stunner.

I dont often put my projects up on the board for fear of appearing like I am "Gloating" - however I really love to share my passion for these special cars. I really hope these pics and comments help some people out - if nothing else inspire them to not be put off by seemingly impossible tasks.

Jason and I are gonna run these cars a large vintage meeting here in Aus in the middle of the year, so this car aint gonna be no shelf queen - not that there is anything wrong with that!! :wink:

Cheers for now

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

A rock tumbler with the right abrasive will do wonders on the metal parts.

Woobie
Approved Member

Post by Woobie »

Templeofspeed took the words right out of my mouth!!!! I own a small vibratory tumbler, which I purchased from a company called Eastwood. For about $150.00- you basically get the base that has the vibrating mechanism, as well as a small plastic bowl, a medium plastic bowl, a bag of abrasive pyramids, and a bag of polishing medium.

I have taken many a car, stripped it down, and threw all the metal parts, along with the smaller plastic parts (have even done Tamiya rims,) into the bowl. Dump the abrasive pyramids into the mix, add about a half cup of degreaser, and turn it on. Usually, by about 8 hours, it has totally stripped everything down to metal.

Then if you want, you can refinish the parts, or if they are aluminum, throw them in with the polishing medium, and it works just awesome.

Scott

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

LOL - I was going to try and make my own tumbler - but looked at how they worked - and thought - "bugger it" - I will just stick to steel wool and good old fashioned elbow grease!!

I might check on good old ePay to see what is around.

Scott - I have some chassis protector if you want it mate. Least I can do after your efforts lately!

Cheers

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Anyone have a close up pic of the tires that were used on the Race Prep/USA version? I know the AYK/East version has the V spike Hi-Sport tire, but looking Woobie's box, RP obviously had a different tire.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

:wink:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Bullfrog
Approved Member

Post by Bullfrog »

Jason, very nice, it's coming together very smoothly, I'll be sending you the bearings on Monday for the gearboxes, and work on the belt drive should start on Monday as well. I can't wait to get my one together.
Cheers Bullfrog

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Well - "BRT" is coming along nicely at the moment. Three or four of us are getting these things together.

I am waiting on some carbide diff balls for mine, also sent my chassis parts and a template for the pro radiant chassis off to a friend with CAD experience...so this is all going to get very interesting. I really do want to keep it close to period as possible though. I am hoping only to use the wheels and perhaps axles from a modern car - as I want to keep it an "authentic" experience.

The plastic parts have cleaned up rather nicely indeed - more pics to come very shortly.

Cheers

Darryn

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Excellent cars guys, I wish I had one...

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

You guys have inspired me. Here is my 1 of 2. I need to dig out the other one, of which will be build as the Race Prep/US version. This one is in great shape, run once.... I think there is one mark on the back motor guard. Also have a set of NIP box art tires already for it ready to go on. Body was cut and seems to be very fragile, as the the rear mounting section is pretty much trashed.
Attachments
IMG_2485a.JPG
IMG_2485a.JPG (125.65 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
IMG_2485a.JPG
IMG_2485a.JPG (125.65 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
IMG_2486.JPG
IMG_2486.JPG (97.87 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
IMG_2486.JPG
IMG_2486.JPG (97.87 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
www.gojammedia.com

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

After some discussion with Darryn, is sounds like my other one is the Pro Radiant or a Boost (not pictured), I need to pull it out to be sure. He says the one pictured is throwing him for a loop. :D
www.gojammedia.com

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

LOL Jay - great talking just now.

Mate - I love it when my thread gets hijacked with awesome rare stuff like this!!

What you have there appears to be one of the "specials" that Race Prep rushed out to rescue the flagging sales of the original Radiant. I have NEVER seen one in the flesh before - so great that you have found one. As you can see on the "Race Prep" version of the Radiant you have has ball bearings, Oil filled shocks, Race prep motor etc. This was a vast improvement over the terrible standard shocks supplied in the original kit (honestly worse than the worst of Tamiya shocks!!). The shocks appear to be development shocks as well - because the lower cartridge area is significantly different to those used on the Boost and Pro Radiant.This car you have also appears to have a Radiant Pro style bumper and front shock tower. Pretty amazing stuff I have to say - that is truly a rare bird indeed. What a terrific kit.......

The Boost and Radiant Pro had "mid mount" motors. The cars were pretty much identical with the exception of the bodies and lower chassis. The "Race Prep" Radiant Pro had the best layout for the chassis with a saddle pack configuration. Sadly the cars were way behind the times, with Belt drives totally dominant (we are talking very late 8's to early 90's here!) - they simply could not compete against the mids and dogfighters.....hence why I love the one I am rebuilding in this thread - as it is one of the ones that the original owner refused to give up on and converted it to a mid belt drive......I really want to keep it period correct.

Cheers guys.......if you have got interesting stuff - please feel free to keep posting pics - specially rare stuff like Jays little addition today

Darryn

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Great info. Thank you sir! :D
www.gojammedia.com

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hi guy's,

I have been away for a while - so an update is needed!

Firstly I have managed to have the drawings done in CAD of the Race
Prep chassis, and the related side plates and some shock towers. I hav4 a couple of people who want me to g eta chassis set made for them - please feel free to let me know if you are interested. Costs are still undecided at the moment as the more I get done - the better the price . Chassis will be made from ultra high grade carbon as seen on bikes at the olympics!! very high quality stuff - most probably the units will be "laser cut". Again - please let me know if you are interested.

I have been fitting the carbide balls to the diffs on the best pictures earlier in this thread, and rust deposits have been all but removed and polished out....tough work I have to tell you!

I hope to have pics up of the completed car soon.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Darryn

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

:wink:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980