ROAR Nationals on SPEED channel?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JK Racing

Re: ROAR Nationals on SPEED channel?

Post by JK Racing »

Without bashers...there would be few/no RC companies around for racing. Racing doesnt keep this hobby alive (and I am willing to admit this, I am a 22+ year racer too).

Love or Hate Traxxas, they have been instrumental in bringing thousands of people into RC cars, and some of those people bleed over into racing. True, Traxxas doesnt support racing, but many many people race Traxxas vehicles. Not talking just the Slash here, Revo and to a lesser extent TMaxx, Rustler, Bandit...why would Traxxas need to be ROAR affiliated? What products do they sell that need ROAR approval? I dont think there are lines of people wanting the Titan 12T motor ROAR legal to toss into their cars. Their cars/trucks fall within the rules, and chassis dont need to be approved.

ROAR has set up a provisional class at the 1/10 electric nationals this year for SCT (Short Course Trucks), and many of the rules are based on the Slash (dimensions, weight, width, body coverage & basic shape)...

Before the RC10 (thank you AE for making a dedicated race car), frogs, grasshoppers, scorpions, SRBs ruled the race track...were they race cars? No, but we slapped all kinds of stuff on them and raced them anyways.

Back on topic....I am happy to see RC racing hit TV, even if it is cable TV.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

JK Racing wrote:Without bashers...there would be few/no RC companies around for racing. Racing doesnt keep this hobby alive (and I am willing to admit this, I am a 22+ year racer too).
Not looking to start a fight here, but come on........ :roll:

So by your thinking without the racing companies this hobby would have gotten along just fine with all the quality products sold at RadioShack or the early Tamiya plastic-crappers?
JK Racing wrote:Love or Hate Traxxas, they have been instrumental in bringing thousands of people into RC cars, and some of those people bleed over into racing. True, Traxxas doesnt support racing, but many many people race Traxxas vehicles. Not talking just the Slash here, Revo and to a lesser extent TMaxx, Rustler, Bandit...why would Traxxas need to be ROAR affiliated? What products do they sell that need ROAR approval? I dont think there are lines of people wanting the Titan 12T motor ROAR legal to toss into their cars. Their cars/trucks fall within the rules, and chassis dont need to be approved.
Yes, but the point is while the profits traxass makes goes straight into their now-deep pockets - Losi, AE, and tons of other turn some of their profits around into actually supporting the hobby and racing by sponsoring races and paying their ROAR affiliation fees each year.

Please tell me just how many tracks that you know of or race on would exist at all without their affiliation and membership to ROAR whose umbrella coverage insures their facility -- which thereby would cease operations entirely without said insurance???
My guess, not a single one.
JK Racing wrote:ROAR has set up a provisional class at the 1/10 electric nationals this year for SCT (Short Course Trucks), and many of the rules are based on the Slash (dimensions, weight, width, body coverage & basic shape)...
Really, so that's so? So those rules weren't based at all on the thundertech or SC10 trucks?
Funny, but the people I talk to at ROAR says you're completely WRONG.
JK Racing wrote:Before the RC10 (thank you AE for making a dedicated race car), frogs, grasshoppers, scorpions, SRBs ruled the race track...were they race cars? No, but we slapped all kinds of stuff on them and raced them anyways.
And not very well might I add....

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

RER40 wrote:Not looking to start a fight here, but come on........ :roll:

So by your thinking without the racing companies this hobby would have gotten along just fine with all the quality products sold at RadioShack or the early Tamiya plastic-crappers?
No, by my thinking, Racers would not have what they have today without bashers. Give credit where credit is due. Without those RadioShack/Tyco/Nikko & Tamiya "plastic-crappers", we wouldnt be on the internet having this "discussion".

And yes, it appears in MOST of your posts, you are trying to start a fight, or at least find some reason why you are right and the rest of the world is wrong.
Yes, but the point is while the profits traxass makes goes straight into their now-deep pockets - Losi, AE, and tons of other turn some of their profits around into actually supporting the hobby and racing by sponsoring races and paying their ROAR affiliation fees each year.

Please tell me just how many tracks that you know of or race on would exist at all without their affiliation and membership to ROAR whose umbrella coverage insures their facility -- which thereby would cease operations entirely without said insurance???
My guess, not a single one.
So since Traxxas doesnt spend the $80-$100 a year to be a ROAR affiliate, this makes them wrong? I cannot understand your disdain for them based on their business decisions. Oh, and recently, I participated in a race sponsored by Traxxas, and the cash payouts were cut from Traxxas and given to the drivers.

And by your thinking, tracks would cease operations without ROAR affiliation & insurance? So everyone on the road driving a real vehicle will stop driving if they didnt have Allstate (or insert any other name there)?
Really, so that's so? So those rules weren't based at all on the Thundertech or SC10 trucks?
Lets see:

Roar Rule
Wheelbase: 320~335 mm
Slash: 335mm SC10: 327mm Thundertech: 305mm
Overall Length: 540~568mm
Slash: 568mm SC10: 550mm Thundertech: 533mm
Overall Width: 290~296mm
Slash: 296mm SC10: 293mm Thundertech: 230mm

Only "nod" toward the Thundertech truck was naming a solid rear axle as legal, other than that, the Thundertech truck is NOT legal. Looks like the rules were MEANT to encompass the Slash, and like it or not, the SC10 is an afterthought COPY of the Slash. Ask your people at ROAR why they didnt have the rules include their truck completely.
And not very well might I add....
Maybe I am in the minority here, but if every car on the track is doing "not very well", isnt the car in front winning? I consider that "well". It isnt fair comparing modern RCs with 20+ year old RCs. That would be comparing the original VW Beetle to a Honda Civic, both little economy cars, both great in their day....but not comparable side by side.

[/rant off]

I am done attempting to discuss this, I think any RC based tv shows for the general public is a great idea, I think selling Traxxas vehicles at PepBoys is a great idea, I think Losi vehicles being sold by Toys R Us is a great idea. I think Traxxas finding a business model that lines their deep pockets in a down economy is great. I think anything that may expand our hobby is a great idea.

And I had a blast racing my Slash last night, along with 30 other guys in a night with 120 entries at our one of many local tracks.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

JK Racing wrote:And yes, it appears in MOST of your posts, you are trying to start a fight, or at least find some reason why you are right and the rest of the world is wrong.
Oh, I get it now.
YOU are allowed your opinion but if someone differs from that then they ae the one trying to start a fight.
Got it!! :roll:

Now I know why it's been discussed that people get drug tested to use discussion boards.

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

none of the 6 tracks around me use ROAR insurance, it discourages casual racers from racing because they have to pay for a roar membership.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

everyone is allowed their opinion, but when you tell someone they are WRONG for having an opinion or thought on something, then you're arguing. And your insinuation of drug testing is completely uncalled for. I in no way attacked you, but feel your purposely put this in as an attack toward me. Internet attitudes like yours are what keep helpful and informative discussions from forming.

Now I know why it's been discussed that people get drug tested to use discussion boards.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

greazy
Approved Member

Post by greazy »

And yes, it appears in MOST of your posts, you are trying to start a fight, or at least find some reason why you are right and the rest of the world is wrong.

I pointed this out last week, when I was told to be wrong on mixing shock oils only to be be 99% right. I have pointed out there has always been a negitive vibe on most of his post. from day one the first post he had were when someone had posted something that had benn posted in another thread. I dont know what fourms you are used to but this is the most freindly I have found, lets keep it that way.

I am all for everyones opinion it is what makes a thread a thread,but there is a nicer approch other than I am right and you are wrong. All I ask is do your homework before you call someone out.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Just wait, it gets better. Can’t be long now until he starts the 12 year old out of school shtick, multiple screen names to agree with himself, the ‘60s era text graphic of banging his head against the wall and so on. Will be interesting to see how long this screen name goes before being suspended on this site. New territory for this site from what I can see.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

ok guys, take a step back and chill... there are far more important things in life to get irked over than this type of stuff.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Does anyone know if these races are actually going to be televised? This thread seems to have been derailed.

On the ongoing argument, anyone who purchases RCs supports the hobby. Labelling is just wrong. :lol:
Oh, and for RER40 it's spelled Traxxas.... always has been. ;)
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

greazy wrote:
I pointed this out last week, when I was told to be wrong on mixing shock oils only to be be 99% right. I have pointed out there has always been a negitive vibe on most of his post. from day one the first post he had were when someone had posted something that had benn posted in another thread. I dont know what fourms you are used to but this is the most freindly I have found, lets keep it that way.

I am all for everyones opinion it is what makes a thread a thread,but there is a nicer approch other than I am right and you are wrong. All I ask is do your homework before you call someone out.
That's BS - I tried to point out that you're mixing method wasn't accurate, it WASN'T - yet you were stating it as fact. I wasn't negative, just trying to be helpful. Then someone gave a link to a "mixing formula" and a couple of you went on the attack saying "na na, close enough, haha, told you so."
The mix was 58% to 42%......... how in the heck was this even close to accurate?
If you can't stand to be corrected when your wrong, and not get all butthurt.........jeez :roll:

greazy
Approved Member

Post by greazy »

badhoopty wrote:ok guys, take a step back and chill... there are far more important things in life to get irked over than this type of stuff.
I could keep this going on and on as you are missing the point, but out of respect to the above request I wont.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

civilguy wrote:Does anyone know if these races are actually going to be televised? This thread seems to have been derailed.

On the ongoing argument, anyone who purchases RCs supports the hobby. Labelling is just wrong. :lol:
Oh, and for RER40 it's spelled Traxxas.... always has been. ;)
There has been no "official" announcement as far as I know, but I hope it's close to a done deal. With all the crazy programming on cable, surely they would at least try it. I don't mean that I personally think r/c racing on tv is crazy because I know what it is. I'm just saying from the view of some panel of big-wigs at the Speed channel it may sound a little crazy until they see it. I still think a large % of people think of toystores when they hear R/C. This would be a great way for people to see what they can do. IMHO
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

civilguy wrote:Oh, and for RER40 it's spelled Traxxas.... always has been. ;)
I am quite well aware of that. :wink:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

RER40, is that signature really necessary?