New to me RC10T ****UPDATED 1/23/12 RESTO FINISHED****

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dave00beer
Approved Member

Re: New to me RC10T

Post by dave00beer »

klavy69 wrote:Dave,
The H2O2 bath indoors will work out with the same results as natural sunlight. Not sure if it will take longer or not but you'll get the same results anyway.

The extra hole was done to adjust the servo throw. Sucks but if you are painting/powdercoating then you can just fill it with some jbweld or something like that and it will be hidden after the finish. Either that or a well thought out sticker can always cover that too. I would find a powdercoater around you locally and then hit the internet if you can't find one locally. There are some guys on this site that have alot of it done so they can pry give you a ballpark figure if they see this.

Yep, b stamp is a common for these chassis.
A side note and I think you allready know this by other discussions but you don't want to do the H2O2 wash to any of those RPM parts...they get nasty.
Todd
Thanks Todd,

Yeah makes perfect sense about the hole now, I was sittin there thinking, "Man theres gotta be a reason someone drilled that hole" :?

Yeah JB weld might be the ticket.

Theres a company thats pretty local that does all shapes-sizes of powered coating, I will give them a call this week and see whats it gonna cost.

And thanks for the heads up on the RPM parts....I had totally forgot about that, as I do now remember reading it before. :)

SRTracer121 wrote:dude :shock:

that looks so sweet, thats one of those deals i would love to stumble upon for sure

going to post this on urc as well? thye've been seeing a lot of vintage restos on there as of late and it would be awsome to see that there as well :mrgreen:

Thanks man! For what I paid, I just couldn't resist :lol:

Yeah I may post there also, It just gets a bit involved keeping threads up in multiple sites.

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

oh god it does :x

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Hey guys, Just a quick question?

After tearing this thing down and looking at the parts a bit closer, Looks like I must have split two of the white RPM rod ends when. Will these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXEV20&P=FB&Q=1 work? I wanna stick with "white". Or is there something else I should use?

Thanks
Dave

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

they should, i had a set on my rs4mt and had ae ball ends as well

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

SRTracer121 wrote:they should, i had a set on my rs4mt and had ae ball ends as well

Yeah I just wanna make sure they will work forsure before I order them.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

They will without any problem- put a dab of diff lube on the buckle when you thread it and it will go much smoother as well 8)

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

a soft wax also works, picked that trick up from when my dad taught me how to put up kitchen cabinets and ive used it since

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Charlie don't surf wrote:They will without any problem- put a dab of diff lube on the buckle when you thread it and it will go much smoother as well 8)
SRTracer121 wrote:a soft wax also works, picked that trick up from when my dad taught me how to put up kitchen cabinets and ive used it since
Cool thanks alot guys, Just ordered them. :wink:

Checking with a local biz today to see how much powder coating the chassis will run.

Dave

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Well guys,

The weather here just really sucks....Spring is taking waaaaay to long to get here. I went to the local Pet-Smart and picked up a UVA bulb, and started the indoor H2O2 bath for the white parts, Just using the standard 3% brown bottle peroxide.

I gotta say I'm very pleased with the outcome, I'd say allot longer process indoors, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Approximately 22-26 hrs total soak time :) , and these were the results:

It maybe hard to tell in the pic, but not all parts are the exact brightness of white, mostly being the A-arms seem to be a slight bit duller looking then some of the other parts, But I do believe its all in the type of material.

Either way its a day-night difference. 8) I currently have one set of rims soaking as of a hour ago.

I called one powder coating place thats around the area.....With me describing to the dude on the phone of what the chassis was, etc. He gave me a quote of like $100, but he wanted to see it first and the price maybe cheaper? I was shocked, I was thinking no more then $40-$50 bucks for the powered coating....Or am I dreaming? I got a number for another place and will try them for a quote. I may just end up doing some light sanding and painting the chassis myself.

You guys think it would be wise to strip the whole chassis bare, then use a good etching primer before paint, or just clean well then shoot over the existing finish?

Either way, guess it all depends if I can get a better quote for the powder coat.

Well guess thats about it for now, I will update as time allows.

Dave

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

dave00beer wrote: I called one powder coating place thats around the area.....With me describing to the dude on the phone of what the chassis was, etc. He gave me a quote of like $100, but he wanted to see it first and the price maybe cheaper? I was shocked, I was thinking no more then $40-$50 bucks for the powered coating....Or am I dreaming? I got a number for another place and will try them for a quote. I may just end up doing some light sanding and painting the chassis myself.

You guys think it would be wise to strip the whole chassis bare, then use a good etching primer before paint, or just clean well then shoot over the existing finish?

Either way, guess it all depends if I can get a better quote for the powder coat.

Dave
Dave,
that sounds extremely high for powdercoating. I'm thinking re-annodize for that price :shock: . I'd follow thru for that guy outta curiosity. He might not be 'toy' related and is not picturing what you are describing. But if he is serious I'm heading to the garage to wire up my stove so I can get the powdercoater outta the box and start practicing up for my retirement next egg :mrgreen: .
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Yeah I do agree with you Todd, I don't think the guy really knew what I was talking about. He was more of a "receptionist" I think, just answering phones :lol:
It was like "whats a RC car :?"
"Well bring it in when the owners here" for a better quote.

I haven't got a hold of this other place that I was referred to yet.

We'll see what happens.

Dave

Midwest_Mudder
Approved Member

Post by Midwest_Mudder »

Thats insanely high priced for powdercoating. Heck, i know a guy that does anno for 68 bucks a batch per color. So if you wanted all blue parts and sent him a box full its 68 bucks, but if you wanted 1 black part, 1 blue part and 1 red part, thats 204 bucks... Its a good deal for single color stuff, but i could never use his service when i wanted my custom paintball stuff done b/c i wanted more than one color. Ill see if i can dig up his contact info if anyone wants/needs it?
Raised on cornfields.... Killing on Paintball fields... Nebraska Baller Through and Through

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Midwest_Mudder wrote:Thats insanely high priced for powdercoating. Heck, i know a guy that does anno for 68 bucks a batch per color. So if you wanted all blue parts and sent him a box full its 68 bucks, but if you wanted 1 black part, 1 blue part and 1 red part, thats 204 bucks... Its a good deal for single color stuff, but i could never use his service when i wanted my custom paintball stuff done b/c i wanted more than one color. Ill see if i can dig up his contact info if anyone wants/needs it?

Yeah, that don't sound bad for anno, so the quote I got for the power is out the roof. I'm going to check with the other place today or Monday, and see if I can get a more down to earth price.

Dave

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Well I finally got around to talking to the other powder coater. Now his price was really down to earth, He's talking about $20 or so to do the chassis/motor mount and front piece.

IDK where the hell the original guy was coming from with his quote?

But anyways....I need to do a little bit of fine sanding on the front nose piece, and a bit on the chassis, to try and smooth out a few of the deeper scratches as much as possible. Should hopefully drop this off by the end of the week to be coated.

My question is what do you guys think the factory shade of black is? Would you say a flat black or semi-gloss? I was thinking its closer to a semi-gloss.

I just don't want this coming out super glossy, nor don't want it to look like just a black primer.

Once I get her back from the coater, I will start putting it all back together.

Will post progress as time allows.

Dave

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

dave00beer wrote:semi-gloss
that would get my vote of the 2 choices. Flat like primer isn't right and agree with you that a high gloss black would throw it off completely. Glad you have your powdercoater quote fixed. The $20 estimate for a chassis is really good considering if you bought a good etching primer and then a high quality paint you'd be putting out probably $12-15 anyway and then the time of spraying and such to get it just right. Good luck and show us some pix of it when you get 'er done. :wink:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!