A rant about flocks of gaudy peacocks

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: A rant about flocks of gaudy peacocks

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I did skin my favorite 3pk after I had to chase it down not once but 3 times at the 2006 US Openwheel championships. No one had a white 3pk with blue and red flames at that point-

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

RichieRich wrote:
littleVETTE wrote:don't let me get started about skins on radios and chargers...
Right? It's like everything has gone douche. :?

talk about attention whores. what's next, skins for batteries, motors, receivers, and servos?

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

littleVETTE wrote:talk about attention whores. what's next, skins for batteries, motors, receivers, and servos?
Doctor Zoidberg wrote:You don't have????
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

Incredible_Serious wrote:
littleVETTE wrote:talk about attention whores. what's next, skins for batteries, motors, receivers, and servos?

am i missing something here? or another idiot?

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

I was going to post an example of my least favorite style of painting, but then I saw it on this forum, and didn't want to offend anyone. :P

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Incredible_Serious wrote:
:lol: :lol: Everybody is doing it!! :lol: :lol:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

tsan wrote:I was going to post an example of my least favorite style of painting, but then I saw it on this forum, and didn't want to offend anyone. :P
It's cool. You won't offend me... :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: It's cool. You won't offend me... :lol:
Don't worry, it wasn't one of yours!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

tsan wrote:
Ahh good. I guess I was just under the hypnotic spell of your avatar; a la Scooby Doo "Bedlam Under The Big Top". :shock:

Or maybe my 5 year old daughter and I just watch too much Scooby Doo! :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
tsan wrote:
Ahh good. I guess I was just under the hypnotic spell of your avatar; a la Scooby Doo "Bedlam Under The Big Top". :shock:

Or maybe my 5 year old daughter and I just watch too much Scooby Doo! :mrgreen:
...and after a quick search I found a very weird video of said episode. God Bless the inter-web!! :mrgreen:

[youtube]Cce8wbKfmHg&feature=related[/youtube]
Ken

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Egad, who makes a cartoon about 3 children that have been murdered! Can't say I've seen that one.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

tsan wrote:Egad, who makes a cartoon about 3 children that have been murdered! Can't say I've seen that one.
Just to set your mind at ease, it's just screenshots of a Scooby Doo episode with soundbites from
HalloweenII. Your avatar just reminds me of it. Just found the weird video when searching for images of the clown's eyes. It is a bit twisted, but as a Scooby Doo and huge horror fan I can kinda see why someone took the time to make it. Besides, clowns do creep me out. :(

Just to get back to the paint: I love ultra straight, sharp clean lines with no bleeding. :D Someone can do a killer paintjob, but if there's any bleeding it just ruins it for me. Not that I'm never guilty of it! :evil: Then again, I'm talking about elite painters, certainly NOT myself. :cry: I just try and keep it old school. 8)
Ken

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

Coelacanth wrote:
Interestingly, the exact same thing happened when the hobby of modding computers became popular and trendy in the mid 2000's. I first discovered this practice of modding "the boring beige box" in 2002, as a result of needing to cut fan holes in my cases to improve airflow for overclocking. I happened upon a new website (at the time) dedicated to this new hobby of cutting up, painting, lighting up boring beige boxes, www. pimprig.com (now long-gone). There were only a handful of people doing it at the time, and it was all old-school. You wanted a window to show off your tight wiring and hardware, you had to cut it out yourself, install an acrylic sheet, etc. You wanted lighting inside your computer, you had to wire your own LED arrays. Computers that were any color but beige were unheard of back then; this was before companies like Dell and Compaq got ballsy, went out on a limb and produced BLACK COMPUTERS.

For a year or so, the beginning of the surging trend saw a good number of people take to the hobby the "old school way", and it was amazing how original and creative people were. Then, computer modding became a full-on trend, and that's when things went to sh!t.

By 2005, tons of people were "modding" computers; by that, I mean they wanted to buy & install lighting kits, colored cabling, windowed computer cases, lighted fans, cases already manufactured with colors, etc...in other words, it wasn't really modding anymore, and all the old-schoolers criticized all these computers as "pre-mod crap". The manufacturers saw a market and mass-produced many of the things we did by hand. Computer case makers, and to a lesser extent the big names: HP, Dell, Compaq, etc. all began making computers in black and other colors, with windows, with blue LEDs (also unheard-of in the early 2000's), fluorescent colored lighting, etc.

The main point of this is once something becomes too popular and mainstream, and it gets so much easier to do something, creativity and originality often suffers.

ya know this is happening in our own hobby now, look at the scalers and the guys who do massive, detailed projects. the aftermarket has stepped in and makes everything you could ever imagine for slashes and ax10's and all that other nonsense.

i pretty well suck at painting so i still think the reproduced un-creative stuff is impressive but i too agree, i like the 2-3 tone bodies with clean crisp lines that flow with the body and the car its on top of.

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

I know this thread is a little older now, but I though I'd add my take. I typically prefer a more conservative sceme myself... since 1995, all of my race bodies besides a couple have incorporated a white/yellow/green/blue layout front to back. Different breaks, differet shades, but the same general idea. I like to be able to see the colors from the drivers stand and I think its helpful for my car to be recognizable to others too.

But things evolve. Not everyone used to be creative in the 80s or 90s either.... and if everyone had the same kind of schemes now as what used to be popular, that wouldn't be very interesting either. That's the cool thing about bodies coming unpainted. You can have whatever you want on yours, just like everyone else can for their preference.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Oh great, thanks for the bump! :roll: Tim has since then changed his avatar and my posts in here make no sense now. :? Oh wait, I forgot... my posts never make any sense. :lol: Sorry for polluting the airwaves everybody! :oops: :mrgreen:
Ken