Prolite 4x4 with 1/8 scale power combo

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: Delete

Post by badhoopty »

same thing i do on my full size rigs.

this isnt mine, but it shows how clean they are and how custom they can be for routing wires.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dvdt/media/TieWrapLoom1.jpg.html

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:Well, since I'm in a much better mood today, and since some people seem interested now, here is the beast:

It's a Beeman X8 150A ESC & 2150KV sensored combo I scored for a really good price. I had a chance to run it on the track a little today, and I gotta say, I am impressed. With the 20T pinion (14T is stock on the 3500 KV 550 can), acceleration is roughly the same on 3S, though it is slightly slower on the top end than the OEM combo was. However, this ESC is far more tunable than the stock SC900 or the SC1200 I switched to in the interim. More importantly, after 15 minutes of hard, non-stop running, motor temp was a whopping 111*F, and the ESC never went over 95* at the hottest point I could measure. Compare this with egg-frying temps on the 550 can after a similar run.

Truck now curbs at 6.54 lbs w/6,600 mAh 3S - just a couple ounces over stock, so handling wasn't adversely affected. To the contrary, I had FAR fewer tumbles from over-correcting in mid-air due to the smoother operation of this ESC. With either Associated ESC, it was very touchy to adjust angle in flight.

I haven't received my 4S pack yet, and I don't know when I'll get around to ordering up a 6S (the combo is so-rated), but I am very happy with it on 3S for track use. Granted, it's now illegal in any racing class, but I don't do the ROAR/IFMAR thing anyway.
i bet the motor is larger then i think.. can you take a pic of a 540 size motor next to the motor in truck? i bet that would really show size cause that truck is big so you cant really tell how big that motor is... how is the truck holding up ? a motor larger then 550 and a 3 cell thats gotta be nuts

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Coelacanth wrote:For under $13, I bought a set of 6 nice billet aluminum separators that look good, install a whole lot quicker, and do a proper job of wire separation.
Good thing aluminum is a terrible conductor! :lol:

I have worked on a handful of 7 second 200+mph 1500+hp cars and we wouldn't touch a billet wire separator for obvious (?) reasons. Zip ties do the job and don't let the spark jump to ground like billet

Can we get some emoticons in this place?! I need a face palm for above and if we had a monkey throwing poop I'm sure Marc would use it :lol: lmao, j/k.....but seriously we need better emoticons to help demonstrate where we stand
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

gomachv wrote:Can we get some emoticons in this place?! I need a face palm for above and if we had a monkey throwing poop I'm sure Marc would use it :lol: lmao, j/k.....but seriously we need better emoticons to help demonstrate where we stand
nah. i like it much better when someone takes what i say the wrong way and gets pissed off about it. :mrgreen:

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

scr8p wrote:
gomachv wrote:Can we get some emoticons in this place?! I need a face palm for above and if we had a monkey throwing poop I'm sure Marc would use it :lol: lmao, j/k.....but seriously we need better emoticons to help demonstrate where we stand
nah. i like it much better when someone takes what i say the wrong way and gets pissed off about it. :mrgreen:
What are you trying to say?! You wanna start something yo?
:lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

pfft, bitch please....... :roll:

:wink: :mrgreen:

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

i bet the motor is larger then i think.. can you take a pic of a 540 size motor next to the motor in truck? i bet that would really show size cause that truck is big so you cant really tell how big that motor is
This is it next to the stock 550 can:

It's difficult to appreciate the size difference with the motor installed, though. It is about 1/4" larger diameter and 3/4" longer than a 550. A 540 is 1/4 shorter than a 550
... how is the truck holding up ? a motor larger then 550 and a 3 cell thats gotta be nuts
It's fine on 3S, not getting hammered any harder than it was with the 550 on 3S. I'm actually expecting better parts life on 3S with this set-up, as everything is just plain smoother than it was with the stock arrangment, or with the SC1200 ESC. Also, the larger pinion engages more spur teeth at once, so spur gear life should be improved as well.

I'm sure things are gonna get interesting with 4S and 6S, though.........
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

JPAE07
Approved Member

Post by JPAE07 »

Holy crap.
Thanks for that enlarged pic. I just figured out what the hell everyone was talking about.
Can we now rename this thread from "delete" to whatever it was previously?

Looks like it took some technique to arrange those tie's. Definitely helpful in soldering. Interesting idea.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

funny, on my prolite, i went down to a 540 can :) its back to stock now.

--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Re: Prolite 4x4 with 1/8 scale power combo

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

funny, on my prolite, i went down to a 540 can :) its back to stock now.
I presume on account of the 540 getting too much of a workout?

I know a lot of people do just fine running stock (or similar) components, but I just seem to demand too much of my kits. This combo was just the ticket for me. Now I can run my truck the way I want to without burning things up.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I pulled the 10.5 out to put it into my 22SCT :) We dont have a large 4x4SCT class at the track, and I just couldnt get into driving it either. It has been sitting for a while, will probably end up trading it off.

Dont get me wrong, its an awesome truck, I love it.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:
i bet the motor is larger then i think.. can you take a pic of a 540 size motor next to the motor in truck? i bet that would really show size cause that truck is big so you cant really tell how big that motor is
This is it next to the stock 550 can:

It's difficult to appreciate the size difference with the motor installed, though. It is about 1/4" larger diameter and 3/4" longer than a 550. A 540 is 1/4 shorter than a 550
... how is the truck holding up ? a motor larger then 550 and a 3 cell thats gotta be nuts
It's fine on 3S, not getting hammered any harder than it was with the 550 on 3S. I'm actually expecting better parts life on 3S with this set-up, as everything is just plain smoother than it was with the stock arrangment, or with the SC1200 ESC. Also, the larger pinion engages more spur teeth at once, so spur gear life should be improved as well.

I'm sure things are gonna get interesting with 4S and 6S, though.........
wow the pic with the 550 really shows how big that motor is.. before my mind was playing tricks on me the larger motor made the truck look smaller like an enlarged pic of a ae apex with offroad tires.. no weird noises with the 3cell ? no center diff in that truck ,right? hated the center diff setup on my losi 4x4 sct10. on loose surface the center diff unloads to fromt diff making front turn faster then the front diff unloads to make one wheel spinning crazy fast (thats when the weird noise would show up thinking it was the noise of the 1 driveshaft rotating at such a high speed) . i knew with that setup and my floored out driving style it was only mater of time till something broke so i sold it. i like the 4x4 stuff but even when i had the lighter traxxas 1/10 4x4 rally the 4x4+brushless= my nimh batteries super hot after running. (used my friends 2cell lipo a few times and no heat issues).. im old school and i dont want to do lipo so i sold them.. anyway back to your truck you should get a vid of the 6 cell in action

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Truck did well at the track yesterday. Even on 3S, it's much faster than necessary, but at least with this ESC, I have more throttle and brake control, so it is just overall smoother. The nice thing about having that much grunt is that even if I don't get it right coming out of a corner to hit the ramp, I can punch it and clear an 8' wide jump starting only about 2 feet from the base of the ramp. With those super soft Proline calibers and 20K in the diffs, it hooks up right now.

I definitely need to improve my driving skills, and transitioning from this to gold pan to 10T to my wacky buggy/truck/SCT thing certainly doesn't help, but I believe it's mostly up to me at this point. The truck's performance is up to par.

I did snap a front CVA bone, but nothing else went wrong. Despite the complaints people have had about the body mounts on this kit, mine are still hanging in there after some pretty gnarly hits. Really a very tough chassis, IMO.