Jrx-2 bodies on ebay, from original mold?

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

huminski
Approved Member

Re: Jrx-2 bodies on ebay, from original mold?

Post by huminski »

I also asked if he was 'the guy' that painted the original box art bodies.

He said he is not the guy, but is the son of the guy. :)

Just more info on a cool thread.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

hugger19
Approved Member

Post by hugger19 »

looks like the price for a painted body will be $40-$60 on top of the purchace price.

XxRONNxX
Approved Member

Post by XxRONNxX »

Since we're on the subject of Gary Kyes and his paint jobs, I just wanted to add the link to my original post with pics of his bodies.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33104

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

My guy has a bunch of the original molds that belong to losi. but he wouldnt pull any of them because Losi still owned them. the Xcellertor was his mould they only had a contract for so many. so he can pull them anytime. but he said I would have to make a deal with losi and get a contract from them for him to pull the others. since he didnt own the molds, so you know I called them and they said they were not intrested in helping me at all, even if I had him pull them and he retained the mold in his possion. it wasnt worth their time to deal with it.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

bearrickster wrote:My guy has a bunch of the original molds that belong to losi. but he wouldnt pull any of them because Losi still owned them. the Xcellertor was his mould they only had a contract for so many. so he can pull them anytime. but he said I would have to make a deal with losi and get a contract from them for him to pull the others. since he didnt own the molds, so you know I called them and they said they were not intrested in helping me at all, even if I had him pull them and he retained the mold in his possion. it wasnt worth their time to deal with it.
Interesting stuff!

So who owns the molds - is it the Losi family or TLR/Horizon Hobbies?.... you would have thought that for what it would cost to pull a range of different bodies for us vintage freaks it would be worthwhile, even if it was just to raise the profile of the Losi brand's heritage, especially given the recent re-re of the RC10 & the sudden interest by alot of old racers in the vintage stuff!

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

DerbyDan wrote:
bearrickster wrote:My guy has a bunch of the original molds that belong to losi. but he wouldnt pull any of them because Losi still owned them. the Xcellertor was his mould they only had a contract for so many. so he can pull them anytime. but he said I would have to make a deal with losi and get a contract from them for him to pull the others. since he didnt own the molds, so you know I called them and they said they were not intrested in helping me at all, even if I had him pull them and he retained the mold in his possion. it wasnt worth their time to deal with it.
Interesting stuff!

So who owns the molds - is it the Losi family or TLR/Horizon Hobbies?.... you would have thought that for what it would cost to pull a range of different bodies for us vintage freaks it would be worthwhile, even if it was just to raise the profile of the Losi brand's heritage, especially given the recent re-re of the RC10 & the sudden interest by alot of old racers in the vintage stuff!
Makes me think that TLR is run by a bunch of numb-nuts........I'm mean it's not exactly the same company of old is it?
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

LosiXXkid wrote:Makes me think that TLR is run by a bunch of numb-nuts........I'm mean it's not exactly the same company of old is it?
Yep this pretty much sums up my dealings with Losi lately. I think I am more of a pest to them. That is why I have the new XX bulkhead tooling in the works. (that and they said all the tooling has been pretty much destroyed for the old stuff) It is frustrating but at the same I kind of understand. They are under a big mega company with lots of staff and costs. They wants to see big returns on time and investment. Yeah maybe after all the energy spent they might cover their costs and make a tiny profit, but could that time have been spent on a project that makes a higher profit and sales for them? Guys like us are a really small market to take a risk on.

Personally I think Horizon Hobby should just buy me and my company to work just on old Team Losi products. Could be separate Losi division. Team Losi Originals! One guy on a mission to bring it all back! :) (a guy can dream right)

**edit for spelling
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

mytimac wrote:
LosiXXkid wrote:Makes me think that TLR is run by a bunch of numb-nuts........I'm mean it's not exactly the same company of old is it?
Yep this pretty much sums up my dealings with Losi lately. I think I am more of a pest to them. That is why I have the new XX bulkhead tooling in the works. (that and they said all the tooling has been pretty much destroyed for the old stuff) It is frustrating but at the same I kind of understand. They are under a big mega company with lots of staff and costs. They wants to see big returns on time and investment. Yeah maybe after all the energy spent they might cover there costs and make a tiny profit, but could that time have been spent on a project that makes a higher profit and sales for them? Guys like us are a really small market to take a risk on.

Personally I think Horizon Hobby should just buy me and my company to work just on old Team Losi products. Could be separate Losi division. Team Losi Originals! One guy on a mission to bring it all back! :) (a guy can dream right)
Dan,

You'll get my vote. :D
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

LosiXXkid wrote:
mytimac wrote:
Yep this pretty much sums up my dealings with Losi lately. I think I am more of a pest to them. That is why I have the new XX bulkhead tooling in the works. (that and they said all the tooling has been pretty much destroyed for the old stuff) It is frustrating but at the same I kind of understand. They are under a big mega company with lots of staff and costs. They wants to see big returns on time and investment. Yeah maybe after all the energy spent they might cover there costs and make a tiny profit, but could that time have been spent on a project that makes a higher profit and sales for them? Guys like us are a really small market to take a risk on.

Dan,

You'll get my vote. :D
+1 from me as well ;)
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

mytimac wrote:Personally I think Horizon Hobby should just buy me and my company to work just on old Team Losi products. Could be separate Losi division. Team Losi Originals! One guy on a mission to bring it all back! :) (a guy can dream right)
Will You hire me? I'm ready to become the second worker 8)

Jirka

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I called Losi back when I found the Molds, they told me with the deal they had with Horizon they didnt own the old stuff but because of their contract with them they made it seem like they couldnt sell anything on their own. if I could get the premission from Losi my guy would run all of the Molds he had.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

I wonder if Rich can assist with this one.

Chris K
Approved Member

Post by Chris K »

Guys, I honestly think that you need a bit of a reality check here...

And it's certainly NOT to poke at Horizon Hobby or the company they own - Team Losi; but you need to realize that what is our PASSION is their livelihood. Horizon is a HUGE corporation that was recently purchased by it's president and a group of investors. The culture at any large corporation is pretty much LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET OUT OF THE WAY! These folks make their living producing products which we use in our HOBBY. They 'live by the sword and die by the sword' with respect to the success of their products and projects which become products.....

Sadly, not all are driven by the same passion that many of us have for the hobby.... BUT, we must respect their culture and do the best we can to preserve the history and heritage with the passion that drives us. We love their products, we love the people that brought it to us initially and have wonderful memories of the evolution of the cars/trucks. And there are a few people driving these products with the same passion but never forget that the final decisions are economically driven.
Wherever you go; there you are!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

huminski wrote:I also asked if he was 'the guy' that painted the original box art bodies.

He said he is not the guy, but is the son of the guy. :)

Just more info on a cool thread.
For further clarification, it is his sons eBay account, but Mr Kyes project