RC10T2 Fun Truck

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Toaster
Approved Member

Re: RC10T2 Fun Truck

Post by Toaster »

Really like the onroad tires and paint job, if anything besides kudos I have to thank you as your progress reinvigorated me to drag the ‘winter beater’ budget build out and have another crack at it. Was in a similar boat, the build just didn’t...I don’t know, just wasn’t feeling it but now with an idea for onroad tires and swapping some bits out...I’m back lol

Long winded semi-hijack (sorry) looking great and keep it up!!
I come for the RC10's but stay for the Yokomo's :P

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Thanks Toaster, I couldn't put my finger on it either but I just wasn't feeling it at the time.

Took it out for its first run today and it ran pretty flawless. A grassy park wasn’t my first choice but it worked fine, except for when twigs would occasionally get stuck in a rim and sound like the old playing card in the spoke trick.

On the open road I realized it was a bit undergeared as I used the set up that I use for insane boost/turbo timing. I'll likely increase the pinion by 2 teeth and load the "stock" firmware instead of "mod" for more timing flexibility. The good thing with the program card is you can save 3 different profiles which you can easily switch between on the spot.

Crappy picture from the park..... semi slicks and grass don't go too well together, but made for some fun drifting action :lol:

20210501_153933-1024x576.jpg

Oh, and the battery seemed to last forever, it was only a 5000mah LiPo sport pack but it never seemed to end....
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Ran this again today with a bigger pinion and the "stock" software. The versatility of these Hobbywing combos is fantastic, I kept feeding in timing untill things were one step away from becoming a disaster..... I need to refrain from turning up the heat but I can't help myself :lol:

A friend was watching who hasn't really seen a quality RC car before and said wow thats fast, I said I can make it faster....... so I did.

He was smiling and couldn't believe how fast it was. I said I can make it faster...... so I did :lol:

It was borderline out of control on my gravel driveway by that stage with those onroad tires sliding side to side trying to grab traction the whole time.

Needless to say he was blown away and had a huge grin that couldn't have been wiped off his face..... there was still more I could have added but..... it is a "vintage" truck after all :shock:

Whooooo weeeeee, buckle up !!!! Remember, this is with an 8.5T mod motor and a healthy dose of turbo timing on top as well :lol:

20210509_180402-1024x576.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

My T2 is getting some upgrades!!

The blue motor and ESC were doing my head in so I decided to change it to look more period correct. This motor looks much more respectable and fitting. It is an 8.0T similar to the Hobbywing that I had in it before, hopefully it runs just as good.

20210918_001306.jpg

I also found an old black Hobbywing V2.1 to replace the blue one. Now I just need to copy and install the software/settings from the old ESC into this ESC.

20210918_013415.jpg

TeamMoo91

Post by TeamMoo91 »

How did it handle 50 degrees of timing? I run 30 on my Reedy and it's a missile lol!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

TeamMoo91 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:28 pm How did it handle 50 degrees of timing? I run 30 on my Reedy and it's a missile lol!
It was a handful :lol: That kind of power sorta defeats the purpose of a vintage car and could easily spell disaster, but regardless still ran flawlessly, didn't overheat, and I didn't crash it. I'll have to check how much Turbo timing was on top of that as well, lol. Not sure if it's still the same now but from memory the Hobbywing maxes out at 64* total timing.

That's one of the reasons I love the 6.5T - 8.5T range of motors with dynamic timing..... you basically get everything from mild to ballistic with one motor, you can dial in speed and power or dial it out as you wish with just the push of a button :D

TeamMoo91

Post by TeamMoo91 »

RC10th wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:57 pm
TeamMoo91 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:28 pm How did it handle 50 degrees of timing? I run 30 on my Reedy and it's a missile lol!
It was a handful :lol: That kind of power sorta defeats the purpose of a vintage car and could easily spell disaster, but regardless still ran flawlessly, didn't overheat, and I didn't crash it. I'll have to check how much Turbo timing was on top of that as well, lol. Not sure if it's still the same now but from memory the Hobbywing maxes out at 64* total timing.

That's one of the reasons I love the 6.5T - 8.5T range of motors with dynamic timing..... you basically get everything from mild to ballistic with one motor, you can dial in speed and power or dial it out as you wish with just the push of a button :D

Whooaaaa that's a lot of timing!! I've always been scared to add to much when racing my b6.2, t6.2, and b74.1. About 15 degrees is about all I've put through them apart from the b74.1 which sees 30.

How's the heat management on something like that with all that timing? I've seen as high as 200 degree motor temps on a 5 min heat.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

TeamMoo91 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:16 pm
RC10th wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:57 pm

Whooaaaa that's a lot of timing!! I've always been scared to add to much when racing my b6.2, t6.2, and b74.1. About 15 degrees is about all I've put through them apart from the b74.1 which sees 30.

How's the heat management on something like that with all that timing? I've seen as high as 200 degree motor temps on a 5 min heat.
I just checked the settings and Turbo was 40*. You couldn't run that much timing on a track, it's just too much to use. In my gravel driveway it actually didn't get too hot since you weren't using full throttle or pushing the motor too hard for very long, but when you started squeezing the trigger a bit harder things get pretty lively.

I've run crazy boost settings before on pavement in more open areas and yeah, heat does start to become an issue when you start pushing it, but no different to a race motor really.

Shane301
Approved Member

Post by Shane301 »

Great thread! I am working on a t2 actually making 1 from 2 as the first one I bought was a little too rough.

Yours turned out great and gave me some good ideas.

Is the motor you settled with a reedy 8t. I think that’s what I see?
Collecting all Vintage Associated Offroad and DS
Specific Tamiya
Losi Trucks

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Shane301 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:32 pm Great thread! I am working on a t2 actually making 1 from 2 as the first one I bought was a little too rough.

Yours turned out great and gave me some good ideas.

Is the motor you settled with a reedy 8t. I think that’s what I see?
Thanks,
I tried to keep it as "authentic" as I could so it's pretty much bone stock with the exception of Lunsford turnbuckles. I did however cut the cross bar out of the battery holder so the lipo sits flat on the chassis pad. Unfortunately square lipos don't fit so I had to buy a couple quality round packs. You could make square lipos fit with a 3D printed battery strap and by relocating the antenna mount.

Yes, the motor is an 8.0T, these motors seem to be getting harder to find now in the 6.5T - 8.5T range. I basically chose the Sonic M3 because it's easy to slap a sticker on it and look the part, which is surprisingly hard to find motors suitable.

20210326_215632-1024x576.jpg
20210326_215632-1024x576.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 953 times
20210326_215632-1024x576.jpg
20210326_215632-1024x576.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 953 times

Sexy :D

20210919_141709.jpg
20210918_013804.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

The T2 got a bit of a workout today and man was it fun, the size of the park was unreal. Traction was very low on the polished concrete and the truck was sliding around a lot, but everything flowed excellently. Please excuse the crappy "video capture" pictures as I couldn't drive and take pictures at the same time. You could get quite a bit of speed up, especially in the bowl or hooking off the banks. Battery life was amazing..... Unfortunately the park was filling up with kids so I couldn't really use other areas of the park, hopefully I'll go there again earlier tomorrow and be able to use more of the park.

Fun1.jpg
Fun2.jpg
Fun3.jpg
Fun4.jpg
Fun5.jpg