jrx-2 on-road conversion

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Re: jrx-2 on-road conversion

Post by UltraHIVE »

Yea, I realized it was backwards as I was assembling it, but I chose to keep it like that. It doesnt affect its functionality, looks cool either way.

*Edit - The carriers hit the posts on wide turns, DOLT! hehe... :? oh well, pics are taken allready. Easy fix for the buyer :)

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

Don't worry Hive, I'll spin the front end around as soon as it gets here. :) Can't wait!

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

Here's a update on the pan car I got from Hive. JR SC-1 esc, Futaba 3003 servo, built the steering linkages, JR XR2 radio and matching reciever. I picked up a new in package motor plate from ebay to replace the scratched one it came with, and will use the scratched one on a JRXT I have that needs a motor plate. Not sure what motor I'm going to put in it. Cells are 3300mah nimh's I soldered up this morning.

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

Couldn't resist, earlier today I put the scratched motor plate back on and bolted in a Trinity P2K2 I had laying around. Running a 27t pinion and 90T robinson spur. Ran her on the street this afternoon, shocks at maximum stiffness to protect the chassis. Lots of fun, ran through two packs (same pack charged twice lol). It's very quiet and handles very well. Bottom is still flawless I am happy to report. :)

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

its lookin good man, shoot some video if u can when u run it. i meant to tell u this also, since it has stock X2 front axle carriers, it will accept axles from an NXT and GTX i think as well, to widen the front, even out the front to rear difference. i have 2 different axles that I use on different JRX2s to widen them, 2 different lengths too. You can find them on Ebay in case u want to widen out the front 8)

wide...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOSI-XXT-FRONT-AXLES-GTX-A-1022-NIB-/290567241032?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a7283d48

wider...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-LOSI-XXT-FRONT-AXLES-A-1136-/200528385064?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb06c5428

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

nice! looks like it handles well. i should have kept a spare foam set for a runner. i need to get a tire truer and some foams. does it drift too?

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

She'll do donuts forever and whip around a corner somewhat, but if the rear is not spinning then it seems to push a bit through the turns under power. Remember, I just hacked together the steering so it needs to be tweaked, ackerman, etc.

Got a nice Camaro body from bearrickster, it's a custom works with a 9" wide front and about a 9.5" wide rear. Covers the front well with no issues with rubbing with the tires turned, and the rears stick out about 1/4" which I personally think looks pretty badass on this body. Need longer body posts, and need to decide what colors to paint it. I am thinking black with orange trim, similar to my X2 buggy.

Here she is, covered up.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Wow that does look good. I like it a lot, I should have kept it for mine :lol:
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

Too late!!!! Lol. Thank you again for all your help it is appreciated.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

its not a problem I think I am going to sell mine off anyway. I am getting away from onroad stuff. I only bought it for the Vornats and their not going to have that race anymore so I really dont need it.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I was just thinking about this car, and being too wide, along with reading some of the other 5-link threads recently.

I don't think there is much reason why you couldn't use tie rods on the bottom 2 inner links, and secure them with a long #4-40 screw/nut inboard and outboard instead of hinge pins, then make them shorter than the stock links to get the desired width. You would have to trim the sliders, both male and female, and check for interference between the side links and chassis, as well as the shock mount(maybe move the top mounts in the required amount), but overall, it would narrow up the car, plus leave you some adjustment for toe as well.

the z body looks good. i love that car. My Z is like a slot car or Kart that is street legal :mrgreen:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I see you're encountering the same issues I dealt with for the CYANide on-road conversion...rubbing fronts and rears that stick out a bit much. I will agree with you that rears that stick out a little bit *do* look good for American muscle-car bodies, as long as it's not too much. Very nice job so far, it's definitely quite a challenge to do a good job of a buggy-to-touring-car conversion.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

Got the body mounts sorted out with out spending a dime! :) Put the longer rear mounts up front, and used a JRX-T rear body mount (the T shaped thing that bolts to the top of the gearbox) with the shorter front posts mounted to it, for the rear. My wheel cutouts, for once, were PERFECT! Ran a battery pack through it to verify fit of the body. Front wheels are just inside the edge of the body, and nicely centered, and do not rub at all. Rears are again perfectly centered, and are 1/4" past the edge of the body. No rubbing there either. I have some videos but they are shot at sunset / twilight and apparently one thing Droid DOES NOT DO well is low light video. I'll throw them up on youtube anyway when I get a chance. But the car looks spectacular driving around with the body on it, even without paint. The front air dam on the Z28 body looks great just skimming over the pavement!

More to come.

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

OK so here's a short video of the first test run last weekend with the body on. Was just after / at sunset so with the low light the video is not that great like I said, but you get the idea. I'll try to get a better video eventually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmcYCWdYex4