LOSI "Multiple Builds". Builds finally started Dec 2009!

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

uzzi
Approved Member

Re: LOSI "Multiple Builds". Builds finally started Dec 2009!

Post by uzzi »

I remember building mine into the wee hours of the night as well and had it running in the dark. It was such an upgrade over my then Ultima....slotted in a Trinity Joel Johnson signature modified (17 turn I think) and the Novak Tempfet esc (remember those?)....rc cars appear so much faster at night :lol: :lol:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

RETRO R/C wrote: Derby Dan - My memory of the RPM arms is pretty vague - however I do beleive that the top of the shocks were meant to be mounted in front . A picture on your thread would make it alot easier to determine. Even though the angle of the shocks on the Proformance kit is not to extreme - I still dont like it!!
Hi Darryn,

The car in question is the Pro that was for sale in this thread;

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12917

I'll have to take some pics of the cars & the spares & start my own project thread :)
RETRO R/C wrote: "Stacked up" and ready to recieve wheels and finishing touches, when all the others are done that is!:

Thats one hot picture - two new built JRXs & a MIP 4wd RC10 just sneaking in for good measure 8)

Looking forward to seeing what you do about building the 'runners' - did you ever drive a 5 link car BITD? How did it compare to the H arm set-up??

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hi Derby,

Unfortunately I cannot view any pics via that link - and I dont speak Dutch!! :lol:

Thanks for the compliments on the "stack", I must admit to liking "random" photo's sometimes.

I did drive a 5 link back in the day - but only on the SWB car in any serious racing. I did try the 5 link once on a long Pro chassis - however the car was VERY understeery from memory. I am sure it is somethign that I would have been able to sort out - however the 5 link on a lwb chassis would only be needed in some VERY specific track conditions in my honest opinion.

The advantege for the 5 link was that it was generating enormous rear end grip. This was great on the short wheelbase car, as it allowed the car to be nimble whilst at the same time not be twitchy at all to drive. The H arm suspension really came into play when the long chassis came about. Because of the stability of the longer wheelbase, the 5 link was just to grippy and tended to "wallow or pitch" around the track.

I am going to build a 5 link pro runner - just because I want to experiment with the car. I really do love the Losi cars - they changed racing.

Thanks for the comments, keeps me inspired! Late night early morning building is fun - no distractions, and yes Uzzi - night time driving does feel alot faster!

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Cheers for the reply Darryn - great insight into the characteristics of the 5 link set-up, I never realised that it generated so much rear traction compared to a conventional H arm set-up :o

It would appear the thread on the Dutch site has been closed - but this is the car in question....

Its actually is great condition - probably only raced a few times - but as you can just make out in this pic, the rear shocks are leaning right back!

I also got a JRX2 in the sale which is converted to H arm (swb chassis) This car has had a much busier life, but i'm tempted to convert it back to 5-link &make it my runner?

Anyway - this is your thread, don't want to clog it up with my ramblings :oops:

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Thats a sweet looking ride mate.

DEFINATELY put the shocks in front at the top, thats not a good angle!! :)

Its not so much that the 5 link was massively more "grippy" - it was that it allowed the car to "roll aound" and move with the track and bumps. This kept the wheels on the ground - meaning more drive from the tires. With the long wheelbase and H arm set up, you got the best of both worlds. It would take hours to explain why - and it is 5 am here again!!!!

JRX2 is coming along nicely. Also put together some nice bits to do a modded swb as well. Update pics tomorrow night.

Need some sleep!

Cheers

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Ok, the Third new built has been started. This time it is an all original JRX2. Everything is from parts bags, all very early production parts.

I will let the pics do most of the talking this time. Suffice to say that I am still having a ball building these cars.

One interesting thing I came across is that the chassis that I have has not had the front 4 holes for the bulkhead countersunk! This is not uncommon for Losi - as I have had several turnbuckles with no thread and other parts poorly formed and or bent. They never really got that right at all - even to this day I hear fo new Losi parts cimning this way sometimes! :lol: I would like to think that my chassis is this way because it is realy early production - however it more than likely another Losi Quality control issue.

Anyways - here's the pics:

Just as a small comment/question to some of you, I have received an email or two having a bit of a go at me for running this thread - thinking that "Ï am all that" etc etc. I have received this sort of email/comment before on other boards, but wasnt expecting it here. Perhaps these people arent even member here, but it is still a little dissapointing to say the least. Please be assured that I am not doing this to "boast" about what I have, it is to share the passion for what I have. If I get oever enthusiastic or sound like a tool - PM me and I will change or try and word things differently.

Many thanks toall of you others who have appreciated/commented on the thread so far.

Cheers

Darryn

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Thanks for sharing those pics - you have me salivating all over my keyboard.... again :roll: :lol: I can almost sense that boyish excitement in those shots, with the various parts & tools strewn about, knowing you 'should' build carefully but you're all excited & can't wait to see it built :mrgreen:

Surprised/shocked you've had discouraging messages - its a real shame :? I for one am happy that you have this unique collection of cars & parts & willing to share them with us :)

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

RETRO R/C wrote:Just as a small comment/question to some of you, I have received an email or two having a bit of a go at me for running this thread - thinking that "Ï am all that" etc etc.
hello Darryn,

First of all, thank you for posting these builds. I can never do this becasue I don't have the patience to take pictures during the build / restoration process :lol:

Second, I like the build threads because there's always feedback form other members pertaining to the small details that not everyone knows. I thought I knew everything about the early losi cars until I saw Anthony's post on the different parts for the x2.

With that in mind, do you have the aluminum spacers between the out drive yoke and the bearing (coming out of the transmission)? Also, will you be using the original top gear/shaft and thrust bearing on this build. And don't forget the purple grease.

Regards,
Roger

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

RETRO R/C wrote:Just as a small comment/question to some of you, I have received an email or two having a bit of a go at me for running this thread - thinking that "Ï am all that" etc etc. I have received this sort of email/comment before on other boards, but wasnt expecting it here. Perhaps these people arent even member here, but it is still a little dissapointing to say the least. Please be assured that I am not doing this to "boast" about what I have, it is to share the passion for what I have. If I get oever enthusiastic or sound like a tool - PM me and I will change or try and word things differently.
are you friggin' serious? apparently, some people don't understand how things are on this forum. :roll:

i'd give them a big FU, and wish them a Merry Christmas. :wink:

blown5.0
Approved Member

Post by blown5.0 »

I cant believe people would complain about this thread.
I get butterflies like a little school girl seeing all the vintage goodies in your pics.
I say keep it coming! :D

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

highwayracer wrote: Also, will you be using the original thrust bearing on this build. And don't forget the purple grease.

Regards,
Roger
I stilll don't think I have seen an "original" thrust bearing. All the ones I have seen look the same to me. If anybody has any info on the difference between the thrust bearings, please share.

RedScampi  It’s my birthday!
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Wow, it really sucks when people let their jealousy rain on your parade. Personally I think you are the Losi GOD and would submit that you ARE "ALL THAT". :lol: This thread makes me drool...
Gary

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

aconsola wrote:I stilll don't think I have seen an "original" thrust bearing. All the ones I have seen look the same to me. If anybody has any info on the difference between the thrust bearings, please share.
hello Anthony,

The original thrust bearing looks very similar to the one used on the original stealth's slipper clutch (about the same size also). It's a one piece unit that has the tiny diff balls pressed into it. It almost looks like the part is stamped out of a very thin material.

In the early years, people would tighten the diff so much that it crushed the whole thrust bearing assembly. You also heard of guys "burning" diffs. This happened becasue people were running their diffs as loose as they can in order to get more traction. The concept of a slipper clutch didn't really exist, and people were adjusting their diffs instead.

Losi later fixed this by introducing the new thrust bearing, the ball bearing differential and a lighter diff lube. Prior to the diff lube, I use to mix the purple losi and the associated diff lube to get the right mixture.

I'll go through my parts bins to see if I can find an early thrust bearing.

Regards,
Roger

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Daryn, could it be that chassis was intended for a jrxT? I remember the bumper goes over the four holes and has countersunks in it. Not sure though: maybe the back of the bumper was formed to go on the countersunks of the chassis too?

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Daz your builds are coming along very nicely. I bet Mick will be blown away when he gets there with all that is going on at your place/work shop right now. You guys will be doing some major vintage 'male bonding' this weekend. LOL!

Personaly I like that you've now got a chance to get these Losi projects sorted out. I know its been a long time coming but Im sure it feels like xmas has come early for you this year already... :mrgreen:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980