Red Fox - Hot Trick Repro - RC Lohas

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Re: Red Fox - Hot Trick Repro - RC Lohas

Post by jwscab »

that's why this forum is awesome. besides the cool old rc cars, intelligent people can have a decent discussion.

carry on :mrgreen:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

mrlexan wrote:
scr8p wrote:scott, do you have problems with reproductions that are given the right to be made by the original manufacturer?
I am surprised that Scr8p hasn't brought up the 1:1 Car Restoration analogy yet. :mrgreen: Screw restoring those old Oldsmobile classics with repro parts. We should just let them rot in the back yard polluting Mother Earth. We are just a throw away society anyway, we don't need that old JRX2 anymore cause we can't find parts for it any more. I'll just toss it in the trash.
i was gettin' to it. :lol:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Jay, I don't think the 1:1 and the 1:10 restoration issues are quite the same. Of course Jason can speak to that much better than I can and he may well disagree. You're not "restoring" your Fox with a new Lohas "Not Trick" chassis. If anything you are taking a new chassis and putting an old transmission and suspension onto it.

I see the 1:10 repro parts thing as being a little closer to the 1:1 kit car thing. A more fitting 1:1 to 1:10 analogy for me would be: I see these Lohas Not Trick parts as something along the lines of this Fierrari. A car trying to be something that it is not. It is a fake. 8)
Attachments
2150466998_f344780260[1].jpg
2150466998_f344780260[1].jpg (168.47 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
2150466998_f344780260[1].jpg
2150466998_f344780260[1].jpg (168.47 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Now might be a good time to mention the fact that I never have been a fan of Hot Trick parts to begin with. Start reproducing parts I actually like and we'll really have a discussion. I do have to take my hat off to Lohas for their Tecnacraft-like wheels. They capture the feel of the classic wheels but are different enough that nobody would mistake one for the other. That's how reproduction parts should be made in my opinion.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I've read every post in this thread (trailing off on some :P) and all sides bring up some very valid points. It seems to me like a stalemate has been reached. There are enough pros and cons to this subject matter that it can conceivably just keep going round and round.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

a reproduction is an exact replica of the original. how much of that fierrari kit car would actually fit on a real ferrari? if any of it does, they're probably "real" ferrari parts. but yes, it is a fake. but hardly a reproduction.

it still to this day boggles my mind, that in your eyes, it's perfectly acceptable to reproduce bodies, decals, and tires. but if someone reproduces exact replicas of say...... fiberglass rc10 shock towers, that just wrong. anyone out there could pawn that stuff off as originals just like anything else.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yes, a reproduction is an exact replica of the original. I suppose none of that car would fit on a Ferrari frame. Reproduction, fake, bootleg, I think I've mentioned that I don't like any of them. The point I'm bringing up with the Feirrari is that it is trying to be something that it is not, just as a Lohas Not Trick chassis is not a Hot Trick chassis, but it is really trying hard to be one. It's trying harder than that Fierrari.

It boggles my mind that you were anti-Obama before it was cool. :lol:
You're right, anyone could pawn that stuff of as originals and there are probably some that do. I don't know how to explain my position any more than I already have. If I've failed to express my reasons clearly it is my own fault. I'm just gonna go back into hermit mode with my vintage original manufacturer cars and thank god that I don't really collect vintage r/c cars anymore because I have or had everything I ever wanted at this point.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Now RC cars really aren't worth squat, but the classic car market is a bit different. With my Shelby, should it ever get restored the same day I build my first RC10 :mrgreen: , I won't have much choice but to rebuild some stuff with reproduction parts. I am pissed off over reproduction parts, hell no! I am thankful that they are available, otherwise I would be sitting there with a great classic without a door.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

the thing with me, i deal with reproduction stuff every day. if it wasn't for all of those companies reproducing old car parts, i wouldn't be able to do what i do. there's alot of people out there that are willing to spend $75,000 building a classic car. but if it weren't for reproduction parts, and everyone had to go and find obsolete nos stuff, you could easily double that cost, and take away more than half of those people. not to mention, extending a build from a year to a decade or more.

it's accepted in the 1:1 world and has been for years. no one gets put down because they have a reproduction grill or bumpers on their car. it's common practice. and eventually, will become common practice in r/c too. it's enevitable. and as long as the maker states that the item is an exact "reproduction", i see nothing wrong with it.

i also understand your point about a reproduction being bought by someone, then down the road being past off as an original when being re-sold. but what do you do.......... beside not making reproduction parts? i guess if it's something that worries you, all you can do is buy new oem parts still in the package w/ the factory header card. it'll be the only way to cover your a$$.

to be honest, at this point in my "vintage r/c collecting", i really don't care if anyone makes exact reproduction parts. i just want to see people making quality parts, at a fair price, that will help keep our cars on the track.... for those that enjoy using them as much as building them. :)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

You guys make fair points. I suppose a difference I'd point out is that a r/c car has hundreds of parts and a 1:1 car has hundreds of thousands of parts. Making an exact replica of an obsolete r/c car chassis doesn't make sense to me, as the chassis is most of the car. There is no reason for making exact replicas of vintage chassis'. There is no reason they can't be changed in some small way. As for the "keeping the cars on the track" rationale, that I get. But again, you don't need an exact replica of a vintage part to do that. If the Red Fox was blue in color, it would still do the same thing. If it is so important to have such an accurate machine, then find the real thing. If running your car is your primary concern, find something that works well for what you need it to do. Not Trick parts probably aren't going to be the option you go with if that is your goal.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

mrlexan wrote:With my Shelby, should it ever get restored the same day I build my first RC10 :mrgreen:
Stop being serious for a moment... no comment about the above Scr8p?
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

mrlexan wrote:
mrlexan wrote:With my Shelby, should it ever get restored the same day I build my first RC10 :mrgreen:
Stop being serious for a moment... no comment about the above Scr8p?
what? i had to take a leak. :P :lol:

so what your saying is.... that mustang will never make the trip to PA. am i pickin' up what you're puttin' down? :wink: :mrgreen:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

MelvinsArmy wrote:As for the "keeping the cars on the track" rationale, that I get. But again, you don't need an exact replica of a vintage part to do that.
ya, i know. but hey, if someone wants too make exact repros, more power to them. :wink:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

scr8p wrote:
MelvinsArmy wrote:As for the "keeping the cars on the track" rationale, that I get. But again, you don't need an exact replica of a vintage part to do that.
ya, i know. but hey, if someone wants too make exact repros, more power to them. :wink:
Just as the sure as the sun will rise tomorrow morning: I respectfully disagree with this statement. :D

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

:lol: