RC10 runner/racer

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

seth556
Approved Member

Re: RC10 runner/racer

Post by seth556 »

Body and wing are on.

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

Got it on the track yesterday, finally. The only thing I've run on the track before is stadium truck, it's a big difference between the two. But damn, it's this and/or the buggy class in general that is a lot of fun to run. ST is so big and slow to react compared to buggy which is fast and nimble, love it. Didn't do well in my main against the couple other guys but I was very happy. I was only about 2 laps down from the leader and my fast lap was about a second and a half off, so not too bad at all (laps were usually 25-26 seconds for the top guys). I just need to spend a lot of practice time at the track with this car. I obviously don't have much knowledge running buggies but it seemed like it turned in really well but then had a hard time finishing the turn under speed. Although during the main a front shock splattered oil everywhere and I found out later I needed some washers to counter the bump-steer. So a little more practice and a little more setup and I'll be ready for most any race.

Also, does anyone know what degree caster blocks the CE cars originally comes with?

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

Been running the buggy for a while now, still haven't run it enough to figure the car out as to knowing the limitations and what it can and can't do, essentially controlling it by feel and not luck. But I'm coming along with it, just need to get it's lap times faster than my stadium truck.

With my vacation from school the last week I've gotten pretty bored and so I've done a little work. I cut the nose plate like the worlds plate, I never liked how the servo didn't sit flat on the chassis. For cosmetic purposes only I've countersunk the nose brace tube screw holes as well as the screw holes that are on the back of the chassis and motor plate, gives it a nice clean look.

Next up I need to switch out the esc and motor, this combo just doesn't have a nice throttle feel to it, it takes me almost half a qualifier or race before I adjust from my silky smooth SXX/Duo3 combo in my truck to this.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

The spring combo and shock mounting locations you have chosen are an inherently unstable combo front to rear. On the front, keep the green springs, run the upper middle shock tower hole and the inner hole on the arms. In the rear change to blue springs. Run the inner hole on the shock tower and the next to outer holes on the arms. Your front and rear suspension frequencies will now be balanced. I don't know what your track is like but whatever oil you run, run 10W to 20W higher in front than rear. Make sure the car sits with arms level at rest. As for the upper links, run the upper outer holes in front and the inner holes in the rear.

This is a very nice handling setup and you can adjust the rest with tires and shock oil. If you get too much oversteer, go back to the inner holes on the front upper links. In fact just start with them there and if it understeers too much, then go to the other setup. If you are running 25-30 degree caster blocks up front, you're good to go.

Try this setup out to see what you think. It should at least get you in the ballpark.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

I've only run this car once in the past few months due to my local track closing and most of my efforts going to my short course truck. But after some thinking and Ruffy talking about bringing his RC10s back to the track I decided to get it back up and going.

I put my 13.5 in it and rebuilt the diff. Should have plenty-o-power. The only big change was up front with the steering servo, I got the low profile Savox servo which allowed me to move the mounting location farther over and have the link to the bellcranks at the same angle when turning. Before I would turn left and the link would go from an angle of 20 degrees to straight of the chassis to straight with the chassis. Now it always within a few degrees of straight.

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

Did a few more small changes and now it's all ready to go this weekend. Should be a good time at the track, and Ruffy should be out racing his RC10s again.

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Nice build! Can't wait to hear the race report.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Nice little racer!

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

littleVETTE wrote:
JHarris wrote:Put external limiters (or fuel tubing) on the rears so it doesn't compress fully and push the bones into the outdrives. You will save yourself a ton of headaches doing it that way.
fuel tubing, after a while of pounding on them, could collapse and cause the your bones to come out of the tranny drives. 1 or 2 o rings are the way to go, and putting some limiters on the shock shaft inside the body will remedy it too. or if you don't want to deal with all that you could just get a smaller shaft. i learned this the hard way a couple of times.
I agree, nitro fuel line tends to compress and split. 1:1 scale fuel or water line works well.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Seth,

Almost forgot... nice buggy. I look forward to meeting you and Ruffy at the Asylum before too long. I've been having a blast with an old friend, pan cars and a big parking lot. We run about every two weeks. I finally got around to running brushless in the pan cars and hope to have a setup for the buggy too.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

The Asylum closed a few months ago.

Yes, fuel tubing will break down over time. Not taking a stab at anyone here, but my vehicles are maintained in such a way that something like that would never be an issue. If it's even dirty it gets changed. If you want to leave something like that in place for a year and treat the car like a basher, it will give you problems.

Seth, I'll be racing at OCR Sunday. Bring your RC10 and let's check it out. I think I may have talked Ruffy into joining me as well.

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

Ruffy said you guys were going to the race. I ran SCK Saturday and didn't really want to run two races in one weekend. How was OCR, I ran there a few weeks ago for the club race? There wasn't many buggies and I finished 2nd out of 4 but it was mostly just friendly racing, SC mod was the exciting class. Is the track still holding up?

Let me know when you guys are going racing again and I'll try to make it.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

You missed a pretty good day. We only had 7 buggies but it was cool nonetheless. They ran 7 minute qualifiers and an 8 minute main. The track wasn't too bad considering they had nitro cars tearing it up the day before. I'm not sure what Ruffy has in mind for his race calendar, but it probably includes the Supercup race at Newred on the 29th. Maybe I'll hit OCR this weekend for some more testing.

One of these days I might actually put my RC10 back together and bring it out. After the Spring Fling I took the radio gear out of it and put it on the shelf. I've been considering building another one lately too. I just need to find a powder coater since this one would be a little different.

If we go out this weekend I'll let you know. You could bring the RC10 out and we can help get you all squared away with it. I can promise you that if Ruffy and I help you the end result will be much better than any setup you might read in a forum :)

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

That sounds like a pretty good day. I really wanted to go to the Super Cup race but it's the same day I have a big family event so that's not going to work out, although I should be at the Daytona SuperCup race.

I'm sure you're pretty busy working on those new buggies these days. And I know how powerful Ruffy's setup tricks can be, I remember one time I was at the Asylum and the buggy was handling very badly so I gave it to Ruffy to run a lap, he changed a little bit on the shocks and it was suddenly perfect. It was sure was some sorcery he did. I need you guys to help me get all my cars setup!

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Bring her out Seth, we can help you get her dialed in pretty quickly!

I had a great time racing Sat and then Sun this past weekend, and that's a lot for an old fart like me (2nd day on Sunday, I was having my normal day-after migraines!)
Thanks to Jeff's migraine meds I made it thru the day with smaller pounding headaches that lasted well into the evening Sunday night.

Read the report I posted in the Off-Topic thread for those wishing me a happy birthday HERE!
Thank-you RC10Talk!