RC10 runner/racer

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

seth556
Approved Member

RC10 runner/racer

Post by seth556 »

Last night I was looking on rctech about a new semilocal track and that lead to looking at another thread about a vintage rc10 turned into a modern racer. Then I found this site and never made it to all the work I had to get done, so thanks for taking all my time.

But what this thread is really about is my brothers old RC10 that's still in the closet at home. It has the standard gold chassis (I guess it's called the a-stamp?) with the stealth transmission. I'll pick it up later when I swing by there for my mom's birthday.

I want to make a light runner that's made more for the track but that still retains a lot of the original parts. I'm not going to go completely all out update everything because I don't have the money for that, still have to pay for college.

Right now my plan goes:

Steering: The b2 bellcranks with the rc10gt servo saver arm, connected to b4 inline steering blocks in their respective 25 degree caster blocks.

Front Suspension: I think I'm going to stick with the stock front arms and shocks for now and hopefully use the "atlas" shock tower and possibly upgrade the shocks when I have money.

Rear Everything: I'm not sure here, I think if I use the Klein arms and a b4 hub I can run B44 cvd's without problem, is this true? Then again the "atlas" shock tower paired with the B4 wing mounts. Stock stealth transmission without any changes.

JK Racing

Re: RC10 runner/racer

Post by JK Racing »

There are several different builds going on that update the gold pan to use modern wheels/tires, with minimal change.

My personal build...
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17552

Eau Rouge's build...
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17844

Ruffy had a gold pan he is using to race against modern cars also here...
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15630
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

I've been looking at your build, I like the black a lot. Very clean look. I read somewhere in there that if I use b3 cvd's with the RPM arms and carriers and no mods? But then wouldn't I have to use b3 wheels, so could I use the b3 cvd's with b4 axles so I can use b4 wheels?

I think I want to go towards something like Eau Rogue's build, racer with a lot of the older parts but still modern.

And I think Ruffy races at the same track I'm going to be taking this car to, should be a few vintage racers there.

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

Got some pictures

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Looks like a fantastic start. If you use the B3 axles, then you will need to use the B2/B3 rear wheels (and bearings). The new Thunder Tiger car also uses the same rear wheel, so if you like white dish wheels, your in luck, they are available. You can use B4 front wheels (some have recommended the GT wide front axles, but I dont have them and mine fit fine). I would personally recommend getting rid of the z-bend wire for the steering and use a couple ball studs/cups.

If you want to use B4 rear wheels, you will have to do the changes that I and others have done, just swapping in the B4 axles isnt enough, the B4 wheel is a deep offset (flat face dish) where the B2/B3 wheels are a shallow offset (deep angled dish).

I really like the way Eau Rouge did his rear end set up, just open up the B4 hinge pin holes (on the stock rear carriers) and use the B44 rear CVDs. Then B4 wheels on the rear...very easy set up.

My next build will probably be the same way, easy greasy...
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

So people are modding the b4 rear hubs to just push the rear width out? B4 carriers with B44 cvd's sounds great, I really want to use B4 wheels because of availability and I really love the look of Rulux wheels.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

That is what Eau Rouge's car has. I've got my eyes on the Rulux also. I have a set of rear waiting for tires, wont be long :twisted:
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Ruffy and I will be at the asylum Sunday running our RC10's. Come by and check out the different setups. Ruffy's is completely stock. My "new" runner is all stock except wide GT axles in the front and I will have a couple there with the B4 rear carrier mods so you will have plenty to see.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

seth not really to push the width out, since the wheels/tires still have to be out at the same width (width established by ROAR Rules), everyone is basically working the dimensions that will work from the outermost legal width dimension inwards, and changing parts as they need so that they can run the B4 wheels that are plentiful. :wink:

Or you could do like Jeff who has found that his stock RC10 works awesome, and use the ThunderTiger rear wheels with stock RC10 tapered universals. Jeff's car was on fire last Sunday during tests, as we watched it do lap after perfect lap, jumps and acceleration all without any "mods" except on the front axles as he mentiones, so he can use the surplus of front wheels/tires he has mounted from his B4, but the width is identical to my all stock RC10 gold racer. His car will be one to watch this weekend, as it was amazing, and he drove it perfectly.
:D

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Ruffy wrote: Jeff who has found that his stock RC10 works awesome, and use the ThunderTiger rear wheels with stock RC10 tapered universals.
The direction on my next build may have just changed...the TT wheels take the tapered axle? Fantastic news.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

Hmm, so wide front gt axles on the front. Then on the rear do the b44 cvd and b4 hubs. Then b4 wheels all around. The stock steering is good enough?

And of course upgrade the turnbuckles, which I found I have a few lunsfords sitting around and they all seem to be the exact sizes I need, lucky me.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Ball bearing steering is better and more durable and precise IMO. Other than that the rest of the buggy is pretty much good to go. Also Atlas's front and rear towers are way more durable than the stock units, and the front tower will accept the .89 threaded B4 shocks for adjustment.

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

That's what I was thinking. I want to do the b2 servo setup (not sure what everyone calls it on here) but I need part number 7306, I can't find anyone that seems to have it in stock.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The B2 servo saver parts are in the 9000 PN's, the GT/DS/T2 servo saver/bell cranks are in the 7000 PN's but not the one you listed- do you have a pic of what you are looking for?

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

It's the screw set for the bellcranks, officially the "nose plate screw set."