Alloy Build (FINISHED) also, undecided on name.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Re: Alloy Build (test fit)

Post by Y'ernat Al »

DMAT wrote:-thinking of finding a small piece of aluminum tubing to act as a fake antenna tubing.
Have a look at bicycle cable housings too. There may be a shiny blingy product around. If I remember right there is. You'd just want the 4mm (shifter) as opposed to 5mm (brake) I'd think. or you could strip off the vinyl and polish the core of one up?

Nice work. 8) Eventually, you may be able to use these:

http://www.customdynamics.com/Images/1659_CTW100_Chromezipties.jpg

Yep. Edit - Looks like BBB Shiftline makes a chrome shift cable housing. Just need to find a place that sells it by the foot...

http://www.cyclesdirect.net/bbb-shiftline-cable-set-shimano-chrome-for-bike.html
- Brian -

My Gallery

Optiman

Post by Optiman »

Wow Dustyn..... I finally got to get a look at your master piece.... I can only say wow!
That has to be the sickest RC10, super nice work! Thumbs up!
Driving that would be impossible, the sunlight reflecting out from it would just blind everyone around.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

Update:

Servo came in, Turnigy MG959 alloy cased servo. ~$37 including shipping from hobbyking. I'm not sure what to think about them, their shipping quoted 7-14 days but the email they send with a tracking number says up to 45 days. either way it turned out OK. I tested it in another car and everything is running good. There is one problem though. The servo horn clashes with the BCD roll cage. I'll need to get a smaller one. The servo also wont fully disassembly so I doubt I'll be able to deanodize and polish it up much. I must have been missing something as I cant find a way to even access the gears inside.

I went by my LHS and picked up a robinson racing 15t, 17t, and 18t pinion gears and a gt idler. I also lucked out and they had aluminum tubing and I grabbed some 27G aluminum sheets while I was there. I'm just gonna drop the idea of a body on the car and make smaller metal panels for the car in place of it.

Right now my tranny and motor are pulled out of the car so Its easier to work on. Myfordcnc pointed me to an alloy spur gear so I'll be doing that but ill need to pickup a set of b4 slipper hubs now. My motor shaft still hits the gear cover so I have to figure that out still. I might get the alloy VTS conversion and drop the gear cover if i cant figure out the motor.

My lighting kit came in. I ordered 2 kits that came with the housings I wanted and another kit for the led's. The housing kits came with blue led's but the plug on them looked like those that are on my batteries for balancing them. What do those plug into or what plugs into it b/c im clueless on that.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

When I ran a traxxas motor, I had to cut the shaft. Every car I tried it in (other than a Slash) it was too long.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

JK Racing wrote:When I ran a traxxas motor, I had to cut the shaft. Every car I tried it in (other than a Slash) it was too long.
did the heat from cutting cause any damage to the rest of the rotor?

Optiman

Post by Optiman »

A 4 1/2" dia. or 4" x 1/16" thick metal cutting disk cuts so fast I doubt it will cause any heat damage.
Just watch your fingers, no loose hair or clothing and never buy a switched grinder, always use paddle operated ones.

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

DMAT wrote:
integra22t wrote:what about some Aluminum Foil Tape and cover the speed control in it .. after it would polish up just like eveything else
Initial reaction: That exists? i've only seen that fake chrome sticker stuff. This stuff doesnt polish up.
After some research: Might have to buy a roll. No clue if you can polish it though.
if you can find this its thicker than the foil tape at home depo ect

http://3m.hillas.com/c-3095315-3m-scotch-auto-body-repair-tape.aspx

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I used a regular dremel with a cutoff wheel. I did 2 different motors, no issues with either one. The little piece cut off was hot, but after a few seconds, I could hold the motor shaft. No heat issues.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Optiman

Post by Optiman »

Dustyn,
Whatever you use, use safety glasses, a vise and if handy a shaft collar or something so the cutting disk wont' walk off the cutting line. That could happen and ruin your shaft in a second.
A Dremel is an excellent tool, but use a face shield, those small cutting disks sometimes fragmentate like small grenades.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

Update:

My servo polished to what I could. The front and end pieces of the case were polishable but the middle sleeve and the gear holder had parts epoxied to them so I didnt remove.

Some pictures of the metal paneling im trying to make. For now I'm only doing the sides but I'll probably continue and try to add a panel at the front and around the transmission.

And last but not least, The finished Tranny assembly. The transmission is put together with all metal gears and lubed up. Its still pretty noisy but seems to run well. I cranked my 3S lipo battery at full rpm through it for a few mins and no signs or sounds of wear.

Some bad news, my receiver case that I ordered was so large that It could probably house my velineon esc. It wont fit in the car, Gonna find something else.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

Creating some body panels for the car. I used some cabinet L shaped brackets to hold the panels against the side. Dont want to drill new holes in the pan lol

ClemsonRC10

Post by ClemsonRC10 »

Wow!!!! :shock:

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

8) 8)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Just had a look through this build thread and gotta say your attention-to-detail is outstanding. To stick to your polished aluminum theme for every conceivable part you've added is fastidious and obsessive...all in a good way, though. I probably wouldn't anodize it except for perhaps clear ano, but if you did, it would look fantastic too. The glossiness of anodized parts depends on the base level of polish, so if you anodized that some color, it should retain all of that polished look. Anodizing only looks matte, satiny or dull when people don't bother to polish up the parts before anodizing. But it's so unique just like it is now, I'd probably keep it that way.

When you finish this car, you'll have done yourself proud, and built something unlike any other car on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter.

A car this unique deserves a good descriptive name...what are you going to call it? I'm kind of at a loss for names relating to the car name; "RC10" just doesn't lend itself to any good plays-on-words...I like "Shimmer" though. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Work of art. I would cover all wire's with a SS braided cover of some type. Fantastic job!