Took it out for a spin

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aconsola
Approved Member

Took it out for a spin

Post by aconsola »

Well, after seeing all the interest in on-road cars lately, I couldn't help myself. I got the RC-300 out and fired it up. For a 25-ish year old motor, it was pretty easy to start on the bump-box. I played with the needles quite a bit and got it to run decently from bottom to top end, the only problem was getting it to hold an idle. It really likes to roll at neutral, if I lower the idle speed enough for it to not roll, it dies whenever you try to stop the car while driving. otherwise it was a fun run. I drove it with all the original electonics, who needs "idle up" on a new-fangled remote when the engine can rev itself as soon as you touch anything metal on the car :lol: . Putting the glow ignitor on(or taking it off) made the servos go nuts every time. Makes me really appreciate the rock solid signal of the 2.4ghz stuff.

I may look into retrofitting some MIP clutch shoes which have the retention spring to keep the clutch from engaging at idle, that would probably make running much less of a hastle.

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: Took it out for a spin

Post by aconsola »

So after looking the car over last night, I found 2 problems. First, when applying the brakes, the disc would touch the face of they flywheel, which explains part of the problem with idling. Second, I found a piece of coiled metal shaving inside the carb sprayer bar, which was likely limitingfuel flow and contributing to irregular idle.
I fixed both issues, buttoned it back up and had it out for a test this am.
Insane power, steady idle, and never got over 205degrees head temp. Blowing lots of white smoke, it could easily be leaned out further, but I can't keep it straight as it is!

One note of irony: I swapped out the glitch-o-rama am radio with a spektrum rx and my 3pkS . It turns out that the cars onboard switch is bad and causes intermittant connections over bumps. Didn't notice with the am radio, but the spektrum locks out for up to 3 seconds when power is cycled, so I wound up losing control into a parked car's tire and cracking the front body mount plate. :roll:
Time to find some white kydex sheet.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

I will be able to get a limited supply of double sided smooth white kydex. Part of my fall into a 1/8th scale supply of everything. I think it will be 1' x 1' pieces or dependent on size needed. Not at my house just yet but I will let you know when it is.

This is all very interesting!

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

That would be awesome!
I tried to get the double smooth white stuff a while back and it was special order only, 8 4'x8' sheets min order. :shock:

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

This is old stock from a closed hobby shop so it is ... old but good. So glad to hear you fired up the 300 that is an awesome car and you did an excellant restoration on it. I watched the post when you did it and just knew I had to get something 1/8th someday now I've got a great RC250 almost 300BD as I picked up the #2851 ball diff kit and just purchased the LH & RH wheels and tires for this type rear end. Oh and a double disk rear brake kit. So after all it may end up an upgraded car as I said I would'nt do, just didn't realize the parts would be available.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

I will be able to get a limited supply of double sided smooth white kydex
Well I might need a piece too - if possible, and if it is impossible to find AE front bumpers.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Sorry Brian, You'll have to cut the bumpers out of the new kydex, but I can provide a tracing to use.