can you build a psuedo MIP 4wd buggy kit using stock parts?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

can you build a psuedo MIP 4wd buggy kit using stock parts?

Post by jwscab »

you know, I've been thinking about this kit, and what you need to convert an rc10 in this day and age, with all of the newer and more common buggys/touring cars out there.

seems you can get some simple stuff made and make it all happen for alot less money than trying to score a vintage kit. If you start with a stealth trans car, and utilize another whole stealth ball diff, and spindles and uprights from a b44, and juggle a set of cvd's around with arm length, etc, the only 'custom' part needed would be the 2 upper gear driven shafts, and the trans case. I bet you could take a stealth case, and cut off the top gear part, and you'd get really close to having what you needed. In a newer buggy (B2/B3), I bet it would be even easier to mount the trans case due to the mounting ears.

so basically the parts list would be;
a whole stealth trans(or pieces, obviously)
an mxl belt
2 pulleys
some b44 parts
some idler pulleys and brackets from some type of existing 4wd buggy
custom upper shafts locked to the idler gear and you are in. you could even run a one way bearing on the front pulley.

granted, finding the stealth cases is difficult now, but....there has to be more of them around vs finding the original MIP stuff.

I'm hoping this is what MIP is planning, something that is truly cost effective, rather than machining all new parts.

If all they need to make is a few simple shafts and a diff case, I'm thinking the cost could be very favorable, even with a cnc machined case, material, and cnc costs would still be low I would think.

dont' think I'm dissing MIP in any way, their stuff has always been awesome, I just love to find cheaper ways to do things, since it's part of my job, I've been trained to look at things this way. I'm also lazy, which is truly the mother of invention.

shodog
Approved Member

Re: can you build a psuedo MIP 4wd buggy kit using stock parts?

Post by shodog »

Why not just buy a b44 in the first place. The MIP kit was made in a time when 4wd cars were not as common as they are now. Buy the time of the last generation legend kit was realeased, it was obsolete as purpose built 4wd buggies eclipsed its performance.

jwscab

Re: can you build a psuedo MIP 4wd buggy kit using stock parts?

Post by jwscab »

yeah, i absolutely agree that picking up a whole buggy is more cost effective. Just thinking out loud about the desire for a 4wd kit, with the possibility of MIP bringing something back. Just thinking that you could effectively duplicate the effort now using off the shelf parts for a reasonable cost.