New Radio for an old car?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dreambmx
Approved Member

New Radio for an old car?

Post by dreambmx »

Forgive me if this has been addressed here already. I am interested in getting a new radio for my RC300. What are the popular radios out now that I can play with and maybe even race with again. I'm looking for something safe and reliable.

Thanks, Mike

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Re: New Radio for an old car?

Post by Bongo Fury »

Safe & reliable these days generally means a 2.4GHz system. They are a 2 way system, the receiver knows if it’s in contact with the transmitter, goes into pre set ‘failsafe’ condition if it loses signal, great for preventing runaways. Short antennas too which is nice. No frequencies or crystals to worry about, it's all automatic.

Pioneered by Spektrum, somewhat aligned with JR I believe, and Losi. But the traditional guys like Futaba & Airtronics have similar deals now too. Note the different brands are not compatible as far as I know.

Lots of choices, how fast do you want to spend, how many features do you need? You can get the very basic Losi version of the Spektrum for around $100 I believe. We race with the Spektrum DX3R, which has about all of the bells and whistles, and is very responsive, they are around 300 or so. In between there is the Losi version that at least has endpoint adjustments (very desirable IMO), and other Spektrum models. The DX3S is an interesting new model, has some built in telemetry capability, can display engine temperature or battery voltage on screen for example. Perhaps take a look at spektrumrc.com.

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

There are many brands of 2.4Ghz systems available these days with all of them being safe and reliable. Tower Hobbies has one for less than $100 here http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towj0224.html

Futaba has some really nice 2.4Ghz systems too, check them here: http://2.4gigahertz.com/

2.4Ghz technology wasn't "pioneered" by Spektrum rather they engineered to their application. Every manufacturer of 2.4Ghz systems has "engineered" it for their own applications hence the reason for none of them being compatible with each other. The company that pioneered it for RC use is Nomadio.

Hope this helps.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Yeah, I could have worded that better. Overall 2.4GHz technology is quite old relatively speaking, and Nomadio certainly deserves credit for RC applications. I was thinking from more of a practical matter, part of the question was what is popular, as Spektrum seems to be more active and available these days, with more options.

Somewhat similar to brushless motors in RC, which in general is ancient motor technology. Known more generically as AC drive outside of RC. Lithium batteries are another example of 'new tech' in RC that isn't as modern as it might appear, most reading this probably have had one for quite a while now, in their cell phone or laptop.

Cheers.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

dreambmx wrote:Forgive me if this has been addressed here already. I am interested in getting a new radio for my RC300. What are the popular radios out now that I can play with and maybe even race with again. I'm looking for something safe and reliable.

Thanks, Mike
I would have to agree that the Tower model is the way to go unless you're looking to impress a girl. It's ugly as sin, but a sweet gal; and a helluva good cook. :wink:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

I really like my DX3S, it comes with 2 recievers. It's not the top dog radio, but it gets the job done quite well, it cost me $230 after the discount at Amain a few months ago. It comes with a bunch of telemetry sensors to monitor temp and rpm but I don't use them. I might hook up the temp for my brushless rc10 though.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

dreambmx
Approved Member

Post by dreambmx »

Thanks guys. Can I use my old servos with the 2.4 system? I have a couple of old Futaba High Torque servos in my car now.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

servos should be fine. The most you may have to do is use a knife to trim the rib on the side of the connector.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Doesn't it depend on how old the Futaba servos are? As long as they are 'J' connectors then Anthony is spot on. But wouldn't the older 'G' style require more involved connector rework?

Remember that some of the other brands used different wiring orders in the day too.

dreambmx
Approved Member

Post by dreambmx »

I was talking with the local R/C shop guy last week. He said that although the 2.4 radios are popular, Pro's are running traditional radios. He said it was due to them being quicker in response. Have any of you heard of this?

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

Sounds like your shop guy is blowing smoke. 2.4 Ghz technology is inherently faster than traditional AM or FM radio's. They have a higher resolution, two-way communication, and virtually no glitching so all-in-all the new tech is better :D.

Jacobey
Approved Member

Post by Jacobey »

I don't have Spektrum but about everyone else does at the track and they all love it. A friend of ours has a Spektrum DX2.0 and has had real good luck with it. It's nothing fancy, a bottom of the line Spektrum but everyone I know who has them likes them. They aren't too much either, $129 with one receiver and no servos. Enough if you only have one car and are only going to race ocasionally.

Daddeo - have you had any experience with the Tower Hobbies system, its cheap enough, is it any good?
RC10 | T4 | TC3 | RC18T | Legend | Bolink All Star Sprinter | CW Enforcer | WCM 1/4 Sportsman

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

I don't own one but got a chance to handle one about three weeks ago. The feel is about the same as the old Futaba Magnum series radio's and it worked flawlessly. I would say it's a good buy for the money.

Jacobey
Approved Member

Post by Jacobey »

Really good buy if you don't need anything fancy.

Only $22 a receiver vs. at least $50 for others!
RC10 | T4 | TC3 | RC18T | Legend | Bolink All Star Sprinter | CW Enforcer | WCM 1/4 Sportsman

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

The Pro – 2.4GHz thing has changed rapidly. Perhaps 1~2 years ago the Pros were mostly running traditional, but now most use 2.4. Partly because the 2.4 stuff has improved in responsiveness, early systems were too slow. Partly because more brands are available. But I think it was mostly a familiarity, several told me when I asked “it works, I’m used to it, why change?” As new versions of old favs have come out most have joined in.

Radios are personal, something these guys don’t change easily…....one of our local worlds qualifier pros was using a Spektrum module on his old radio, but for a long time still pulled out the traditional long antenna. Old habits die hard!