Sensored brushless with sensorless esc?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Sensored brushless with sensorless esc?

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I've read a lot on this and there are a lot of different stories. Now that this stuff has been out a while I wanna see if anyone has a better point of view. I have a Castle Sidewinder and two Mamba Maxs all with Castle 5700kv motors. They are way over the top and I'm tired of it. I love the brushless stuff, but want to run a tamer motor. I have brushed motors that will run great and I love them, but with the time I have I want something plug and go. I'd rather dream of vintage r/c than spend time cleaning armatures. Can you run, say a 13.5 sensored brushless motor with a Castle esc? Or, is there a good, cheap brushless motor that will work? I'm just getting back into the net after a very busy summer at work so sorry if this a stupid question that everyone knows the answer to. Most of what happened in r/c over the last 3 months I probably missed. Do RC10s still come with a gold chassis??? :?
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Grumbles
Approved Member

Re: Sensored brushless with sensorless esc?

Post by Grumbles »

Some people have reported a cogging effect (sort of like teeth missing on a spur then catching) when running another brushless motor sensored or sensorless with a Mamba ESC. This happens on take off then smooths out as you gain speed. It's hit and miss since it doesn't happen all the time, but it's annoying when it does. Your best option might be a 4600 since it'll work best with your ESC's.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I agree the Castle 4600 works well with them, but trust me, it's far from the tameness I'm looking for. The 4600 is off the hook with Lipo. On a slightly related note my cousins and I put a 4600 and a 3s Lipo in a Frog one time. You have to modify the Frog to fit it. Basically make it so the 3s drags along the ground(on grass only :wink: ) It was like running a boat! It skipped along the grass at about 50-60mph basically only skimming it. The sort of bead-lock style rear rims work great though. I was thinking more along the lines of this. If you scroll down the page you can see the Feigao 540 brushless motors. from what I've read they have big balls and offer a little more versatility in power.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=42
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

The Traxxas VXL motor is another option, only 3500 Kv.

Sensorless sets up seem to have tons of top end, I have a 4600 and I can easily keep up with 6.5's & 5.5's on the track. Tons of torque also, I have it in my LXT right now, geared 21/81 with the 2.19 buggy tranny. Last weekend at the track, I could pull wheelies off every corner and even at 1/2 throttle down the straight I was blowing past most everything on the track.

I couldnt imagine using a 5700, 7700 or their new 9000...
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

That VXL is a good thought. I hadn't considered that. I can believe that about that 4600kv pulling wheelies on demand. I haven't even attempted the 5700s with 3s yet. I'd need to come to work where we have a huge parking lot. I've tried the 5700 with 2s 6000mah Maxamps on my road(which is fairly long and smooth). You can't even get close to full speed with any kind of control. If you gear down it just flips, even with a wheelie bar. I think something comparable to about a 2200kv would be nice. By the way, I think it was Confucius who said
"Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day."
Ken

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Use a 2s and a 4600 then with the castle software tone down the power levels until you can control it.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS