Let's see your worst paint jobs!!!

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Let's see your worst paint jobs!!!

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

There are some awesome bodies in here and I am totally jealous of all of them. :mrgreen: But what about the worst paint jobs you've done or even seen. Maybe we can have a little shop of horrors. Below is what happens when you're in a hurry and don't have a LHS(we do now). Some crazy old man tells me that Rust-Oleum works well. All I wanted was a simple black and white paint job so I figure what the hell? I spend half an hour doing a beautiful tape job and of course start with black. Even trying to do a thin coat it just came out too heavy and killed my tape. Maybe with smaller cans and less "flow" it would've worked. All black and boring. :evil: I love black parts, but not solid black bodies. Anyone else have an ugly?
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

SmallScaleSmitty
Approved Member

Re: Let's see your worst paint jobs!!!

Post by SmallScaleSmitty »

The only other body I painted myself. My RC10T Team Truck years ago. Almost the same situation except I used Pactra paint. My down fall was the lack of prep, proper finishing and impatience. I didn't bother to wash or scuff the inside of the body so the finished product cracked and chipped very easily. I painted in too few, too heavy coats which of course bled into my silver roll bars. And yea, plain black paintjob. The window masks turned out ok though. But hey, it was a basher, soooo... :wink:

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i have a huge box ill take some pictures of later, mostly bodies i pulled off old 80's runners lol

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:There are some awesome bodies in here and I am totally jealous of all of them. :mrgreen: But what about the worst paint jobs you've done or even seen. Maybe we can have a little shop of horrors. Below is what happens when you're in a hurry and don't have a LHS(we do now). Some crazy old man tells me that Rust-Oleum works well. All I wanted was a simple black and white paint job so I figure what the hell? I spend half an hour doing a beautiful tape job and of course start with black. Even trying to do a thin coat it just came out too heavy and killed my tape. Maybe with smaller cans and less "flow" it would've worked. All black and boring. :evil: I love black parts, but not solid black bodies. Anyone else have an ugly?
That doesn't look bad, it's just too bad you can't get any big tires for a GT, a little more rubber would really set it off! lol...

What gearing do you run with those bad boys?

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:There are some awesome bodies in here and I am totally jealous of all of them. :mrgreen: But what about the worst paint jobs you've done or even seen. Maybe we can have a little shop of horrors. Below is what happens when you're in a hurry and don't have a LHS(we do now). Some crazy old man tells me that Rust-Oleum works well. All I wanted was a simple black and white paint job so I figure what the hell? I spend half an hour doing a beautiful tape job and of course start with black. Even trying to do a thin coat it just came out too heavy and killed my tape. Maybe with smaller cans and less "flow" it would've worked. All black and boring. :evil: I love black parts, but not solid black bodies. Anyone else have an ugly?
That doesn't look bad, it's just too bad you can't get any big tires for a GT, a little more rubber would really set it off! lol...

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

justinspeed79 wrote:

Does it float?

heeheehee!
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

:lol: The tires are a bit much, but I needed tires that would bring a Mamba Max 5700 and 3s down to a controllable level of power. Trust me, they were a necessity! I'll have to check my gearing, I can't remember right off. I have another thread about the truck, but after further testing I geared it even lower than that thread states. Let's see those ugly bodies!! :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

1993 Trinity Evo body, the worst part was the 3 hours it took to hand paint all those little "things"

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

I don't know if this counts but this is a failed attempt to "save" a body that was cracked from nose to tail. While stripping the paint it became brittle and ended up splitting in half. I shoe-goo'd it together, added filler and sprayed it on the outside. Ultimately I gave up on it but I think it's still around here somewhere.
Attachments
P1020972 (Large).JPG
Gary

Greenie
Approved Member

Post by Greenie »

I think my best is way worse than the worst ones on here. I've never been a painter. Hell I slop all over just trying to paint a living room wall.

iloveyourface17

Post by iloveyourface17 »

I actually really like this!!
**Brandy**

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

My worst....at least that I have record of...haha! :lol:
My first RC10 circa 1987. Hand painted with Tamiya paints.... :mrgreen:

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription.....is more cowbell."
Pinstriping by Josh

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Well now I've done it. I'm building a Losi! More distraction from the RC10 projects I started sooooo long ago. Anyway, this body is worth a look, as I too want to "salvage" it. I call it CSI Crime Scene. I look at it and can only think of coagulated blood puddles and high velocity spatter all over the wall. :P

- Brian -

My Gallery

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

Ok, well I didn't paint this but it is up there with the most hideous bodies ever. The picture does not do it justice, the pink is truly shocking. :lol:
"It's not broken, it's British!"

RABIDFOX50
Approved Member

Post by RABIDFOX50 »

I can't paint worth a darn as well. My paint jobs are boring black like yours. Safer that way for me. :lol: