RC10 rehab/transmission question

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

enziobodoni

RC10 rehab/transmission question

Post by enziobodoni »

I have an old RC10 goldpan buggy from ~1987 (I was only 13 when I got it) that was sitting in the shed for ~20 years. Got it out two weeks ago, got a new battery and electronic speed control, ran it ~3 times, and the bearing opposite the big diff gear flew out. I got the part that should have fit from associated, but it turns out that the transmission is aftermarket, called "Hot Trick Stuff." I have a hard time thinking I'll find parts for it. Opening it up, the transmission looks really worn and old, too, so I'm looking to replace it. So, my question: what are my options, and what is the cheapest?

I have seen old (used) stock original transmissions on Ebay, and have been offered a new one on another board. I've also heard that some of the newer transmissions will fit the mount in the car, even though they're structurally different. Any ideas of which would be the best? What should used or new transmissions (either stock or newer versions) cost? What should I pay for a new in package stock transmission?

enziobodoni

Post by enziobodoni »

Oops... meant to say that the parts I got from associated didn't fit the Hot Trick transmission. I guess I might also be interested from hearing from anyone who knows if Hot Trick Stuff is still around.

Ron Jeremy
Approved Member

Post by Ron Jeremy »

A picture is worth... alot.
I'd like to see this Hot Trick tranny in any case 8)

Just in case it is handy, here is the manual for your car.

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

Looking thru Woobers Hot trick page it does not seem like HTS made a RC10 trans. They make mounts, pans and stiff like that but I was not aware of complete trannies made by them. My guess is that you may have a 6 gear trans and you bought a stealth trans bearing???

oh and btw all HTS stuff was red.. Is the trans red??

HTS is long out of business

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

As far as I know, HT did not make a complete tranny for any vehicle. Woobie would be the best source of info, but I think I have seen or at one time owned every piece made by HT. If you can post a pic, I can almost guarantee we can ID it.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

If Hot Trick made a tranny, I think everyone here would be shocked. I don't think there is any documented evidence that they made such a part, but we've been wrong before.

It's probably a 6-gear, with the inserted bearing carrier opposite the diff being held in by an e-clip on the top shaft. If the e-clip was missing, that carrier/bearing could work it's way out (among other things).

The missing parts shouldn't be impossible to find. I may even have some in the junk bin in the shop...

Post photos if you can so we know what we're looking at.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

The closest thing that I know HT made for trannies was a RC10 motor/trans plate that allowed the installation of the RC10 tranny or MIPs tranny. I have one buried in a box.... Shodog has/had one installed on his MIP 4X Scorcher. He has pics of it on the forum somewhere, not sure if it is visible in the photos or not.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

mrlexan wrote:The closest thing that I know HT made for trannies was a RC10 motor/trans plate that allowed the installation of the RC10 tranny or MIPs tranny.
I'm not sure that a stock tranny will fit the hot trick mount. I'm pretty sure the only tranny that fits is the old school MIP tranny case. in any case here is a pic of mine on my scorcher

enziobodoni

Thanks

Post by enziobodoni »

I'll post pictures when I get home tonight. I'm now not altogether sure it's a Hot Trick tranny from what was posted earlier. There was a sticker on the thing that said HTS, though, and the case is dyed red, so I thought it was. Opening it up, it looks just like the 6 gear Associated stock tranny, but the differential shaft seems to have a narrower end (the end opposite the really big gear) than stock, so that the bearing set that I bought from associated doesn't fit it. Therefore, the drive shaft just wiggles around with lots of play.

I'll post pictures tonight.

thanks for all the help.
Geoff

enziobodoni

RC10 pix

Post by enziobodoni »

Here are the pix of my old RC10 showing the transmission. The red transmission brace has a "Hot trick Stuff" sticker (which looks pretty well stuck on like it was originally there), but I don't know where the transmission comes from, as I bought the thing from another kid when I was about 13 (20 years ago). Also look at the bearing that's missing, and compare the stock bearing size fit into the bearing adapter -- there's still a lot of free play, so I think the drive shaft is thinner than stock.

Also, the thing is pretty dirty, but hey, it's been in a box in a shed for 20 years.

Thanks for your help and advice.
Attachments
CIMG1239 (Small).JPG
CIMG1239 (Small).JPG (48.75 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
CIMG1239 (Small).JPG
CIMG1239 (Small).JPG (48.75 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
CIMG1244 (Small).JPG
CIMG1244 (Small).JPG (47.21 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
CIMG1244 (Small).JPG
CIMG1244 (Small).JPG (47.21 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
CIMG1245 (Small).JPG
CIMG1245 (Small).JPG (49.02 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
CIMG1245 (Small).JPG
CIMG1245 (Small).JPG (49.02 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
CIMG1246 (Small).JPG
CIMG1246 (Small).JPG (57.52 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
CIMG1246 (Small).JPG
CIMG1246 (Small).JPG (57.52 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
CIMG1247 (Small).JPG
CIMG1247 (Small).JPG (42.97 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
CIMG1247 (Small).JPG
CIMG1247 (Small).JPG (42.97 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
CIMG1251 (Small).JPG
CIMG1251 (Small).JPG (38.65 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
CIMG1251 (Small).JPG
CIMG1251 (Small).JPG (38.65 KiB) Viewed 1965 times

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

thats a stock associated 6 gear transmission. its been dyed red along with the tranny brace, but they are both factory.

apex pretty much explained your problem. there's a bearing that goes there held by a c clip.

go here and scroll down to the original buggy instructions and the pdf will show ya what parts and how they all go together.

http://www.teamassociated.com/shusting/CatalogHub/cathub_offroad.htm

enziobodoni

Post by enziobodoni »

[quote="badhoopty"]thats a stock associated 6 gear transmission. its been dyed red along with the tranny brace, but they are both factory.

apex pretty much explained your problem. there's a bearing that goes there held by a c clip.

go here and scroll down to the original buggy instructions and the pdf will show ya what parts and how they all go together.

http://www.teamassociated.com/shusting/CatalogHub/cathub_offroad.htm[/quote]

Thing is, see picture 1251. I explained this all to Associated, looked up the part, ordered the "correct" one, and the bearing that's in there (see in the picture) has an inner diameter that's too big. It doesn't fit, and I don't see any other bearing that could fit. Do you know the exact dimensions of the bearing that's supposed to go there?

enziobodoni

apexspeed

Post by enziobodoni »

Apexspeed, I have the e clips that should hold the bearing on, but if you have a bearing that would fit, let me know.

Thanks!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

it looks like you have the wrong size bearing on the e-clip side of the trans. it should be a 5/16" x 3/16" flanged, not a 3/8" x 1/4" flanged. the smaller bearing will sit inside the adapter, and will allow you to put an e-cilp on the topshaft.

enziobodoni

Post by enziobodoni »

A smaller bearing would make sense. I'll see if associated still sells that one.

Thanks.