Vintage Jrx Quandry??

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Vintage Jrx Quandry??

Post by DerbyDan »

I recently brought these two Losis (or is it Losi' :?: :| ) A Jrx Pro & a Jrx2, following a tip-off from Janus here on this forum. They also came with a whole bundle of spares, wheels & tyres, a couple of Novak ESCs & a number of motors (including a NIB Trinity 'Slot Machine' 8) )

Ever since my mate turned up a racing with a brand-new Jrx2 (back in the day) sporting the brightest flourescent orange bodyshell - i've always wanted one... so i'm now chuffed to be the proud owner of two :D

Thing is although the Pro is in superb condition (looks likes its probably done one or two race meetings) So a quick clean up along with the addition of a new pair of orange steering bellcranks for this car will suffice. I'm not sure what to do with the Jrx2.... I probably have enough spares to build up a complete new car - but i'm missing a chassis plate, a set of shocks, bearings & a couple of other small bits so (option 1) I'd either have to wait for these parts to come up for sale or (option 2) use the old car as a doner for the missing bits (although either way i'll need one of MrLexan's excellent reproduction shells) If I was to do the latter i'd have to use the well scoured & worn chassis & the scratched shocks from the old car - so these would detract from what would otherwise be an immaculate Jrx.

The third option is to strip & re-build the old car (back into 5-link spec) just using the spares I have to replace worn parts - (rather than replace cosmetically imperfect bits) & have myself a good runner????

Anyway enough of my spiel here's some pics; (sorry about the grainy image quality - damn anti-shake :roll: )

Well-worn underside of the Jrx2

So what would you do??

(& if anyone has any of the above mentioned parts NIP [mainly SWB chassis & shocks] please let me know :wink: )

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: Vintage Jrx Quandry??

Post by aconsola »

Nice cars.
Tear them down, clean 'em up and rebuild them. That jrx-2 is begging to be run. I would clean up the body too and use it. Put a spare piece of lexan under the nose with some silicone/shoe goo type stuff to reinforce it as they all seem to crack there.

Save your nip parts until you have enough for a complete build and sit down with the manual and build step by step like it was your first. I did that with a jrx-pro last year, lots of fun.

I've been looking for a nip swb chassis for a couple years with no luck.

Have fun!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

aconsola wrote:Nice cars.
Tear them down, clean 'em up and rebuild them. That jrx-2 is begging to be run. I would clean up the body too and use it. Put a spare piece of lexan under the nose with some silicone/shoe goo type stuff to reinforce it as they all seem to crack there.

Save your nip parts until you have enough for a complete build and sit down with the manual and build step by step like it was your first. I did that with a jrx-pro last year, lots of fun.

I've been looking for a nip swb chassis for a couple years with no luck.

Have fun!
Thanks aconsola :) I must admit that whilst I was writing down the options in my post - it seemed clear that building a runner from the Jrx2 pretty much as it stands is the way to go, & save the new parts (none of them in packets i'm afraid) For a new/ish build should the right parts come up 8)

My lasting impression from the odd drive that I did have of my mate's Jrx2 was just how nimble & alive it felt (helped in part by the fact i'd never driven a car with a FET servo) Up until that time I just had owned & raced old 'tanks' so it was quite a revelation when I drove this car. I want to build a car to re-live that experience :wink:

P.S; yes the front of the body is split at the front & in the case of my shell has been fixed/re-inforced with some tape - i'll make a better repair of it & use it - saves wreking a new repro shell.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

its not hard to make the chassis lookbetter I have sanded filled holes and painted. and on another one I used a carbon fiber decal as an chassis film and sealed the edges it looks great.
Attachments
DSCF0015 (3).JPG
DSCF0003 (2).JPG
DSCF0015 (2).JPG
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Nice pick up.....it was one of my favourite cars BITD. I upgraded mine from the std version with the Proformance kit. The chassis looks pretty good perhaps a light wet sand may return positive results.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

uzzi wrote:Nice pick up.....it was one of my favourite cars BITD. I upgraded mine from the std version with the Proformance kit. The chassis looks pretty good perhaps a light wet sand may return positive results.
I was thinking that i'd give the u/side of the chassis a bit of wet n' dry treatment, just to smooth it off a bit - Bearrickster.... I had spotted your Carbon Film idea on your build before, but I fear that the film would follow the shape of the well worn rear of the chassis & just look a bit odd???

P.S; what do people use these days for clear chassis protection film - BITD I can remember people using 'Litespeed' Tuff-Stuff??

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

DerbyDan wrote: I was thinking that i'd give the u/side of the chassis a bit of wet n' dry treatment, just to smooth it off a bit - Bearrickster.... I had spotted your Carbon Film idea on your build before, but I fear that the film would follow the shape of the well worn rear of the chassis & just look a bit odd???
What I did to fix that was to fill the worn area at the back with JB Weld, sand the edges and then the bottom of the chassis. Works like a champ!
Attachments
P1030150 (Large).JPG
P1030151 (Large).JPG
Gary

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Wow! That looks great! I must just have to give that a go..... 8)
RedScampi wrote: What I did to fix that was to fill the worn area at the back with JB Weld, sand the edges and then the bottom of the chassis. Works like a champ!

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I used 2 part epoxy and automotive body putty to smooth out the flaws. I also used clear finger nail polish on the edge to seal the chassis and seal the decal down.

But their is nothing wrong with a worn chassis. after all of the work I did on this on I am haveing second thoughts on running it, so what fun is that. I want to pick up another one to leave alone so I can fell good about racing it.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I see your point - thats why I asked about clear protection film - that way at least I can protect the chassis from getting worse whilst I use the car.... then still use it if I decide to build a minty car for the shelf :wink: