New member intro

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flipwils11
Approved Member

New member intro

Post by flipwils11 »

Hi everyone, I guess I always knew it would come full circle, back to RC to me. I had an RC10 as a kid and started my RC addiction with a Hornet. The RC10 ended up so modified that it was barely recognizeable and I sadly sold it in highschool.

Now in my 30's with a 4 year old boy and some money in my pockets, I started looking for something for him to try. Got him a 1/18 associated 4wd truck and of course Dad needs something too! I just paid for but don't have yet, a new in the box RC10 Team Car with the black chassis ($$$$. Ouch). On the lookout for an ok shape runner, gold chassis car as well. Oh boy, it's starting!

A lot has changed it seems in 15 years, so perhaps some of you can help me understand the newer batteries and what the heck a brushless motor is? Also can the RC10 be competitive in 2wd dirt racing today? What makes the newer cars by Associated and others any better than our RC10's?

I'll post some pics when I get this team car in my hands.

shodog
Approved Member

Re: New member intro

Post by shodog »

welcome, you are going to find a wealth of knowledge if you hang out long enough.

railey72
Approved Member

Post by railey72 »

Welcome to the board!! Shodog is right, there is a ton of information on this board.

RCCA did an article a few years ago were they asked the same question of how competitive the gold pan would be against a newer buggy (B2 or B3 at the time). If I remember correctly they raced two scenarios. One had the rc10 using it's old stock tires and it didn't do very well. In the next race they put updated tires on the gold pan and it ran very close to the B2/B3 . I think the conclusion was that the biggest advancement has been in tires and that the original rc10 can still be competitive (realatively speaking) to a newer buggy when tires and electronics are equal. Other than that, suspension geometry and durability are probably the biggest advancements over the stock gold pan.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Here are some photos of my car that I found. I have a few more (one of which is posted in the Sassis Chassy thread showing the mid-engine conversion I did).

I found some photos in an old archive I kept as a kid. Sorry that these are really poor but I was 11 years old and using a very, very cheap point and shoot camera. Also, this is an iphone (3 megapixel) photo of my old pictures.

Through the crappy photos you will maybe spot the green components that I dyed (the popular thing to do at the time), the engine heat sink, aftermarket front suspension arms, I was partway through the process of sanding the gold anodizing off to have a silver aluminum finish (give me a break, I was young!), and I was not the best at body and paintwork on the lexan shell. :P Oh and I had drilled the tub full of holes to save weight. :cry:

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Love the woodwall family truckster in the background. :lol: Nice RC10 also.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

CamplinP wrote:Love the woodwall family truckster in the background. :lol: Nice RC10 also.
but whats the car in front camero?
nice old 10

welcome too

Paul

metallicats33
Approved Member

Post by metallicats33 »

treehugger wrote: but whats the car in front camero?
looks like an AMC.

Welcome flipwils11. nice old pics...
so, whatcha got now??

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

The Rc10 Team Car should come this week, my son just got a RTR RC18T for his b-day yesterday which started my whole path to this forum and my google memories of RC10's, and I bought a decent vintage gold tub runner for playing with. The RC10 Team Car is new in the box so I haven't decided what to do with it yet.

I got a cheap Futaba PCM1024 Magnum radio on eBay but it's a hunk of junk and I may look for another (that is the type of radio I had later on with my RC10).

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

metallicats33 wrote:
treehugger wrote: but whats the car in front camero?
looks like an AMC.

Welcome flipwils11. nice old pics...
so, whatcha got now??
My guess for the car in front is a Ford Mustang fastback. Around a 1969 or 70 or so...just sticking with the ford family truckster theme.

Drop us some pix when you get it. The son should be happy with his rc18t. I think the 18t are some of the funnest smaller scale out there.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

flipwils11,

First off, welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find a wealth of information. I have been trolling around the forum for months and I am still finding new information.

I as well are in a similar position as your self (minus the kid), and have come full circle in my passion for RC. For the only reason that my buddy had an RC10 was the reason I went to Losi. I always like both, just never the money to own both, however now I can. I recently restored my original JRX2, and just recently purchased a GP to restore, so after all these years I have both!

While I agree that the largest advancement has been in tire/wheel technology, as a whole RC cars have gotten much more efficient, and possibly more drivable over the years. Just like real cars, there have been huge advancements in tire/wheels, and advancements in efficiency. Another area of advancement has been in materials, in past years they were made primarily of aluminum, steel, plastics, and some fibers. Now we have titanium, carbon fiber, advanced composite plastics, and various other polymers. Another big area of development has been electronics, and batteries, this area perhaps has been the largest source in speed and performance in the RC industry.

Slap on some new tires, new electronics, lipo battery, and give the suspension a once over, and you have got a pretty fast and competitive buggy on your hands.

Great pictures, brings back memories, and it will be nice to some pictures of your new (old...) RC10.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Bumping my own thread here. :P

I think I got pretty close (thanks to Jim at Winning Edge Design) to a reincarnation of my childhood RC10 with color scheme and Bud's bi-level wing. I don't think I'll go down the path of removing the aluminum anodizing on the shocks like I did as a kid. I also switched the suspension arms to some vintage Andy's arms.

Also here are two pics of the gold pan runner I built for my son, body also done by Jim at WED. His car has some vintage Hot Trick shock towers and I dyed the parts to match the red.