Old gt = new SC... and intro

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Old gt = new SC... and intro

Post by sbcnyc »

Hey all, new member, first post after lurking for days, and waiting to gain access! drooling over all the sick custom gold pan builds, i didnt think people still home brewed their race rigs/ just fun in the yard cars!!! Just got back into rc over the last 2 years, amazing how far its come and the new directions all the goods and bla bla bla... its toooooo much to keep up with, lipo, brushless, 2.4, 8th scale electric??? insssssssane.... im all for progress... but man, build it, break it, make it better, rc's werent always disposable, they used to have real unique caracter, just like the builds here, so many variants of the same car, two guys with the exact same rollers and parts come up with two truly different cars! thats what ive been missing!!!! THANK U rc10talk, you have restored my faith in the rc hobbyist!!!

about a year and a half ago, my buddies bought full on boxed rtr psycho beasts and i just had to come out of retirement to play!!!...updated my gt to modern times, because im cheap, hobby savvy (to a point a little past the intro of the tmaxx) resourceful, i had the truck and assorted rc stuff hiding in the closet from various girlfriends, and i really needed a distraction from being too adult, work beer sleep, work beer sleep... ugh...... needless to say we have had a hysterical time, watching friends destroy sub thousand dollar rtr's (savage 5.9, a vorza, a slew of 1/16 revos) as my bargin bin nitros have stayed together for a 20th of the cost (dont you just love that gas truck is dead, i have tonssss of xxxnt and gt1 ebay rollers a bound!) but theres nothing more amazing than witnessing someone opening a rtr in the middle of the street, breaking it in, than proceeding to huck it off a 6 foot high plank at full tilt... over a fence, into a rail yard, and drive it away, well, a few times..... sub 30 yr old men playing with toy cars like were 10, its amazing, all the stress and real world melt away, plus i dont feel like a weirdo running my car alone....still think its weird i play with toys...we have dubbed our sunday bashes "racewars" basically the last vehicle that runs, wins!... dont ask, it just an inside joke

dont get me wrong, im still a hobbyist, i sit and study my cars and try to tweak everything perfect, i like my cars dialed, but there far from shelf sleepers... well, except for the frog/blackfoot/blitzer beetle i built as a psuedo scaler out of leftovers..

anyways, i have a slew of rc10 parts coming as im going to start a WOIN gold pan buggy, not too many details, but all im saying, i have gts up the yang, with a t2 gear case and bulkhead, a lot of measurements and some forum input, hoping to build a long arm that can be raced and bulletproofed with somewhat easy to get gt spares

heres some cell phone pics of my gt1.5-sc, im sure you all have seen this conversion chassis, i took some shots of the cool bits you guys might like to try so you can keep a tub or pan gt1 going even if its not a conversion. pull start so i can take it in a backpack on me moto, so dont judge, engines are so cheap and powerful!!! check it out..
Attachments
IMG024.jpg
IMG023.jpg
IMG021.jpg
IMG025.jpg
IMG018.jpg
IMG031.jpg

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Re: Old gt = new SC... and intro

Post by sbcnyc »

and just to add....

no gt, vorza or savage in this overly produced video (my buddy is an editor and put this together) thats my hot pink xxxnt getting snagged... the nitro mt2 has seen way better days

you basically get the idea of what grown men with a hangover and some cameras do on sundays here in nyc
http://youtu.be/qPhNK-8maR0
[youtube]qPhNK-8maR0[/youtube]
and a few highlights with a friend who just isnt allowed to own nice things ...
this is the section of the "track" dubbed "racewar roulette"
http://youtu.be/XPkcQVMxxCU
[youtube]XPkcQVMxxCU[/youtube]
and a week later after some replacement parts... soo close yet again...
http://youtu.be/-G3eeoHM88c
[youtube]-G3eeoHM88c[/youtube]
unfortunately, no video of the savage getting run over by a city bus, but it survived and was rebuilt... idiots...
here it is on its 7th tank out of the box
http://youtu.be/vLUwgJd4dlA
[youtube]vLUwgJd4dlA[/youtube]
Last edited by klavy69 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube links

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Looks like fun and great soundtrack! 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

www.beatyourtruck.com has some fun vids and a youtube channel. It's a fun time killer. My Savage is my favorite runner. :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

i guess you can say were mocking what the r/c hobby has become... 10th scale dogs, hero montage music, gives you that 80's John Cusack surviving the odds feel... our ode to all those "hardcore BASHERS" (who came up with that horrid corny term, rcca? ) with that garbage neumetal emo music behind every MT jump vid let down..youtube is the devil!... how can you take r/c destruction so seriously, or feel acomplished, toy car meltdown from the comfort of a safe distance is not hardcore...its HYSTERICAL (until you realize how much money you just lit on fire) no matter how geeked up on monster/rockstar/redbull, rc cars are toys, not supercross.... nice safe rubber coated, no physical harm nerdom...

would be another story if you had to be in the car... and being im stuck home nursing a rebuilt clavicle, im just re-realizing my mortality... im getting too old to be laid up and not working... my renewed r/c obsession should keep me safe till spring...

beat your truck is a pretty decent site, but its full of kids and undergrown adults who take breaking stuff too seriously... but the vids are pretty funny and the scaler stuff is r/c modeling at its best

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

sbcnyc wrote:gives you that 80's John Cusack surviving the odds feel...
My whole life revolves around that feeling. :oops: :lol: I'm not sure I'm 100% understanding your view on people taking breaking their cars/trucks too seriously though. To me most of those videos are just people having a good time. Maybe I'm just a hillbilly though. :lol:
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

FWIW- I'm sure you've had a day or two like this with that pull start. I had my GT out in a parking lot and it's something like 95 degrees and humid as hell. For whatever reason the engine didn't want to start so I'm pulling, and pulling and pulling. :x By the time the thing started I was dripping with sweat and tired as hell. I definitely wanted to beat my truck after that! :lol:
Ken

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

sorry if im turning this thread into a rant... im as redneck as a city fool can be, take my word for it... senseless destruction is and will always be seriously awesome.... just some of the videos,threads, random posts that led me here are just filled with no info, tons of flaming, should i buy this or that to throw against a wall, how to fit a .46 in a micro.....and a lot of videos that are void in the humor of beating the junk outta a really expensive toy...

every post and thread ive browsed here is non stop packed with seriously smart modelers and enthusiasts... nice to have a break

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

sbcnyc wrote:sorry if im turning this thread into a rant... im as redneck as a city fool can be, take my word for it... senseless destruction is and will always be seriously awesome.... just some of the videos,threads, random posts that led me here are just filled with no info, tons of flaming, should i buy this or that to throw against a wall, how to fit a .46 in a micro.....and a lot of videos that are void in the humor of beating the junk outta a really expensive toy...

every post and thread ive browsed here is non stop packed with seriously smart modelers and enthusiasts... nice to have a break
Ok, gotcha. I know what you mean. This is about the only r/c forum I post in anymore. Not that I belong with the rest of these guys. :shock: I just like to muck the place up a bit with my idiotic posts and stare at all the killer builds. 8)
Ken

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

exactly!! yet again.... sorry for the winded posts.... rather talk gt!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

sbcnyc wrote:sorry for the winded posts.... rather talk gt!
I like long posts and especially rants!. I like to picture Clark Griswold in "Christmas Vacation" goin' on about not getting his Christmas bonus. :lol:

Any more details on the GT/SC? Not to mention better pics? Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of taking a lot of cell phone pics myself(that way I can just email them to myself and upload them without getting any cables out because I'm lazy! :oops: ), but those are very fuzzy and hard to make out any details. Looks very cool from what I can see though. :D
Ken

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

im such a cheapo, i use the same micro sd card in my cellphone and my camera!. charging the digi right now and ill try to post some better shots in a few....

basket o gt parts sc built with fingers crossed nitro sc becomes something!

unknown chassis/bumper braces/body mounts purchased off a short course forum, extended wheelbase to sc spec, about 325mm axle to axle center, sc10 bumpers, proline silverado something or other over priced body with my "i need it bright and plain so i can see it" signature daytona yellow...

rpm front and rear arms, rear arm blocks, body mount, ball cups, rear hubs and bearings
stock ORIGINAL bulkhead drilled about 4mm from upper inner camber hole inward, random aluminum front end brace ties the ball ends together, no snapping! (losi rtr shocks, 1# assc piston 32.5 oil, rear green springs, 3 deg toe at the mount, zero degree camber, no change through travel, suits my driving with stock sc8 tires)

full metal trans with an HG diff gear and a Trinity lightened slipper! homebrew trans brace tower/turnbuckle link (did this because any gt owner knows, even a blue pan still flexes, with the RR spur, on a bad bump to the rear, the gearbox moves and meshes horribly with the clutchbell, resulting in blown top outter shaft bearings, even with oversize screws holding the front of the trans down to the chassis)

xxxnt front kingpins, ground c hub down to fit arms, redrilled steering knuckles to gt placement trying to correct bumpsteer, mip bb steering, futaba s9303 mg crack fast servo, unknown front 17mm adapters flipped to make up for xxxnt axle length (chassis has mellow kickup, maybe 25 deg, 1 deg toe out, zero camber, losi threaded shocks, assc #2 piston 37.5, truck blue fronts)

front needs way more work...swapping to t4 c-hub with proline inboard axle steering (need to make 17mm adapter to fit) i did all this so id stop breaking the threads off stock aluminum axles, not sure how durable pin adapter front axles will be, ive broken a few t4 rear cvd axles, snap right at the pin, the sc wheels put way too much leverage on the axle on a bad, side landing, kinda nice that the only thing i loose after this happens is the pin, adapter stays in the wheel, bearing in the hub, axle nut on broken axle, gotten to master hot swapping cvds

i had a nova mega12 nps in it for a while, with plans of using a trx 3.3 i have, but the nova ran beyond my dreams, never though such a heavy r/c would pull wheelies with a slightly loose slipper.... and be so graceful, serious scale baja 1000 handling, undergeared with a losi 17 bell, i went a step further... now it sports a brand new not broken in hpi g3.0 sg shaft engine.... the three worst aspects of a gt, 1... spur clutchbell mesh, 2...outdrive wear 3...clutch bearings!!!! ughhhhh... so i think i solved two moving the engine over, by flipping the pullstart mount (not enough room to just drill and tap offset holes on the ps mount), countersinking screws that come up through the bottom of the mount, making posts to fill the gap, to offset the engine ever so slightly, the bell clears the spur by maybe 3mm. i have a pieced together clutch system right now awaiting a test, a losi drilled and flipped flywheel and 2 shoe clutch, cut down ntc3 sg nut, tmaxx 22t bell and spacers to take up the slack, i wanna switch to a buku clutch but 80 bux is nuts, i bought two complete rollers for that!.... i do have a gt2 setup, tried it with a wimpy .15 and it slips even with their soft rate springs...or maybe its the massive gearing? i guess i might have to splurge on a few smaller clutchbells if the tmaxx 22t is too much... but who knows, im not much for advertisement but this hpi mill is rated a 2hp??? hmmm....

still a work in progress, but just iike many of you know, old team cars are hard to beat, even in unskilled hands...old is new!!!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Cool! Where in NYC are you? I'm in Bushwick.

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

bushwick! haahaa who doesnt live there now! seriously, this is kinda awesome.... im in manhattan, work in greenpoint and spend a lot of my after work time in the "shwik" i rent a storage on white street, most of my friends been living there for years, my lady lives and works in the hood... and i spend a really unhealthy amount of time at kings county... with a lil wreck room thrown in... too many old friends work the bars and well... yea, new york is a really small place....

havent been around in a while, home, healing a broken collarbone... so here i am, with a living room scattered with r/c junk! planing to take some toys out tomorrow, feeling better, dying to break in the new engine not sure if were gonna be in bushwick (end of bogart past johnson) or floyd bennet, but i just got a picture txt, consisting of a vorza with savage 5.9 wheels... ugh... it looks like a farm tractor!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I thought some of those videos looked like Bushwick. I get a drink at Kings County and the Wreck Room now and then myself. Last couple times out I went to this new spot on Flushing, down by Knickerbocker called Momma something. It's a pretty good place.

Next time you plan to be out running your trucks, send me a PM. I'd like to come see them in person! I don't have anything nearly that fast, but I do have a big 550 brushless system laying around that I'd love to find an excuse to get a truck to put it in.