RC10 Video and Manual Car

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aeiou
Approved Member

RC10 Video and Manual Car

Post by aeiou »

This is sort of a combined build, “show us your replicas” and general information thread, so please join in as you wish. :wink:

I’m in the process of gathering parts for a vintage racer that I plan to run at some upcoming vintage events. I’m modeling it after the early production RC10, in particular, the one used in both the RC10 manual and the “winning edge” video. While it hasn’t been 100% confirmed that the same car was used for both, there’s a decent bit of evidence to support that theory. Anyway, more on that below…

This car will be raced, so I’m not going for an exact replica to ride on the queen shelf (although I may do that one day). It will have the overall look of that car – especially the paint scheme and wheels. I’m going to use a pair of bigjeepzz’s sweet replica spring cups for the rear shocks and a set of Pargu’s alloy wheel covers to simulate the chrome wheels as seen in the video. I have a set of original AE tires for the front and I’d like to get at least get some traction, so I’m not sure what tires I’ll use in the rear yet. :D There will be a couple of aftermarket parts, such as turnbuckles and bell cranks, just to make it perform a little better. I know I won't be able to keep up with the later model cars, but I'd rather not get lapped too many times if I can help it. :P

Here’s the look I’m after:
RC10VideoCarRight.jpg
RC10VideoCarRight.jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
RC10VideoCarRight.jpg
RC10VideoCarRight.jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
RC10ManualCarRight.jpg
While researching the car and paint scheme, I came across a couple of interesting tidbits. When I was scanning through the video and manual, I noticed several similarities to the car that Curtis Husting currently has. During Ruffy’s research for his amazing box art replica build, he was in contact with Curtis, who sent him a photo of his car:
curtiswithhisoriginalrc-small.jpg
While he appears to indeed have the original box art body, his chassis is clearly not from the box art car. However, I suspect he may have the chassis used in the video and for most of the photos in the early manuals.

Here's a reference from Steve Husting on Curtis' car.

One of the more obvious items is that front kick up, with its machined edges. front body mount hole and countersunk screws.

Also, notice what appears to be a machined front spring cup.
RC10ManualShocks.jpg
RC10ManualShocks.jpg (36.58 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
RC10ManualShocks.jpg
RC10ManualShocks.jpg (36.58 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
Another interesting viewpoint from the video:
RC10VideoCarRear.jpg
RC10VideoCarRear.jpg (26 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
RC10VideoCarRear.jpg
RC10VideoCarRear.jpg (26 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
It would be great to see some additional photos of Curtis’ car, especially with the body off.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Video and Manual Car

Post by mikedealer »

should be a sweet build, cant wait to see results.. i was going to paint up the same body but never got around to it, only made the paint masks on the vinyl cutter, which i dont think are complete yet lol. still need to re-paint my jammin jay replica body...

good luck

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I am looking forward to watching this build as well! Nice introduction so far tio start things off. I believe the word I heard was they (AE) are not sure what happened to the original box art "car" but that they still have the body on another old chassis.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Ruffy, do you see what I do for the tranny case? I mean, other than more work for you :lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Ruffy, do you see what I do for the tranny case? I mean, other than more work for you :lol:
you mean....... more work for aeiou. :wink:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

As long as it's not more work for me, I don't care :lol:

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

I’d like to thank Steve for taking time out of his schedule to put together these excellent photos of Curtis’ car, and for allowing me to post them.

Essentially, it looks like Curtis does indeed have the chassis that was used in the manual. The electronics have been removed, and a different motor and gear cover’s been installed, but the rest appears to be there. You can scan the photos below and see several unique items that match with the manual photos (shock rod ends, FG transmission brace, etc.), but here are a few of the more obvious ones:

Tub – notice the telltale scratches
RearChassisBottom.jpg
IMG_420618.jpg
IMG_420618.jpg (66.29 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
IMG_420618.jpg
IMG_420618.jpg (66.29 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
Nose piece – scratches and the unique position of the body mount hole
NosePlateTop.jpg
NosePlateTop.jpg (28.08 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
NosePlateTop.jpg
NosePlateTop.jpg (28.08 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
IMG_419810.jpg
IMG_419810.jpg (65.19 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
IMG_419810.jpg
IMG_419810.jpg (65.19 KiB) Viewed 1799 times

Rear shock tower – nicks and what appears to be servo tape residue
RearShockTowerFront.jpg
RearShockTowerFront.jpg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
RearShockTowerFront.jpg
RearShockTowerFront.jpg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
IMG_419911.jpg
IMG_419911.jpg (59.35 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
IMG_419911.jpg
IMG_419911.jpg (59.35 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
More photos
IMG_420517.jpg
IMG_420517.jpg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
IMG_420517.jpg
IMG_420517.jpg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
IMG_419406.jpg
IMG_419406.jpg (56.4 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
IMG_419406.jpg
IMG_419406.jpg (56.4 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
IMG_420719.jpg
IMG_420719.jpg (58.98 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
IMG_420719.jpg
IMG_420719.jpg (58.98 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
IMG_420012.jpg
IMG_420012.jpg (78.67 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
IMG_420012.jpg
IMG_420012.jpg (78.67 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
This car may also be the car Roger Curtis is holding in the video, but I'm still looking at that part. There are several similarities, beyond the wheels & tires.

OK, I need to start building some cars now... :D

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

Aeiou, Thanks for posting the color pics and information very helpful. First time I noticed the gold nose tubes.

SnoopMaxx
Approved Member

Post by SnoopMaxx »

This is really a great set of photos :D
And I agree that IS the car from the manual

I noised one thing on the first photo
The motor mount in the manual is on the inside of the chassis
Attachments
RearChassisBottom1.jpg
Morten Max

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

SnoopMaxx wrote:The motor mount in the manual is on the inside of the chassis
Yep, the photos in the manual show it assembled the correct way.

According to Curtis, when they took the photos for the manual, they started with a completed car and disassembled it in reverse order to the instructions, taking shots along the way. So the car as it is now is probably just how it was put back together after the shoot.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

That is definitely the manual car there for sure!
My comment earlier was that they are unsure of what happened to the Box art car, which I was under the impression was a different car than the one used for the manual.
Curtis has the body for the box-art car left, but the wing and the actual car are missing. But I wonder if this is the box-art car, with changes to make it represent the kit build car.
Things like the shock towers, shocks, shock spring collars, nose brace tubes, tires, motorplate, noseplate, etc.. may have all been changed to represent the production vehicle for the manual. So this may in fact be the box-car basically as it was left after the photoshoot for the manual. I wonder why they put the motorplate overtop of the chassis then, since the box-art car and the manual car both have the plate inside the chassis lip?
Notice the bottom pivots red coloring has fallen off (paint?!) on the 4 shocks (not just the rears as the box-art).
Notice also the bottom of the chassis view, is missing holes. 1 for the 2nd steering servo position; two holes missing for the throttle servo 2nd position, no battery cup holes in the middle area and all the side edge holes are C'sunk.

This should be a great build, thankfully I don't need to do that motor-plate over chassis deal for my boxter versions!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

here's a question i have........ with the motor plate over top of the chassis, are the holes in the tub tapped 4-40, or is it nut and bolted? the motor plate to me looks like a standard plate, but the bend is further down on the brace so that it would go over top of the tub, and the screw holes are located further down on the motor plate to make up for the distance.

either way, it'll be easy to replicate. reshape it, drill 2 new holes, and weld up the other 2.

i also noticed that the nose plate has 2 round holes for the servo mounting screws instead of the slotted ones, it doesn't have one of the holes for a larger servo in the front, it's missing the 2 holes in the back for a larger msc servo, and it doesn't have the offset holes to run the battery inline.

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

I thought about that too, Ruffy. I sent a note to Steve about the red on those shock ends to see if it's paint or what.

The nose piece looks to be a complete custom piece that was anodized and then drilled, so it could be. Apparently, Curtis made several cars during those early years, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a good deal of parts swapping going on.

However, if you watch the winning edge video, take a look at the second car that Roger Curtis talks about – the one he raced. Of particular interest are the shocks, nose piece and the chassis. When he spins the car around, see anything that looks familiar?
RogerCurtisRacerLeftFront.jpg
RogerCurtisRacerLeftFront.jpg (29.74 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
RogerCurtisRacerLeftFront.jpg
RogerCurtisRacerLeftFront.jpg (29.74 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
RogerCurtisRacerNosePiece.jpg
RogerCurtisRacerNosePiece.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
RogerCurtisRacerNosePiece.jpg
RogerCurtisRacerNosePiece.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
There are several other unique bits – the bell cranks, rear shock tower, shock stays, steering links, etc. How about that antenna mount?

If I were a betting man, I’d say that is the box art car that Roger is holding.

SnoopMaxx
Approved Member

Post by SnoopMaxx »

Great catch :shock:
Where did you find a reference to that dent in the chassis ??
And the colour of the nose tubes match the photo you have posted

How many times have you seen that video ??? :lol:
I have watched it at least 20-30 times :oops:
Morten Max

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

SnoopMaxx wrote:Where did you find a reference to that dent in the chassis ??
It's on the box flap:
BoxFlapSuspension.jpg