Pushing the limits of brushless systems

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Pushing the limits of brushless systems

Post by klavy69 »

Just wanted to find out what you R/C gurus think of pushing the limits on brushless systems and batteries? Got a vxl esc/motor that I was thinking of putting a 4 cell lipo onto. Anyone try pushing the limits on their brushless systems? I know the vxl is rated for up to a 3 cell anyway but was wondering if they rate their systems for less than what they can handle. Kinda like when you get a piece of rigging that says its rated for 5 tons straight pull but it can actually hold a lot more for the people who 'push the limits'. Thanx for the read and any info you guys can come up with.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

giggles
Approved Member

Re: Pushing the limits of brushless systems

Post by giggles »

i would also like too now your guys thoughts on this too i hace a older tc2 novak spped controll an woundering if it can handle more than 8.4
some of my cars rc10 rc10t RC10T2 rc10t3 rc10gt sc10 4X4 losi xx4 tlr 22, duratrax exb, rs4 super rc10 worlds trf801x and trf801xt td10
nitro rs4 rs4 ev0 mirage v spec venum creeper
desc410v2 pro sc18 rc18 team turingy go cart and sct slash 2wd

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

Post by realoldschooldude »

While I would assume, as you did, that it could handle more than it's rated for, my worry would be how much more could it reasonably handle. And wouldn't they say it could handle 4S if it could?

The problem to me is that we're not talking about a volt or two, like back in the days of running NiMHs and adding a couple more cells to your pack. We're talking a huge voltage and amperage jump.

Just doesn't seem to be worth blowing up a perfectly good ESC.
ImageImage

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

realoldschooldude wrote: Just doesn't seem to be worth blowing up a perfectly good ESC.
its covered by warranty :wink:
Todd

ricerscott
Approved Member

Post by ricerscott »

If you feel like testing out the warranty I would go ahead and do it..lol I do know traxxas is pretty good about covering their electronics. As mentioned before though, adding another lipo cell, is alot more than adding an extra nicd/nimh cell. Plus if you run 4s you have to watch voltage as the vxl only has cut off for up to 3s.

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

klavy69 wrote:
realoldschooldude wrote: Just doesn't seem to be worth blowing up a perfectly good ESC.
Todd
Manufacturers aren't in the business of losing money, and they're not going to affect their bottom line by covering product returns.
So it bothers me when people make the suggestion of "just do it, you can always return it under warranty" - when the reality is that if we want companies to raise their prices to cover the costs of warranty repairs (due to the stupidity of users) we can further continue to do our part in ruining the economy and increasing retail pricing by doing just what you suggest. :roll:
ImageImage

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

realoldschooldude wrote: Manufacturers aren't in the business of losing money, and they're not going to affect their bottom line by covering product returns.
they wouldn't offer a return if it would even remotely affect their bottom line.
realoldschooldude wrote:So it bothers me when people make the suggestion of "just do it, you can always return it under warranty"

Good for you. Bothers me too. Take it up in a pm with anyone who does and keep it off this forum. This is a pretty good place yet without all the idiots who come around lookin to be a keyboard cowboy and start crap. Its not what I was promoting. If it was I wouldn't be asking this question. Instead I would just simply go over and plug it in, find out for myself and then send it in since that what the warranty is for. What I'm trying to do is find out beforehand so I don't have to do just that. I'm also trying to find out if anyone has done this and see what their experiences are...like the original question that started this thread asked.
realoldschooldude wrote: (due to the stupidity of users)
These companies are banking on this. They don't make near the money on the rtr truck they sell versus the parts you buy to upgrade or repair it.
realoldschooldude wrote: we can further continue to do our part in ruining the economy and increasing retail pricing by doing just what you suggest. :roll:

I never suggested this so keep your :roll: to yourself or put it in pm form and I'll deal with it there.

Now to be back on track. Has anyone gone past the recommended rating like this and what was your results? Thanx
Todd

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

with the speed controller capability today, they probably go into shutdown if the voltage is out of range.....because most of the stuff needs to be 'idiot' proof today, this is not an impossible thing to expect.

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

Makes sense with all the leaps and bounds in technology today that something like that would be there. Would make it easier to state a rating that would be more realistic to what its built for that way. Makes you wanna go hmmmmm :lol:
Todd

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

klavy69 wrote:
klavy69 wrote:Take it up in a pm with anyone who does and keep it off this forum. This is a pretty good place yet without all the idiots who come around lookin to be a keyboard cowboy and start crap. Its not what I was promoting.
Cool out kid, you were the one that brought it up and promoted the idea.
Don't open the door if you don't want your motives questioned. :roll:

If you feel good about intentionally blowing up a ESC, and then returning under warranty, then I don't know what to say other than it's WRONG. :twisted:

ImageImage

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

realoldschooldude,
you got a problem with me pm it...otherwise quit making posts. Wasn't promoting your ideas. You got nothing to answer the original question I don't want to hear about it along with most of the people on this board. Thanx for keeping it on top for someone to post something useful though.

Cool kid here and subject done :wink: .
Todd

junkman
Approved Member

Post by junkman »

I have been wondering the same thing, I have a mud truck I'm building out of kyosho twin force. Need a waterproof esc, but really want to run 4s, with an 1800kv or so motor since the truck has 2 bat trays. If it doesn't have some sort of overvolt protection, I think it will do it. The little vxl3m thats in the 1/16 scale stuff I have ran off 4s before, worked fine, but I really think it needed a ubec because it gets jittery and glitches after a while. I don't think the velineon 3500kv motor is going to like 4s though unless you really watch the temps, and gearing. I have a couple original mamba maxes that have been on 4s since day one (with a ubec) in heavy 1/8 and maxx trucks. For what its worth I personally have several clods/txt's that are all running old novak roosters on 3s, one running a cyclone on 3s. Just running stock tamiya silvercans on 3s gives them a enough of a healthy jump in speed for them to be fun to play with. Probably the overvolt killer that I have witnessed is my stock summit running on 6s. I had let a newish into the hobby buddy borrow it trying to get him to buy one. I was over at his house and I noticed there were 2 3s packs next to it. I said "you havn't been running those packs in the summit have you?" His answer "yeah why" He proceeds to take it outside and show me. It worked, and he said he'd ran a couple packs through it that way. I say give it a go and report back! Worst case scenario it frys it and you will be out $45 from traxxas if they don't warranty it. I don't think its going to kill the economy and rc hobby as we know it to try it.....and try to get it warrantied. If it doesn't work and traxxas does warranty it, they are probably out $20 on the their cost of a replacement esc. If it does work, me, and I'm sure many others who type in a google search of "vxl3s on 4s" will see this thread and see it worked, then go buy one.