Ball cup blues

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

esaresky75
Approved Member

Ball cup blues

Post by esaresky75 »

Updating a 6010 with turnbuckle and RPM Ball Cups, because the upper turnbuckles are so short (1-1/4") the extra length of the RPM Ball Cups are touching the hex on the turnbuckle. I will try the J concept ones next because they look shorter (can someone verify that?) but are there other ones available that I'm not seeing? I want white/natural nylon color not black. Does anyone have NOS Associated 6274 when they were natural nylon? I'll trade you the new, unused RPM ones or purchase.
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

ROH73
Approved Member

Re: Ball cup blues

Post by ROH73 »

Can you cut the the ballcups down a little bit? As long as you have about 1/4" of the turnbuckle threaded in, you should be okay and they won't pull out.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, just take a sharp xacto and place the cup on a hard smooth surface, and cleanly cut a length off the end of the cup. Sounds like 2-3mm would do the trick.

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

ROH73 wrote:Can you cut the the ballcups down a little bit? As long as you have about 1/4" of the turnbuckle threaded in, you should be okay and they won't pull out.
It's the opposite problem, there's more than enough thread in the ball end. This will be a shelf queen so I'm being particular.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Did you use the short rpm ballcups or the long ones? I understand about being particular...never liked cutting ballcups even for my runners. Doesn't hurt anything but just never liked doing it. Been wanting to try the jconcepts cups but haven't had the time to do any building lately myself so can't help you out with that info.

If you are lookin for the white ballcups keep an eye out on ebay until you get b/s/t access. If you don't find them before then you can put up a wanted ad here and someone can pry help you out. Either way you might wanna start saving up now for them :wink:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

klavy69 wrote:Did you use the short rpm ballcups or the long ones? I understand about being particular...never liked cutting ballcups even for my runners. Doesn't hurt anything but just never liked doing it. Been wanting to try the jconcepts cups but haven't had the time to do any building lately myself so can't help you out with that info.

If you are lookin for the white ballcups keep an eye out on ebay until you get b/s/t access. If you don't find them before then you can put up a wanted ad here and someone can pry help you out. Either way you might wanna start saving up now for them :wink:
Todd
I used part #73381. Looking at them again, I just don't like them for this build. The diameter is bulky and they are too white compared to the aged nylon around them even though I had the other parts in Hydrogen Peroxide. Nothing on ebay this morning, will look better tonight.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

that part number is for the short RPM cups Todd.

The J.C. ball cups wont fit any shorter either. Like it was siad, on a car with the short front arms your best bet is going to be to find some stock assc white ball cups. what turnbuckles are you using? some have a wider hex (or square drive) than others. if you need a really narrow hex I suggest putting these on the car. they are long, so you need to cut them to length, but the look the part on an early car (dubro has made this same design for what seems like 20 years) and the hex is very narrow. They are a good option for shelf queen builds and you can outfit the whole car for about $10 the only way you'll get any narrower is to use 4-40 threaded rod and cut it to length just like the original kit.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTHT3&P=7

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

Those Dubro are the ones I'm using. I found a set of the original white Associated 6274 on ebay for the low price of $49.99. :roll: Thanks for letting me know the J Concept ones are just as long as the RPM.

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

PBR Allstar wrote:the only way you'll get any narrower is to use 4-40 threaded rod and cut it to length just like the original kit.
BTW, I do have the original rods I have and they are in fine condition, I just wanted the turnbuckles.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

esaresky75 wrote:I found a set of the original white Associated 6274 on ebay for the low price of $49.99. :roll:
which is why todd told you to start saving up for originals. :wink: