picked up my first rc10gt yesterday.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

airbats801
Approved Member

picked up my first rc10gt yesterday.

Post by airbats801 »

WOW this thing was everything I dreamed of when I dreamed about nitro rc cars back in the day. Other than the pull starter broke 4 times, and it being impossible to get going after I accidently found water, just wow. I was driving through grass with a lot of water in it. More than I thought apparently. I had it on the back wheels which it has sand paddles on lol. Basically wheelied through the water with massive water trails probably 8ft in the air, then I let off and realized oh crap the water is way deeper than I though, turned around and managed to kill it. I dont think there was any harm done, but it was getting cold and dark and we didnt have any luck getting it restarted after I drained everything iout.

I'm 30 now and I remember dreaming about nitro cars when I was young.I wanted a nitro stinger from kyosho so bad... then there was that usa nitro crusher. after that... My first was just a tamiya king cab, Cool truck, but the crap plastic chassis didnt last long. The first rc I bought myself was a rc10t as I couldnt afford the team truck. So here it is 20 years later or so, and I just snagged some old nitro stuff off craigslist for next to nothing. Man I have been missing out. I absolutely love it. I've raced 2 stroke karts and own 7 cars, so this tinkering with the car really gets me excited. So many people hate on nitro but I think they just dont wanna learn it. Once I got the thing started it was pretty easy to tune, it was almost like tuning my kt100 kart, but man was it fun.

I've been doing some research and trying to figure out how I will get this thing starting easier. I need to go buy a new pull starter as the one that was on it is basically dead. I broke the spring, broke the rope 3 times, and my arm hurts lol. Frankly I may just buy a bump box instead, but I'll figure tomorrow.

Frankly brushless never really exitied me the way this has.

As for the truck, I believe it has some upgrades. It looks like it has carbon fiber or maybe carbon kevlar shock towers, and the guy said it had steel gears in the transmission. I have no idea if thats normal though. It's a older blue pan. I am amazed at how well it rights itself in the air.
2x rc10 A stamped, rc10t, rc18t, 3x rc10gt tamiya stuff - fox, lunchbox re-release, Custom chevy clod crawler, cc-01 pajero, 2x cc-01, kt full option, and 3 HL tanks. Looking for a rc250 and rc500

Midwest_Mudder
Approved Member

Re: picked up my first rc10gt yesterday.

Post by Midwest_Mudder »

Hey, if you're having trouble with the pull start breaking, save some money and run to walmart. In the fishing isle there is whats called setline for catfish trot lines. you can get like 500 feet of it for 4 dollars and some change. 235lb test and its a touch smaller than whats in the pull start currently. it also holds knots extremely well. hope that helps ya haha
Raised on cornfields.... Killing on Paintball fields... Nebraska Baller Through and Through

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

just get a start box, do yourself a favor and put a cheap 4s lipo battery in it as well, it will start a mack truck.

I use an AE bump box with a turnigy 2200mah 4s lipo (a pack like that is about 20 bucks shipped from epay)

airbats801
Approved Member

Post by airbats801 »

thanks for the tips. Unfortunately my dad passed away tonight after a few days of being brain dead in the hospital. I probably wont get around to playing with it for quite some time now.
2x rc10 A stamped, rc10t, rc18t, 3x rc10gt tamiya stuff - fox, lunchbox re-release, Custom chevy clod crawler, cc-01 pajero, 2x cc-01, kt full option, and 3 HL tanks. Looking for a rc250 and rc500

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

My condolences.

airbats801
Approved Member

Post by airbats801 »

thanks. THere is not much you can say. The healing will take awhile.

It's been such a hectic week, but I stopped by the hobby shop and grabbe a .12/.15 pull starter, btu the damn thing has a larxer hex than my original .15 pull starter. I was pissed. I had just bought a gallon of fuel and was ready to rock nm roll.

Did ae change the pull starter setup from the early to the later engines?