My YZ-10, Broken Truck Wheel, Now Runner

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

andsoitiswritten

My YZ-10, Broken Truck Wheel, Now Runner

Post by andsoitiswritten »

Hi all, I'm new to this blog and wanted to say hello. It is cool to see people still interested in the YZ-10. I recently discovered this site after pulling my YZ of the box that its been in for the last 20 years. Its still in decent shape but I can tell I must have beat on it quite a bit. Also I had converted it into a truck with the JG conversion. I had crashed it into a curb which busted up the front bumper and destroyed one of the wheels back in the 90s. Whats the chance in finding a replacement JG truck wheel?

A recent visit to the hobby store and he called it a clunker and vintage.

Still has sentimental value to me though so even if newer stuff is better I will hang on to it.

I've attached some pictures from the 90's and one I took today of my broken wheel.

Again, I am glad to have found this site.

Chris
Broken wheel
Broken wheel
From Behind
From Behind
Street Tires
Street Tires
Jumping Speedbumps
Jumping Speedbumps

fakiee
Approved Member

Re: New here, My YZ-10, Broken Truck Wheel

Post by fakiee »

Hang on to this puppy, the early Yokomo's are awesome and the fact your is a truck conversion is even cooler. Someone on the forum was selling a set of the truck wheels.....in fact i've just found it:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20489&p=200910&hilit=yz10+truck+wheels#p200910

Would love to see this restored 8)

PS. welcome to the addiction...., oops I mean forum

andsoitiswritten

fakiee wrote:Hang on to this puppy, the early Yokomo's are awesome and the fact your is a truck conversion is even cooler. Someone on the forum was selling a set of the truck wheels.....in fact i've just found it:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20489&p=200910&hilit=yz10+truck+wheels#p200910

Would love to see this restored 8)

PS. welcome to the addiction...., oops I mean forum
Am I doing something wrong? When I click on the link or paste it in manually it says, "Not Authorized to read this forum"

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

You don't have access to BST section yet. Read the rules and you can apply for access after you have 20 or 25 posts can't recall exact number. It won't take long I'm sure "jwscab" who has the parts for sale may see this and well you never know.

This is all very interesting!

andsoitiswritten

Thanks to this forum I have some replacement wheels coming soon! :D

I'm looking forward to getting them.

Here is my yoke in current condition.
blog1.jpg
blog6.jpg
blog5.jpg
blog4.jpg
blog3.jpg
blog2.jpg

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

looks good! those arms sure are at a steep angle!!

what are the front arms made of? white plastic or aluminum?

andsoitiswritten

They are aluminum. My brother made them for me when he worked for the local aerospace company during the 90s.

Steep? Should I set the ride height so they are more straight?

andsoitiswritten

UPDATE

Update,

Would love to just restore this thing but its too much fun to let it sit on a shelf somewhere.

So I plan on make it run and hopefully better then it ever has.

Spending time with my son we got the thing pulled apart, cleaned up, and put back together again. Put on the replacement truck wheels I got, installed the old Novak 610RV speed control that used to be in it and charged the 20 year old batteries. To my clearly unimpressed son, it ran for about 30 sec, lol.

After a trip to the HobbytownUSA which is down the street from my place we had a new 3000mah Nimh battery pack that I had to dissessemble and reassble since they don't carry split packs there. Not a big deal to me, I solder all the time at work. Anyhow after throwing them in the car, without battery holders, cause the orginals are no where to be found, and my anxious son wanting to see this thing move, I cut the cardboard box the batteries came in and held them down with that. Not the smartest thing to do but the truck powered on and was ready to roll.

Got it outside and got about a min into it and the motor was literly smoking. Not hot but smoking but the speedcontrol was super hot. My first though was the new batteries were too strong. But after taking the motor out and cleaning it apparently the timing was off and it was just arcing and not moving, which is where the smoke was coming from. Found the bearings where ceased to the armature.

The motor, which I am not sure the turns, is a black can Reedy modified motor. I managed to get the bearings off with a small craftsman gear puller and cleaned them up which seemed to do the trick. I cleaned up the rest of the motor and put it back in the car for another try. Now the speedcontol no longer has reverse. Guess I burned it out, but it goes foward like a bat out of hell. So I wonder what a new brushless would do.

It does however make this awful grind like sound on take offs and I disscovered the rear belt is on its last leg but still working for the time being. We took it for a spin and this thing really zips, forgot how fast it was with the modified motor... BUT after a few jumps over the speedbumps and a lack of steering because the servo tape wasn't holding, the tires gripped just right and it did a litteral cart wheel down the parking lot. Nothing broken but the batteries all but flew out since they were held in with card board, like i said not a smart idea.

So I came up with a fix for that, I made a couple of bars out of sheet metal that I had and also made a bracket for my servo since I always had trouble with the servo tape holding for any length of time. I attached pictures of those.

Now the thing ready to roll again. Took it out and ran it for about 10 min jumping over and over again on the speed bump, just wasn't getting old, and after the run found that the 2 of the truck wheels cracked on the bead portion of the rim. A little epoxy fixed that however.

This thing is a blast.

I would like to get CVDs for this thing but I am considering doing the Koshos I seen in another thread here. Specially since the Mips are so hard to find. Just saw some on ebay go for $130 last weekend. Only question then is what kind of rim would be close to the JG truck rims. Not a for sure thing yet though. More important is getting the rear belt and then a new speedcontrol and maybe go brushless. So many things to do...

blog10.jpg
blog8.jpg
blog9.jpg
blog7.jpg

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

nice job on the fab work!

if you end up with kyosho universals, you can probably run some hpi or traxxas wheels with a hex drive, since the kyosho axles will have a threaded end and a pin drive.

back on my last comment way up there, yes, usually you set the ride height so that the arms are closer to level, for a truck, I would set it like you had it, just less of an angle. that helps your universals live longer too.

YZ-10
Approved Member

Post by YZ-10 »

Nice truck very rare 8)

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Nice restore project you got going.

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

One of the weakpoints of the old yz10 / 870c was the rear bulkhead design...there was no rear belt tensioner. That's probably why your rear belt is wearing down a bit. RPM made a version that had the rear tensioner built in. If you'll be running the truck, you may want to pick up one of those. You don;t want to strip those pulleys.

andsoitiswritten

Seen one of those bulkheads on ebay but somebody already won it.

Got another broken wheel, Either these wheels are weak (could be just old) or the rubber is just not enough to protect them. I did notice on the back of the wheels though that there really isn't much reinforcement like the stock wheels have.
blog12.jpg

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

WOW man....that really sucks....maybe it has something to do with such a drastic offset that those wheels have?

or maybe you are just hard core 8)

sorry to see that.....

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

jwscab wrote:maybe it has something to do with such a drastic offset that those wheels have?
Definitely!