LHS broken into

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vintage AE
Approved Member

LHS broken into

Post by vintage AE »

This is a really shitty thing that happened in my home town the other day. Someone drove into the LHS (literally) and stole thousands of dollars of stuff. It's the only hobby shop in the province, besides another small one focused on primarily planes. The owner is a big vintage Associated guys and has boxes of NIP parts along with tons of vintage cars. My heart goes out to him, to say it would suck would be a huge understatement.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/263222-thousands-of-dollars-worth-of-small-cars-stolen-from-hobby-store#.UM9TFqR2hy0.email

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: LHS broken into

Post by klavy69 »

vintage AE wrote: to say it would suck would be a huge understatement.
it does suck...understatedly. After some issues at the last location my LHS decided to invest in some security steps. Doesn't mean idiots like this won't come along but at least it will provide police with pictures. Hope your LHS owner had some good insurance.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Very strange. I was visiting Minnesota last winter and there is this cool weird little hobby shop 20 or 30 miles north of Minneapolis. He's really active in the pulling scene and also has a bunch of old and cool stuff sitting around. He was telling me someone broke into his store and stole a bunch of goods. He said he was 90% sure who it was, a couple regular customers. Needless to say they're not allowed in the store any more and he has since beefed up his security to prevent it from happening again. It just struck me as very odd. You've got yourself a nice lhs and then you go and rob it? People are idiots. I suspect that this is something similar, likely a former customer.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Police are looking for two suspects, so I am guessing they caught them on some sort of security footage. On top of it that looks like a painted storefront... their car is going to have damage and likely paint transfer. I am hoping the PD follows this through and finds these idiots.

I'll understate it too... this sucks!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

That does really suck, and my hunch is the perps were planning to liquidate what they stole via ebay or craigslist where unfortunately it's relatively easy for illegal merchandise to be converted to cash.

MelvinsA, when you were in MN, it's too bad you didn't have time to hit RC Car Kings which is on the southeast side of the twin cities. Good guys there with lots of cool stuff.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

LHS's these days have a tough enough time making a profit, what with the competition from all the online e-Tailers who are generally much cheaper, so my heart goes out to the owner of that store, especially at a time like this (right before Christmas).
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Groomi
Approved Member

Post by Groomi »

That really sucks.

I wouldn't even know where to find a LHS if I wanted to rob one. Practically extinct these days, and situations like this won't help the remaining ones.
Using my son as an excuse to relieve my youth. :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/MuzzoomModels

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

That's horrible :cry: I hope they get caught before the sell off all the goods :? Maybe they'll be stupid enough to put it all on craigslist and get caught red-handed.
-Kevin

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

Some idiot recently ran out of our local HobbyTown with a Traxxas RTR kit (probably worth $600, or more) - he had a buddy in a getaway car waiting on the other side of a ditch from the store...
-dldiaz

illshou
Approved Member

Post by illshou »

I live just a few hours from there. I'm also big into vintage and race regulary. i'll deffinately be keeping my eyes peeled for anything out of the ordinary. Does he happen to have any sort of list as to what was stolen?

Might be a good idea to keep an eye on the atlantic canada rctrader group on facebook. lots of crap on there

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

flipwils11 wrote:
MelvinsA, when you were in MN, it's too bad you didn't have time to hit RC Car Kings which is on the southeast side of the twin cities. Good guys there with lots of cool stuff.

Oh, yeah they are areally nice guy's there too and I have ordered stuff that is not easy to get but they were able to get it for me. They have a Website too...

On the subject, that really blows that people have resort to stealing. It truely is a sad world we live in. :(
Jeff

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

It sucks! The shop I work for has paint and parts stolen daily and we can never catch them! The south store had an E-Maxx and a Revo stolen by 2 guys last week!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I was in another shop up there too, can't remember of it was Car Kings or not but they had an amazing selection of stuff.

Here in NYC most shops that sell any kind of spray paint have it in locked cages so people can't take it. I'm sure around here it's mostly graffiti people stealing the paints though. Now and then they'll even card you before they sell you a can.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

It really blows that people are that desprate espically this te of year too. I an on sending the owner a nice email giving our support and to let him know we will keep our eyes open online. As mentioned earlier, it's hard enough running a small hobby shop while competing with large online stores let alone being vandalized and surviving.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Looks like the owner, Geoff Davis, has recently retired from his day job and is planning on spending more time at the shop and that this break in isn't going to hold him back. He said it just ruined the fun for a little bit. Apparently the shop was broken into twice before both times in March of this year. He installed bars in the windows, but nothing going to stop a vehicle from busting in. I'm sure he has good insurance, but I hate to see how much it's going to cost him after a 3rd robbery.

http://www.ns.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/Provincial%20News/2012-12-18/article-3142341/NS-Mighty-Small-Cars-targeted-again-by-robbers/1