Hard Case Samurai

The place for all things Marui.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RedScampi
Approved Member

Hard Case Samurai

Post by RedScampi »

Well, I bought this pile for too much money and now I feel I have no choice but to finish what I have started. :oops: I really did/do want a nice one of these so it's going to be worth the effort in the long run, but just like most of my cars it probably would have been smarter to pay for a real nice one to begin with. At least I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I built it myself... :roll: :wink:

Other than a parts pile, I've never owned a Samurai but I really dig the look of them. I have some parts on the way and more to buy. The most worrisome thing I can see without disassembly is the glued together trans case. I don't suppose these are an easy find anywhere. :( The tires were heavily glued to the rims with rubber cement. That proved to be a real b*tch to remove! Mostly done by manual abrasion with a variety of small tools and my fingers. The tires themselves, while worn, are not dry rotted and remain servicable if not beautiful. I sanded the outer edges of each rim to remove the worst of the scuffing and I may try to spray just the edge with some bright silver to represent the original chrome. Then again, Pargu's rims are very pretty indeed! Are there any other tires that fit these rims or I am I stuck withthese until I can score a better set? One last question. Is there any way anyone has found to at least lighten the yellow discoloration on the main chassis? I've seen that this seems to be a common afflction on Samurais in general. Enjoy the pics!
mini-DSC00396.JPG
Attachments
mini-DSC00395.JPG
mini-DSC00392.JPG
mini-DSC00407.JPG
mini-DSC00402.JPG
mini-DSC00397.JPG
Gary

Brandon G
Approved Member

Re: Hard Case Samurai

Post by Brandon G »

Looks like a promising buggy!

I had the same problem with my chassis before I scored a NIP one. I dont see any way to get rid of the discoloration. My plans WERE to get some grey Fusion paint and simply spray it.
You really have to be careful cause even the NIP chassis could be discolored if it had been left in any kind of sunlight.

The tires are definitely an odd ball size. Never had much luck finding a crossover tire.

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Way better nic than mine, Than again i only paid 80D for it.

So far i had to but new Body, Wing, Decals, Pargu 2000 wheels, Bearing Kit. Rear trans case. Motor cap, Motor C clip.

Thats so far.

Trying to sort out modern rubber to fit next.

Top looking buggy i say...
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

I sold one of these a month or two ago on ebay I was very surprised on what the final price was. I was expecting like 40.00 not 130's crazy money for these cars the one I sold was in worst condition then your car

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

the gray plastic is probably alot like the commodore and amiga computer cases....someone recently posted a link to an amiga forum where they found a really great solution to remove the yellowing. I believe it's something like hydrogen peroxide and oxy-clean, but you'll have to search that out for sure. it's probably worth a shot to try it out.....

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

jwscab wrote:the gray plastic is probably alot like the commodore and amiga computer cases....someone recently posted a link to an amiga forum where they found a really great solution to remove the yellowing. I believe it's something like hydrogen peroxide and oxy-clean, but you'll have to search that out for sure. it's probably worth a shot to try it out.....
I believe its posted in the in the peroxide thread

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Thanks all for the encouragement. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when I first saw this car in person. Like all second hand RC cars it was filthy and abused looking. After some cursory cleaning and the removal of the offending rubber cement from the wheels and tires I do believe there is a bit of hope though! I have a body kit, new wheels and roof panel from Pargu, roll cage, front arms and miscellaneous bits on the way to brighten it up. A full teardown is coming very soon. I will be trying the peroxide treatment on the chassis when we get some sunlight here in the wet and sloppy Northwest. Thanks for that suggestion. I too had thought about just spraying it with Krylon Fusion, and may still do that if nothing else works. One more question I have without reading the manual. Is there a lower chain guide or tensioner of any kind on these buggies? My chain is way too loose at the moment and drags on the chassis. I haven't investigated whether it is routed properly but it seems to go through the gear boxes smoothly enough.
Gary

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

I haven't got to the chain tension . Only rebuilt the rear gear box is rebuilt. Took a while to do as there is a center diff to figure out.

Gee if you think yours is bad what's mine than ???????

Keep us posted...
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Mad Racer wrote:Gee if you think yours is bad what's mine than ???????
I thought yours looked pretty decent. Also, careful photography helps conceal the worst stuff. :lol: :lol: I'll keep posting pics as I go through this thing.
Gary

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Ok, all torn up and nowhere to go. :mrgreen:
This is the current state of my Samurai project -and a number of other projects I ashamed to say. :( I seem to be good at taking things apart...
Anyway, I have some new parts pictured and more on the way. I still desperately need a front bumper and gear case halves. Most everything is cleaned, minus a few tedious bits. I'm anxious to get started on this one especially after seeing how nice Mad Racer's build is coming out. My tires aren't the best but thankfully they are not dry rotted or cracked. My hope is the bling from the new Pargu rims will blind people to the used tires. :lol: By the way, I bought this driver figure as going with this car but he seems absolutely huge! Does he go with this car?
Attachments
mini-018.JPG
mini-016.JPG
mini-014.JPG
mini-019.JPG
Gary

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

The driver figure is the wrong one Gary. This was from the COORS MELLING THUNDERBIRD.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

The gear case is a real problem.

I managed to get a new half only and it was for the non motor side. The motor side is the worst. I had to C.A glue mine.
I have just made a lexan under guard that extends right back to the cover half of the diff. Need to try to make a guard for the rest of the diff.

Driver figure i used is a Tamiya Frog one. I don't really care if it's not the right one. Mine is a runner.

What is it with most Samurai owners back than with the front mono damper has to have a spring??????
Mine was the same. Don't they understand this model has torsion springs???

Im still trying to make some tires up.

Keep us posted.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

The Samurai is awesome.

I had 2 cars a while back which I used to build up one good runner. Both were rough and needed parts to make it reliable. For the most part the Samurai is a great runner but it really could use a solid underguard to protect the chassis rails and gear box housing at the rear. If this was sorted you'd have a very capable and durable car for sure.

I drove the backside out of mine over a period of a few years and can honestly say it was brilliant! The stock tyres worked well (even if I went through a couple of sets) but was well worth every last cent and the effort that went in.

Mark and Gary, I know you will also get a lot of enjoyment from these cars too.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Just some footage of the Samurai I used to drive. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-sXuW2mgto
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

bormac wrote:The driver figure is the wrong one Gary. This was from the COORS MELLING THUNDERBIRD.
Ahh, thank you for that! I couldn't see him fitting in the cockpit very well. As it happens, I have one of those Thunderbirds too so I'll tuck him away to go with that car. As it happens there should be a Tamiya driver or two around here that might be willing to switch teams and drive for Marui. :lol:

Mark, I sent a note off to the vendor that I bought most of my parts from about a gear case but he doesn't have much left Samurai-wise so I will be going your route. I plan to ca the cracks then I'll probably bondo up the most unsightly scuffs, sand and paint. I have already decided to restore the chassis that way as well. Worst case scenario is that it looks horrible and I'll strip it and start over.
Gary