Any RC Cars made in America anymore?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

nvxwax
Approved Member

Any RC Cars made in America anymore?

Post by nvxwax »

Are any company actually making RC cars in America now? Not just have a corporate headquarters in America.

Don't take this the wrong way, I think a lot of the cars coming out of other country's are great, But with the current economy in runes in America id like to keep my money in the country, This goes for everyday life expenses also, not just RC.

I know a lot of members are from around the world, I hope nobody takes offense to this question, I have lost one job in the past two years because of the importing of paper to America. Its a personal choice but i feel better about myself to do all i can for the Middle-class of America.

I have all the vintage cars i plan on collecting, Id like to get into actually running some in the near future.

SO back to the original question, What American made Company's are out there in RC Cars, Cars and Parts....

Chris K
Approved Member

Re: Any RC Cars made in America anymore?

Post by Chris K »

You have stated what I believe to be a cold, hard fact about today's R/C world - there is NOT a lot that is currently made in the USA.

The only car that has SOME USA made components is X Factory and possibly the J Concepts 4 wheel drive car has some....

ProLine tires are made in the USA 100% and I'm pretty sure that Panther are too but over and above that, it's all overseas to my knowledge.....

Castle assembles their speed controls here in Olathe, KS (very near where I live) and they produce their circuit boards here but they use foreign components and their motors are imported (to the best of my knowledge) though made to their specs. Here's link to a visit I made several months ago - http://www.midwestrc.net/default.aspx?g=posts&t=573 posted on the message board I host.

And, the hard reality of all of this is that I don't see much opportunity for this to change either......

So, I guess (like you) we should support those that are manufacturing here in the USA!
Wherever you go; there you are!

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Speedmerchant cars are made in America - or so I hope!

This is a topic dear to my heart as well. I no longer but Team Associated since they are based in Taiwan. And when I refer to them its usually as Associated Electrics (the american brand). I try to collect cars that have a heritage - Yokomo - made in Japan cars, Associated - made in America, Tenth Technologies - made in Britain, etc.

I am not trying to get all sentimental. Remeber that whole deal, I believe it was Novak - not being 100% made in the US a few years ago.

I think even the Original Traxxas TRX cars were made in Taiwan at the time - not 100% sure. I know my TCP had a Taiwan sticker on it.

Then with all the outsourcing, who has to wonder why so many clones come out - the HPI 5B, Xray T2 - T3, Schumacher Mi 3 - 4, Tamiya 415 - 416, Corally pan car, heck even the Tamiya DF03 has been cloned. etc.

But then again - I will buy as I can and my resources permit 100% american R/C products unless it is another foreign piece (Yoke, ARD, etc.)

Just my 40 cents worth.

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Well I guess Castle, Proline and Speedmerchant is a start, I thought CRC was also made in the US, Maybe someone can confirm this.

I do love this Hobby but i could also find other things to do, I guess its kind of a personal thing to me. It also has not helped in the past few weeks a few of the big names in Rc have started throwing around legal threats when it comes to repro decals and manuals. I don't see any of them actually paying to get licenses to make the original decals again, It looks like they just don't want anybody else making money in the RC area.

I have already decided to boycott Tamiya, I have all the cars i ever wanted that they made (Bought new built from the original owner), I guess that is not making them any more money.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really blame any company from outsourcing, I have attempted to get some things made here (Rc and non RC), The problem i find is cost.

Example:
I order a part for work that is just a stainless steel fitting, We order 500 at a time, The US based shops that would take an order for 500 want $15.00 per part, Our China supplier will produce the same part with the same quality for just under $5 per unit.

Well as a company what would you do lol.

American company's want a fortune to make anything or they want you to order 1000 units. Americans are greedy (Me included, Im a gadget guy that likes all the new cool electronic), But at some point a person has to ask their self " do i really need all this crap?"

I try not to get political but the world economy will not work if all that are in it don't play by the same rules.

Ill stop my rant, Thanks guys, I'm making a list lol, Anything else anybody can think of please post it up.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

this thread sure makes me appreciate my collection a lot more.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Why are you boycotting Tamiya? They are a Japanese company and always have been. Their stuff is still made in Japan, no?

As far as legal threats, when people start bootlegging your work, maybe you'll understand a little better. It's funny how now reproduction parts are being reproduced and the repro men are getting bent about it. It's not the big companies' job to cater to your nostalgia, it is their job to protect their intellectual property. Good for them. I think it's a pretty absurd notion to think that they don't want anyone else profiting off of r/c. Hardly. They just don't want other people profiting off of their work. You want to be part of the vintage thing, buy vintage parts. Not new parts that look vintage. Seems pretty simple to me.

As for American made r/c stuff. If you're into Clodbusters, JPS, New Era and ESP are all still made in USA. You can put together a nearly all made in USA Clodbuster with aftermarket parts. Of course it will cost you a lot more than a Tamiya kit.

As for Americans and greed. It's a lot easier to sell said item for $5 a unit instead of $15 a unit when the person making said unit makes $5 a week as opposed to a living wage. There's a reason why Redwings cost more than Timberlands. There's also a reason why they last 10x as long.

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Why are you boycotting Tamiya? They are a Japanese company and always have been. Their stuff is still made in Japan, no?

As far as legal threats, when people start bootlegging your work, maybe you'll understand a little better. It's funny how now reproduction parts are being reproduced and the repro men are getting bent about it. It's not the big companies' job to cater to your nostalgia, it is their job to protect their intellectual property. Good for them. I think it's a pretty absurd notion to think that they don't want anyone else profiting off of r/c. Hardly. They just don't want other people profiting off of their work. You want to be part of the vintage thing, buy vintage parts. Not new parts that look vintage. Seems pretty simple to me.
Well maybe boycott is a strong word, I understand your point, Im not a repro man myself, i just feel a true vintage collector will find and buy vintage decals, Now some people are not collecting to be true to the original kit, some people just want the original decal design for runners and what not, everyone know the value of a car goes down without actual vintage parts.
MelvinsArmy wrote: As for Americans and greed. It's a lot easier to sell said item for $5 a unit instead of $15 a unit when the person making said unit makes $5 a week as opposed to a living wage. There's a reason why Redwings cost more than Timberlands. There's also a reason why they last 10x as long.
My point exactly, world economy is not equal, its a lot more costly to produce in the US, OSHA, Wage...

slowboy
Approved Member

Post by slowboy »

I thaught Traxxas and Associated were both made in America. Also team Losi...arent all these American?

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

slowboy wrote:I thaught Traxxas and Associated were both made in America. Also team Losi...arent all these American?

Most of those were Founded in the USA, but most use foreign manufacturing to produce the plastics or composites. I ad a long conversation with my Kyosho rep for our store, and just about everyone uses some form of foreign mfging.

I too can appreciate my fine vintage RC10s made of aluminum and materials that were made right here. We all must face the fact that cost benefit analysis has driven many people to seek production a lower prices at the expense of quality. There is also something to be said for the American worker as well, but i don't want to break open that can of worms.

I started a thread similar a while back about this similar topic.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=18545&hilit=China

Momo

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

tamiyadan wrote: novak made in the usa
In 2007 Novak had to admit that the products were no longer made in America.

But you are right - Traxxas were probably the first ones in Taiwan (big manufacturer wise).

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Post by Toasted Coastie »

New Era is based out of Nashua NH, and I use them for a lot of parts. They manufacture all their aluminum parts in house, and will do them in nylon as well as derlyn (sp?) The parts are pricey (ask me how I know :lol:) but are well made. In fact, you can get most ay car made by them in Nashua, but you will pay the price.....

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Customworks is made in NC, Hyperdrive is made in the USA, Calandra Racing Concepts (CRC) is made in Rome NY, KSG is made in the USA as is Silva Concepts-

( Yes I know these are all oval companies and no one here cares :lol: )

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Customworks is made in NC, Hyperdrive is made in the USA, Calandra Racing Concepts (CRC) is made in Rome NY, KSG is made in the USA as is Silva Concepts-

( Yes I know these are all oval companies and no one here cares :lol: )

Doesn't Tony Stewart own Custom Works?
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

steve
Approved Member

Post by steve »

he is a part owner, that is what i read on the web site