Not-Really-a-Beater-Anymore Raider

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

markbt73
Approved Member

Not-Really-a-Beater-Anymore Raider

Post by markbt73 »

I've never actually gone looking for a Raider, but somehow I now have two, and the carcass of a third. So I figured I ought to get one running, and see what they're like. So I took the sorry wreck that I picked up along with the GP-10 on Monday, and replaced the obvious broken parts with stuff I already had:

Bushings, "friction shocks," worn-out tires, cracked body painted on the outside. I didn't even open up the gearbox; just spun it to make sure it turned smoothly. Seems OK.

Still needs guts. I think it will get the ancient Futaba receiver and MC-112 that were in the GP-10. They seem basically functional.

Somebody really liked going up and down curbs...

Will try running it this weekend. If it does all right, it may live in the trunk of my car, just for knocking around when I have time.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Beater Raider

Post by Coelacanth »

That's the perfect car to have handy when your friend or some kid asks you to try driving one of your GOOD cars. :mrgreen:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Coelacanth wrote:That's the perfect car to have handy when your friend or some kid asks you to try driving one of your GOOD cars. :mrgreen:
That is funny and for sure what I would do. :wink:
Jeff

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

My thinking exactly. I have a somewhat nicer Tamiya DT-02 that I'm going to loan out as the "guest car" if/when I get my track laid out in the side yard, but this old clunker will be the one I take to the beach, or bomb around in the gravel lot at work, or whatever. It came with a newish 1500mah nicd pack and an old Pro-Tech timer charger too, so I can have a complete RC setup that just travels with me, and not risk any of the cars I actually care about.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Sweet! They weren't the worst car ever...and pretty durable except the RK-21. Yeah, I still remember the number 25 years later. :mrgreen:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Well, I drove this thing around through a whole battery pack yesterday, and... ew. No thank you. Everything wobbles, and it oversteers horribly, and it's slow, even for a 540. It's just no fun. I'd rather drive my spare-parts Pegasus, or my Grasshopper. Maybe I'll try my "nice" Raider and see if it runs any better.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

:lol: yeah they are pretty sad huh. Wait all week for nice weather and then whamo...disappointment. That's how it was with my Big Grizzly. What a pile.

I'm off to take my 12i for a lap at the greyhound track. 8)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

markbt73 wrote:Well, I drove this thing around through a whole battery pack yesterday, and... ew. No thank you. Everything wobbles, and it oversteers horribly, and it's slow, even for a 540. It's just no fun. I'd rather drive my spare-parts Pegasus, or my Grasshopper. Maybe I'll try my "nice" Raider and see if it runs any better.
I'm sure if you drive anything which is in that poor of shape, you'll get the same effect.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

So... did I mention I can't leave anything well enough alone?

The beater Raider is now sporting a Kyosho Mega Outlaw Stock motor (22 turns and way too much timing), bearings in the hubs and front wheels, a set of old HPI touring car shocks, and some 2.2 inch wheels out of my stash. Totally different machine, in looks and performance. Still won't win any serious races, but lots more fun to fling around.

Still haven't opened up the gearbox. Might not. It runs fine as it is. Needs softer rear springs to keep it from being so tail-happy, but totally worth putting a little effort into.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Very cool, and looks great! I have another raider chassis for you when your ready for another project :mrgreen: it's got the truck shock towers and longer plastic "oil filled" shocks. Quotes cause i can't any get oil to stay in em lol. It's in my way.
Factory Works website

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

gomachv wrote:Very cool, and looks great! I have another raider chassis for you when your ready for another project :mrgreen: it's got the truck shock towers and longer plastic "oil filled" shocks. Quotes cause i can't any get oil to stay in em lol. It's in my way.
I think I might have to take you up on that. Let me know what you want for it.

So I was rummaging around and came across this Pro-Line Tuber frame that I bought for a long-since-sold AX10. I think maybe this needs to happen...

...now where'd I put that Dremel tool?

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

All I want is it gone! It's taking up valuable space lol

That cage looks good on there 8)
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The cage does look intriguing. If there's one project I haven't done yet but might take on, once I've wrapped up the 2 Optimas I'm still working on, it would be a car with a cage, maybe like my own special vision of a Javelin. Lord knows I have enough Optima parts and I know what works to hop them up by now...

That Raider Cager would be cool, I hope you pull it off! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

gomachv wrote:All I want is it gone! It's taking up valuable space lol
Yeah, I have a Tamiya DT02 that I'm just about to give away too. DULL car. I'd take an old Raider over it any day. I'll give it a good home.
Coelacanth wrote:That Raider Cager would be cool, I hope you pull it off! 8)
"Tube Raider," I think... maybe I'll get a Lara Croft action figure to drive it... ;)

I was just looking at the cage, and found two places where it was cracked, just from sitting in a box. Not very confidence-inspiring. Maybe that's why they never caught on with the crawlers. I glued it back together, so we'll see.

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

As a bit of fun project basher its come along nicely - probably twice as good as it ever deserved to be now.

The cage will take it to another level - perhaps not for running purposes but as a side project it should be pretty cool :wink: