Anyone have a FlySky radio?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC104ever
Approved Member

Anyone have a FlySky radio?

Post by RC104ever »

I saw the 2.4 radio for 35 dollars. Reviews are all good but I wonder about long term reliability of a radio this cheap. Then again I could buy 3 of them for the price of one Spektrum.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

besty22
Approved Member

Re: Anyone have a FlySky radio?

Post by besty22 »

Yes I have one. I have found it to be easy to use and reliable. I got the new 10 model memory one. FS-GT3B (I think) not at home atm.
I say go for it. Receivers are $5-6 on hobbyking too.
Respect - Hard Earned but Easily Lost

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

besty22 wrote:Yes I have one. I have found it to be easy to use and reliable. I got the new 10 model memory one. FS-GT3B (I think) not at home atm.
I say go for it. Receivers are $5-6 on hobbyking too.
Yes - that's the one I was looking at. I was watching a couple of the youtube reviews and I really can't find any fault with it. I also stumbled on a thread on it at rctech.net where they started talking about mods to it (over 100+ pages!!)
- Chris

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

I bought the more simple FS-GT2 for my nephew. I think it was only $20 or something. Has been great so far. The super-cheap receivers are definitely awesome.

junkman
Approved Member

Post by junkman »

Other than them not having much trim adjustment, and the somewhat quirky setup menus they are pretty nice little radios. I gutted one and put the 2.4 stuff in a ko mars, so I could have a good feeling quality radio, with cheap 2.4rx's, kinda the best of both worlds. I bought a gt3b for my son to use because it fits his hands, and is cheap if he drops it or something. I've heard people say they have had problems if they get a few of them together, and the spektrum guys saying they are causing them to experience glitching, but for me playing around the yard it has served its purpose well.

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

Just bought 1 and 1 extra receiver, from Hobbypartz.com. My cuz has one, I tried it and it feels great, really light. Plus its backlit LCD looks cool, and you can name each model profile that its bound too.

besty22
Approved Member

Post by besty22 »

Yeah , Thats what I reckon. Cool backlights are the way of the future :lol:
Respect - Hard Earned but Easily Lost

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

glad someone posted a thread about there, was looking at them the other night, they look a little cheap made, but for $50 shipped and recievers for $10.00 i could outfit every car i own lol. would really like to hear some more reviews.

right now i have a airtronics m11 with the spektrum recievers, and those things are SO damn expensive... and since im looking for a new transmitter, i have either the choice between a used m11 or a spektrum dx3r, both are a few hundreds dollars...

for $200 bucks i could get 15 recievers and 1 transmitter, that would finally cut the cord lol.

notme
Approved Member

Post by notme »

On rc tech there is a huge thread about the radio, and list of mods they are doing to it. The biggest one is modifying the firmware to fix the trim shortcoming, and they ad a whole ton of other features...more model memory, sub trim, backlight on duration, mixes, button assignment ect. I bought the board for doing the mods, and was shipped a second one and have it for sale if anyone is interested.
Heres the reference page on the mods

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/394162-flysky-gt3b-transmitter-100.html
Bernie Casey
My vintage collection, rc10, rc10 ce, turbo optima ,xls, storm ,jrx2,jrx pro, xxt, inferno mp3

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Thanks for the link! Without reading the whole thread, can you give us the summary of how to do these mods?
- Chris

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i read it briefly, looks like u need to buy a programming unit for like $25 bucks, and download some custom firmwares people have made, looks like there are a few varieties. Not sure how hard it is to program them , looks like u need to pop the board out to do it.

notme
Approved Member

Post by notme »

Yes you need the STM8 Discovery board, anywhere from $8 to 20, install a program to your pc, make a 4 wire jumper (easily found on old pc parts).
Also get the updated firmware (.s19 file).
You only need to undo 4 screws that hold the cover for your screen, the point you put the 4 wire jumper is just underneath that.
Some guys solder a jumper wire from those terminals down to the battery compartment, for quick access w/o removing cover.
Running the program and updating the firmware only takes a minute. However it will erase all your setting and model mems.
For firmware there is a very basic update which fixes the little things like expo and trim, then there is more elaborate version that give you a ton of settings to play with.
Only problems I read was with windows 7, win xp is no problem but with win 7 it can be done, just run the program differently. Not sure of the details, you'll have to read the info on the thread. Im still using xp.
If you know someone into crawling, its a great radio for that, with mixes, dig, dual motor ect ect. You can also run a 6 channel rx and map buttons for lights, winches, whatever.

Here is a tutorial, http://www.rctech.net/forum/8976363-post1081.html

The firmware is available here, the latest is version 4, https://github.com/semerad/gt3b/tree/master/Releases

Any questions just ask. Im no expert on it but have done the updates without a problem. Its unreal how much theyve added to the capability!

I have a second STM8 board for sale, unopened, unused. Willing to sell for $20 shipped in usa/can. I'll include a cd with the program, firmware and a jumper.
Bernie Casey
My vintage collection, rc10, rc10 ce, turbo optima ,xls, storm ,jrx2,jrx pro, xxt, inferno mp3

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

Been using mine now for a few days, love it! I actually bound the reciever by accident without instructions. first binding for me too, very easy. The only downside so far is operating the 3rd channel thumb settings accurately, but then i realized that i dont need to. I started naming the model profiles... JRX2a, JRX2b, JRX2c, JRX2d, etc... :lol:

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Well I got mine today. Seems pretty nice, but there was no manual, can I download it somewhere? I didn't have to do anything I just plugged it in and turned it on and voila! It worked.

But I will say that compared to my ancient Futaba, the wheel feels similar, but power button, trim buttons and throttle and brake all feel much cheaper. But hey, its 35 bucks! And the receiver is sooooo tiny compared to the behemoth AM Futaba. If it works even as well as my old AM radio, it will have been money well spent. I foresee another one in my future.
- Chris

notme
Approved Member

Post by notme »

Manual can be grabbed from this page

http://www.flysky-cn.com/eDownload.asp?id=1
Bernie Casey