SWAPPING A STEALTH TO A MID MOTOR ??????

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

HIPMIESTER

SWAPPING A STEALTH TO A MID MOTOR ??????

Post by HIPMIESTER »

O.K. I have an rc10 with a stealth trans all on an flat dirt oval chassis ,I turned the rear end around and swaped the output shaft in the trans but it still runs in reverse, do I need a reverse turn engine ???

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Re: SWAPPING A STEALTH TO A MID MOTOR ??????

Post by Asso_man! »

That can't be, if you flipped the top shaft around together with the motor plate (they should stay on the right driver side) then your motor should turn the wheels in the forward direction (same conditions always produce the same effects)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

HIPMIESTER wrote:O.K. I have an rc10 with a stealth trans all on an flat dirt oval chassis ,I turned the rear end around and swaped the output shaft in the trans but it still runs in reverse, do I need a reverse turn engine ???
Or you reversed you motor wires. Remember to flip your diff as well, the adjuster needs to be on the same side as the top shaft-

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
HIPMIESTER wrote:O.K. I have an rc10 with a stealth trans all on an flat dirt oval chassis ,I turned the rear end around and swaped the output shaft in the trans but it still runs in reverse, do I need a reverse turn engine ???
Or you reversed you motor wires. Remember to flip your diff as well, the adjuster needs to be on the same side as the top shaft-

I have seen that mentioned before but never undersood why it needed to change. Regardless of the motor location the diff still gets power in the same direction. How does changing the input side affect the adjuster?

Nick

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Because if the right hand threads on the adjustment screw (5/64) the diff will loosen itself as you run as the rotation direction of the diff has changed

VintageCat
Approved Member

Post by VintageCat »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Because if the right hand threads on the adjustment screw (5/64) the diff will loosen itself as you run as the rotation direction of the diff has changed
Is this only true of the older stealth trannies? Associated doesn't even specify a direction for which way to put the diff in in current manuals, it's either/or.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

They do spec the adjuster on the right side for the ball diff- gear diff has no adjustment other than fluid

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

would they have a left and right outdrive if it didn't matter which side of the trans they were in? just something to think about................

VintageCat
Approved Member

Post by VintageCat »

scr8p wrote:would they have a left and right outdrive if it didn't matter which side of the trans they were in? just something to think about................
You need specific left and right halves because of the diff construction, of course... but that's a separate issue from 'correct' insertion direction The diff fits properly in the case no matter which way you insert it on the newer vehicles, I don't think I ever tried to flip one in an older stealth trans. Current (B4/T4) manuals do not specify either way, the old manuals always did. It will run either way without loosening up on current rides, makes no difference left or right. Just wondering if it never really mattered which way in Associated stealth transmissions, or if it did.. what specifically changed? I've always put the head on the right out of habit, but on our Kyoshos (and a neighbors SC10 that I'm designated mechanic for) it's on the left and runs without issue.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

VintageCat wrote:what specifically changed?
where they're manufactured......

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

VintageCat wrote:
scr8p wrote:would they have a left and right outdrive if it didn't matter which side of the trans they were in? just something to think about................
You need specific left and right halves because of the diff construction, of course... but that's a separate issue from 'correct' insertion direction The diff fits properly in the case no matter which way you insert it on the newer vehicles, I don't think I ever tried to flip one in an older stealth trans. Current (B4/T4) manuals do not specify either way, the old manuals always did. It will run either way without loosening up on current rides, makes no difference left or right. Just wondering if it never really mattered which way in Associated stealth transmissions, or if it did.. what specifically changed? I've always put the head on the right out of habit, but on our Kyoshos (and a neighbfors SC10 that I'm designated mechanic for) it's on the left and runs without issue.
Not to be argumentitive, but unless he had the FT version, it has a gear diff anyway- which has no adjuster. There is no lockout on the diff assembly, so it will unspool as you run it-

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

I'm the last to start an argument online since it's usually pointless, however :mrgreen:, I have always run the head of the adjuster screw opposite the slipper just in case I needed to adjust it, it's easier to get that turnbuckle off and on. I've never had a diff loosen up on me, either with an original Stealth, the B2/3, B4 or the 10GT. Just my own experience with the best differential in RC ;)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Might have something to do with the fact that we were running no slipper, foam tires and 4.5's

VintageCat
Approved Member

Post by VintageCat »

Charlie don't surf wrote: Not to be argumentitive, but unless he had the FT version, it has a gear diff anyway- which has no adjuster. There is no lockout on the diff assembly, so it will unspool as you run it-
It was the original SC10, yes it came new with a gear diff. He swapped the whole trans out for a t4 trans he bought on eBay from one of the sellers that was parting out new kits a while back. Runs fine, doesn't loosen up, works fine either way.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i guess this is one of those things where if it's never happened to you, then i doesn't matter which way it goes. but when it happens to you at an inopprotune time, like leading a mod edm a-main by 2 laps when your diff lets go, you might look at it a little different.

i don't know, it must just be a dirt oval thing............